The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-18-2020, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi2 View Post
Well I ordered a set of the cantiga/alliance strings from Savarez and I’m pleased as punch with the alliance trebles in normal tension. I’m getting a much fuller sound now, with less plasticky twang, especially up the neck. Thanks so much! Now I just have to settle on some wound strings - I think I might just stick with the cantiga basses, but in high tension for more punch.
Congratulations on the C10 crossover, I have one as well. Funny thing I have the Savarez Cantiga/Alliance strings on hand, ordered them on a whim. I love Strings by Mail, very knowledgeable and great selection and service. Next string change I will put them on.

Glad you found a string set you like. It can be very personal and there is so choice and they can make a huge difference in tone. It can be a never ending rabbit hole if you let it happen
Old 02-18-2020, 06:44 AM

I have the high tension savarez crystal whatever it came with and don’t like them. The base strings and treble strings are unbalanced on top of the treble strings dying 2-3 weeks of playing lol. Bass strings are super solid from this set.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:47 AM

As I indicated earlier, I love the Savarez Cantiga Bass strings in normal tension.

For several years, I was a big fan of the Savarez Alliance strings. Coming from steel string playing, they felt like steel strings under my left hand fingers. It was all I ever tried or used.

Most of the high tension strings hurt my left hand after playing for more than an hour or so. Especially when playing barre chords. Plus the sound seemed too bright for my tastes or the guitar didn't resonate as well as with normal tensions.

Recently, my taste in what I want from my sound has changed & my inclination is more nylon than carbon trebles now.

It took some experimentation to find them, but I like the Hannabach 815 normal tension trebles paired with the Savarez Cantiga basses. It's a nice even sound.

It can indeed be a deep rabbit hole of trial and error to determine what you like in classical strings.

Bass strings wear out before trebles strings. Unless you change all 6 strings every time you change strings,. You'll need to have spare bass sets available.

Fortunately, Strings by Mail sells classical strings in Bass or Treble only sets from all the major brands.

Experimentation with either type will only cost you about the same as what buying just the standard sets would cost you.

Dave
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 02-21-2020, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

For years I owned and played a Kenny Hill crossover. Lovely guitar but it did take me some experimentation to find the strings that best brought out the tone and balance of the instrument. Like some of you have already mentioned, I started off with nylon and then switched to the Hannabach Goldins but with a Savarez G string. That was nice for a while and then discovered the Savarez Cantigas for the bass and the normal tension Hannabach trebles. Lots of experimentation but once you get the sound and feel that you like, it is quite pleasurable to play with that nylon tone.

I sold my crossover a few years ago because I was just loving playing steel so much better. Kenny told me that he has discovered through experience that when it came to crossovers guitars, they seem to help people discover if they really want to focus on playing steel string or really prefer playing nylon string. If it is the latter then they usually buy a classical guitar.

I actually liked the crossover but due to space considerations, I sold it. I hate having a guitar sit around and not get played much. I would rather it found a player who enjoys it on a regular basis.

I hope that you continue to enjoy your Cordoba and find the strings that work the best.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-21-2020, 09:25 AM

Thanks! Yeah I’ve gone through about half a dozen different sets of strings in my two weeks with the guitar so far. I’m thinking alliance trebles in normal
tension with the cantiga basses in hard. Now that I’m getting closer to dialed in with the strings I’m really loving the guitar.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:26 AM

I’ll look into the hannabach too, but at this point I think I’d like to take a break from changing strings every two days!
Old 02-23-2020, 10:54 PM

Default Cordoba Crossover guitars, Aquila strings

The local guitar shop here in La Crosse is one of the best places in the country to try steel-string guitars, but they have only a small selection of nylon-string guitars. The hybrids I have tried there run from Taylors, which seem to be just standard Taylor steel models with nylon-style bracing and a wider, slightly flatter neck and fingerboard, to various Alvarez models that seem to be nothing more than classical guitars with a cutaway and a pickup.
Not being thrilled with anything I tried locally, I found a Cordoba C9 Crossover with a spruce top on Reverb at a very good price and took a chance on it. It seems to be a true classical body fitted with a neck having a 48mm nut and a shallow radius on the fingerboard. I play mostly fingerstyle steel-string, but do have a classical guitar on the rack. Compared to the classical, the C9 Crossover has the "classical sound" I was looking for, but the radiused fingerboard makes chording much easier, considering my experience.
I have only tried generic nylon and D'Addario Composite medium strings, but I bought some Aquila Alabastro in medium and hard tension to try out. The D'Addario carbon trebles can sound shrill, but the nylon trebles were so thumpy and dull that I prefer the D'Addario so far. Anyone here have experience with Aquila classical guitar strings?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical