The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-22-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Strings won't make as much of a difference as your right (or left) hand attack. It's not just how you hold the pick, but how hard or soft you strum or pick, using more of your wrist vs your arm, how you angle the pick against the strings, etc.

I struggled with the same thing early on in my playing while trying to sing along with it; I was drowning out my voice, or singing too loud to compensate for my lack of sensitivity and nuance in my right hand attack.
Great post, Jeremy.

Dave, Practice strumming, without singing, and try strumming the strings harder and lighter. Dynamics can add so much to a song and it won't take you that long to learn. I find that sometimes people may speed up the tempo when they try to play harder/louder so keep that in mind.
Old 04-22-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeDave View Post
Thanks for the tip guys. I will have to rework my strumming.
We all do, LeDave. But you're at a normal pressure point for someone who has been playing as long as you have. And you've just gotten a beautiful new guitar, but now you've got to learn to deal with how loud it is. Honestly, that's a good problem to have.

Here's a little "cheat" you can try. When I want to play something really soft, I grab a different pick. In my case it's going to be a Primetone .73 sculpted pick, a much lighter pick than what I usually beat the strings with. It's like an old friend for me, one who knows how to whisper.
Old 04-22-2021, 03:30 PM

Thanks again guys! Going back to the start again, I've always thought string and pick type does it most. I've just learned that it's more technique now that you've all helped.
Old 04-22-2021, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
We all do, LeDave. But you're at a normal pressure point for someone who has been playing as long as you have. And you've just gotten a beautiful new guitar, but now you've got to learn to deal with how loud it is. Honestly, that's a good problem to have.

Here's a little "cheat" you can try. When I want to play something really soft, I grab a different pick. In my case it's going to be a Primetone .73 sculpted pick, a much lighter pick than what I usually beat the strings with. It's like an old friend for me, one who knows how to whisper.

Like Bufflehead said, different pick thicknesses and composition, can greatly alter tone, along with volume.

I too am trying to improve my strumming, and along with different picks, I try not to dig the pick deeply into the strings.

The road is long, but enjoy the journey.
Old 04-22-2021, 03:33 PM

rework your strum attack and use a thinner, more flexible pick. for live venue shows i prefer .88mm but i've found that with streaming i don't want the guitar to be quite so loud so i switch to .73mm for those live streams.
Ovation Legend
Guild D40
Old 04-22-2021, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Dave, stop changing your strings so fast. Let them settle in. Let them mellow. It might not be the volume that’s bothering you, but that jangley tone that you like so much.
Old 04-22-2021, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Try “claw hand” strumming (no pick). You might even start adding a little finger picking in there. (adds interest).
Old 04-22-2021, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Dave, stop changing your strings so fast. Let them settle in. Let them mellow. It might not be the volume that’s bothering you, but that jangley tone that you like so much.
Thanks! This is a habit that I need to break.
Old 04-22-2021, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

I don’t like singing with new strings. It feels like I’m fighting with my guitar. After a few hours we meet up and it’s all good again.
Old 04-22-2021, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphH View Post
If you want to play quietly, put your pick back in your picket and play with your hand.

Or just get singing lessons; I used to have the exact same trouble as you, then I went and had a year of singing lessons and it made a huge difference - to every aspect of my singing, incluiding volume. With training/practice you'll be a LOT louder without straining and screaming. I easily drown out my guitars when i want to now.
This is really good advice--both about playing with just your fingers and about the singing lessons.
Old 04-22-2021, 04:40 PM

I had the same issue. So I joined a choir and learned how to sing louder. As this took a few years I also got an ukulele that I could play hard and I still felt that my singing could be heard. As others have mentioned it's the size of instrument and right hand technique that control volume of the guitar, but volume of the voice can also be altered just as much.
Old 04-22-2021, 05:03 PM

try using the rounded edge of the pick vs the point. I find it to be much quieter
Taylor 612CE

Furch 2018LTD (OM)
Furch Rainbow Series Jumbo 12s
Furch Little Jane

McFarland resonator
Old 04-22-2021, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
Try “claw hand” strumming (no pick). You might even start adding a little finger picking in there. (adds interest).
I dunno. Frailing can lead to banjo. It's a slippery slope.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeDave View Post
I have trouble with singing while playing because my voice is not loud enough and I don't want to scream. I need advice on which strings to use. Which 11 is quietest? Which 12 is quietest? And which 13 is quietest? Also overall, which is quietest without talking about gauge. Thanks.
I watched your video that you have in Show and Tell the other day. You have a heavy strum, but as you gain experience you'll start to control it better. I don't think changing the strings is the solution - that's more like a band-aid.

BTW when I was a flat picker I liked using a thin pick for light strumming and a medium when doing runs and such.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-22-2021, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post

I do claw hand and it works great.

And how about a mic?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion