The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-09-2021, 09:54 PM
spock spock is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 758
Default Good resources for introduction to Celtic guitar?

I am mostly a low intermediate player with occasional unexpected jumps into the intermediate realm. Can someone recommend a good introductory book, video or website where I can dip my toes into the Celtic fingerstyle world without feeling overwhelmed right from the start. I don't need absolute beginner level material, but would rather err on the side of easier rather than complex until I see whether I truly enjoy it or not. Much appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-09-2021, 10:57 PM
TBman TBman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 29,450
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock View Post
I am mostly a low intermediate player with occasional unexpected jumps into the intermediate realm. Can someone recommend a good introductory book, video or website where I can dip my toes into the Celtic fingerstyle world without feeling overwhelmed right from the start. I don't need absolute beginner level material, but would rather err on the side of easier rather than complex until I see whether I truly enjoy it or not. Much appreciated.
This is a book I've been using for over 15 years.

Jim Tozier's Celtic Guitar Solos

You might find it elsewhere besides Amazon. Jim is a member here also who drops in from time to time. The book is broken up into sections by the tuning used. It comes with a CD and Jim gives you playing tips as well before each tune.
__________________
Barry



Avalon Ard Ri L2-320C, Furch Yellow Gc-CR, Gibson J-45, Guild D-120, Larrivee OM-05, Martin D-16GT

Furch Yellow Gc-CR demo D'Addario EJ-17 strings. {DADGAD}:


Celtic covers - videos

https://soundcloud.com/barry329

Enjoying guitars since 1964.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-10-2021, 04:45 AM
Don W Don W is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Mass
Posts: 710
Default

Tony McManus DVDs
__________________
1980 Ovation Legend
Larrivee L09
Yamaha CG142S Classical
Fender 1996 American Standard Strat
Epiphone Elitist Casino
Kanai Lal Sitar
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-10-2021, 04:59 AM
Andyrondack Andyrondack is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Albion
Posts: 350
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock View Post
I am mostly a low intermediate player with occasional unexpected jumps into the intermediate realm. Can someone recommend a good introductory book, video or website where I can dip my toes into the Celtic fingerstyle world without feeling overwhelmed right from the start. I don't need absolute beginner level material, but would rather err on the side of easier rather than complex until I see whether I truly enjoy it or not. Much appreciated.
I realise that most people think that to play 'Celtic' music or this or that genre of music they should buy a book of arrangements created by a guitarist more advanced and gifted than themselves and then basically do what they are told and follow the instructions as written. I think that is the hard way of going about it, such an approach makes my head hurt .
There is another way which is more in keeping with the tradition of this music and learn to play it by ear , well as far as you can manage.
Couple of books I make use of are 110 Irelands Best Tin Whistle Tunes vols 1&2, mine came with CDs . I pick a tune I like, load it into a music slow down ap, select the first few phrases and just play along till I have got it, sometimes I stick at it till I have the whole tune down and sometimes I get frustrated by a phrase and resort to looking at the dots but I make a good effort first to get everything by ear, when I think I am done I check the dots because though my ear is slowly improving my skill at this is no way hundred percent reliable. This sort of music does not need harmonies to make sense or sound good but it does need to be played with real feeling and the way to do that is to learn it by ear.
The most haunting melodies are the airs which are the tunes to songs and a great way to get the feeling into your music is to do a search on Amazon music for a sung version where the melody comes accross clear and unambiguous ,download, slow down, put on repeat and play along. It can be quite difficult with songs in minor modes especially to know whether you have got every phrase accurately because if you have the scale correct then there will be fewer dissonant clashes than one would hear playing along with tunes in a major key. www.thesession.org is a site I have been making more use of recently, people post their version of melodies with downloadable mp3 files and there are many versions of the tunes. The mp3 files can be slowed down but I had to try a few different apps to find one that could recognise their files, for any one who does not read music then abc notation is provided but make the effort to learn as much as possible by ear, use the notation to check and test for accuracy and in time the skill level will improve.
When you are comfortable playing the basic melody in a few different locations on the fretboard then do an internet search on how to harmonise a melody using basic chords and intervals to create more of a guitar ' arrangement', this approach will ensure that your arrangements are within your technical ability because you will have created them to be so.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-10-2021, 01:15 PM
TBman TBman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 29,450
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyrondack View Post
I realise that most people think that to play 'Celtic' music or this or that genre of music they should buy a book of arrangements created by a guitarist more advanced and gifted than themselves and then basically do what they are told and follow the instructions as written. I think that is the hard way of going about it, such an approach makes my head hurt .
There is another way which is more in keeping with the tradition of this music and learn to play it by ear , well as far as you can manage.
Couple of books I make use of are 110 Irelands Best Tin Whistle Tunes vols 1&2, mine came with CDs . I pick a tune I like, load it into a music slow down ap, select the first few phrases and just play along till I have got it, sometimes I stick at it till I have the whole tune down and sometimes I get frustrated by a phrase and resort to looking at the dots but I make a good effort first to get everything by ear, when I think I am done I check the dots because though my ear is slowly improving my skill at this is no way hundred percent reliable. This sort of music does not need harmonies to make sense or sound good but it does need to be played with real feeling and the way to do that is to learn it by ear.
The most haunting melodies are the airs which are the tunes to songs and a great way to get the feeling into your music is to do a search on Amazon music for a sung version where the melody comes accross clear and unambiguous ,download, slow down, put on repeat and play along. It can be quite difficult with songs in minor modes especially to know whether you have got every phrase accurately because if you have the scale correct then there will be fewer dissonant clashes than one would hear playing along with tunes in a major key. www.thesession.org is a site I have been making more use of recently, people post their version of melodies with downloadable mp3 files and there are many versions of the tunes. The mp3 files can be slowed down but I had to try a few different apps to find one that could recognise their files, for any one who does not read music then abc notation is provided but make the effort to learn as much as possible by ear, use the notation to check and test for accuracy and in time the skill level will improve.
When you are comfortable playing the basic melody in a few different locations on the fretboard then do an internet search on how to harmonise a melody using basic chords and intervals to create more of a guitar ' arrangement', this approach will ensure that your arrangements are within your technical ability because you will have created them to be so.
At first I thought you were nuts for suggesting this, but I checked into it and found a sampler on YT. Interesting idea!
__________________
Barry



Avalon Ard Ri L2-320C, Furch Yellow Gc-CR, Gibson J-45, Guild D-120, Larrivee OM-05, Martin D-16GT

Furch Yellow Gc-CR demo D'Addario EJ-17 strings. {DADGAD}:


Celtic covers - videos

https://soundcloud.com/barry329

Enjoying guitars since 1964.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-10-2021, 04:20 PM
Andyrondack Andyrondack is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Albion
Posts: 350
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
At first I thought you were nuts for suggesting this, but I checked into it and found a sampler on YT. Interesting idea!
Nuts? Don't you understand that learning tunes by ear is how traditional musicians have learned their material for hundreds of years, thats why there are so many variations , the difference now is that technology means that any one can do it without having to have a musician next to them playing fragments of the tune over and over at a slow pace till the student gets it.

Last edited by Andyrondack; 01-10-2021 at 04:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-10-2021, 07:22 PM
TBman TBman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 29,450
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyrondack View Post
Nuts? Don't you understand that learning tunes by ear is how traditional musicians have learned their material for hundreds of years, thats why there are so many variations , the difference now is that technology means that any one can do it without having to have a musician next to them playing fragments of the tune over and over at a slow pace till the student gets it.
Why did you focus on

Quote:
At first I thought you were nuts
instead of

Quote:
but I checked into it and found a sampler on YT. Interesting idea!
You only read half sentences?
__________________
Barry



Avalon Ard Ri L2-320C, Furch Yellow Gc-CR, Gibson J-45, Guild D-120, Larrivee OM-05, Martin D-16GT

Furch Yellow Gc-CR demo D'Addario EJ-17 strings. {DADGAD}:


Celtic covers - videos

https://soundcloud.com/barry329

Enjoying guitars since 1964.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-11-2021, 05:50 AM
teson1 teson1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 6
Default

Have a look at Patrick Steinbach's Irish Guitar Workshop.
https://www.amazon.fr/Mondland-Works.../dp/B01JLSJCS2 (see the book excerpts)
The workshop provides easy steps how to turn the many nice tunes onto guitar arrangements.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-11-2021, 06:59 AM
SprintBob's Avatar
SprintBob SprintBob is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 4,469
Default

Tony McManus’s Celtic courses on Peghead Nation and Truefire are deep dives into Celtic music that include songs, theory, and technique.
__________________
Doerr Trinity 00 (Lutz/Maple)
Edwinson Zephyr 13 Fret 00 (Adi/Coco)
Emerald X-20 (all carbon fiber)
Eastman 810CE (Spruce/Maple archtop)
Froggy Bottom H-12 (Adi/EIR)
Rainsong APSE (all carbon fiber)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-11-2021, 07:42 AM
der Geist der Geist is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Cleveland, Oh/Sedona AZ
Posts: 267
Default

Check out ebunny on patroon. There is a YouTube Chanel too but the patreon is only 2 bucks a month and you can download the tab. Nice tunes, so far all in standard tuning.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-11-2021, 09:08 AM
Mr. Jelly's Avatar
Mr. Jelly Mr. Jelly is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Sioux City, Iowa
Posts: 5,663
Default

You Tube and internet tabs for me
__________________
Waterloo WL-S Deluxe with K & K mini

Another guitar playing hack
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-11-2021, 09:55 PM
ceciltguitar ceciltguitar is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 883
Default

Great free resource, thousands of tunes:

https://thesession.org/

Great books:

https://www.amazon.com/Celtic-Backup...0423436&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Celtic-Melodi...s%2C146&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Celt...s%2C146&sr=8-6

Have fun!
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=