The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 02-02-2020, 06:50 PM

Default Mandolin curiousity

I'm thinking I may like to try my hand at learning to play mandolin, even tho I know little about the instrument itself...I also should say, I like the sound of a mandolin, but I'm not interested in playing Bluegrass...

So, I'm wondering..

Pro's and Con's? "A" style vs "F" style? Oval soundhole? Details to look for, ones to avoid?

I'm not one to cheap out on any instrument, but I'd like to find something reasonably priced in case it's something I decide not to pursue...what brands are reasonable quality without going overboard?

Bonus question: An "F" style is a given, but how do you strap an "A" style? I strap a couple of my guitars at the headstock above the nut, but there doesn't seem to be much spare real estate on a mandolin to allow that...

Thanks for any advice...

Last edited by Denny B; 02-02-2020 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:28 PM

Here is my flow chart for deciding what mandolin to buy.

Do you want to play bluegrass?
No... Well then, you are an excellent candidate for a flat top mandolin. You can buy a handmade, professional level flat top mandolin from Poe, Howard Morris, or Big Muddy Mandolins (these used to be Mid Missouri Mandolins, both are great flat top mandolins). Any of these are high quality instruments that could last a lifetime.

Yes... OK, now you are about to embark on a lifetime of perpetual upgrading because you will need a carved instrument.

So, what’s the difference? Mandolins come in 3 basic “flavors”.

Bowlback mandolins are mostly for classical music. There are lots of unplayable bowlbacks at every price range, and IMO do not make good first mandolins.

Most mandolins are carved. Their tops and backs are carved like violins or atchtop guitars and this makes them expensive. If you want to play bluegrass, an archtop can have that crisp staccato “chop” that is the definitive sound of bluegrass rhythm mandolin. These start around $500-$600 for an entry level Eastman 305; professional American built carved mandolins like a Collings start around $3000 and go up from there. Among carved instruments, there are some choices that you should be aware of. Carved mandolin bodies come in A style and F style. F style mandolins have three point bodies and have the curved scroll. The body shape of a mandolin contributes to the sound of the instrument, but not as much as construction (carved or not) and the shape of the soundholes. Soundhole shapes can be F or oval. There is considerable variation even among F holes or oval holes, but to speak in generalities, oval holes tend to have a tubby, rounded tone, and f holes tend to be more piercing. But those are extreme generalities, and considerable variation exists.

If you don’t need that characteristic chop sound, you are a candidate for a flattop mandolin. These are built more like flattop guitars and therefore significantly less expensive than carved top instruments. Big Muddy (née Mid Missouri) are the most popular, but Andrew Poe and Howard Morris (among others) are making very nice handmade flattops under $1k.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:56 PM

F styles look cooler, but A styles don't sound any different and they are less expensive.

Both F and A styles come in either oval-hole or f-hole models. The f-hole style is generally perceived as best for bluegrass players and the oval-hole for "Celtic", folk, blues players. You can play anything on any of the styles.

A-style mandolins usually attach at the headstock. There's plenty of room. Can also attach under the fingerboard if the instrument design allows that. Here's a video (not by me):

I would recommend an Eastman A-style, either the MD 304 oval hole or the MD 305 with f-holes. I checked two highly reputable on-line dealers, and they both price both styles at $510 inc. gigbag.

Last edited by frankmcr; 02-03-2020 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

All good advice thus far. I came to mandolin from guitar a couple years ago and love it. My gigging mandolin is a Breedlove Legacy OF, and A style with F holes that is the best of both worlds IMO. They don't make them anymore so my mention of it is merely to add weight to the A style side of the equation.

There is less detail work in the typical A style so you get more for your money. There's a lot of love for Eastman here on the AGF,and I just bought an Eastman El Rey electric mando that is too much fun! Play some to get a feel for what you might like. Enjoy the ride, it's a great little instrument!

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-02-2020 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Edited.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
F styles look cooler, but A styles don't sound any different and they are less expensive.

Both F and A styles come in either oval-hole or f-hole models. The f-hole style is generally perceived as best for bluegrass players and the oval-hole for "Celtic", folk, blues styles. You can play anything on any of the styles.

A-style mandolins usually attach at the headstock. There's plenty of room. Can also attach under the fingerboard if the instrument design allows that. Here's a video (not by me):

I would recommend an Eastman A-style, either the MD 304 oval hole or the MD 305 with f-holes. I checked two highly reputable on-line dealers, and they both price both styles at $510 inc. gigbag.
What frankmcr said

Can't add much to that. I have an Eastman with no complaints.

Various stringed instruments
Old 02-03-2020, 03:40 AM
Charter Member

I play a Czech made F-5 style mandolin and would not part with it for anything (apart, possibly a 1924/5 Gibson F-5!)

The "A" style is the teardrop shape, the "F" is the scroll style.
The Scroll does nothing for the sound - but creates a perfect balance (and looks great) - and a it also makes this version more expensive.

As with archtops - for a good punchy projecting sound - choose the F-hole (the "5" style.

For a warmer, rounder sound opt for the "4" style.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LEBEDA F-5.jpg (22.8 KB, 325 views)
Old 02-05-2020, 08:58 AM

F style mandolins are what bill Monroe played. So traditionally they are bluegrass
Instruments. Gibson to be exact. That being said there are many A style mandolins that sound the same. The traditional a style the neck meets the
Body at the 12 fret. This is of course a bit limiting. But there are A5 models
That meet the body at the 15 th fret. Which is the same as the f5.
These sound the same as f5 style mandolins but are usually half the price.
The scrolls and horns on a f5 style mandolin are solid. And really don’t contribute
To the sound. What you pay for is all the labor that goes into making those scrolls and applying the binding. So an a5 is really more bang for your buck.
Unless you are a diehard traditional old timey player. I would not get an o hole
12 fret mandolin.As their sound is really different than the f5 or a5 style.
Which is more what you think a mandolin should sound like.
Try www.themandolinstore.com.
There is a post here on agf “other” classified for a Collings mf5 fern.
It’s a steal at about half price plus. But still may be more than you want to pay.
But it would be a lifetime Inst. and you could probably alway get your money
Back.

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-05-2020 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Not allowed; Edit corrected.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:41 AM

Attachment 32819
I picked up this little pretty on reverb.com
I can’t afford American timber, but I am really happy with this Eastman.
Spend a little more than you planned, it will make up for itself in playability and you’ll be more likely to really give a go at learning the instrument.
Oh, BTW, I’m a rock guitarist. No bluegrass, new grass, true grass here. Winwood, Zevon, Clapton sort of stuff.

Last edited by Chickee; 07-08-2022 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:57 AM

I am also in "Learning" mode. There's a lot to this little thing..

(I'm not into bluegrass)

I've been using this Washburn for a few years now. About 3 fiddy new..

Old 02-05-2020, 12:34 PM

Great recommendations here already. I agree with most of them. If you want to play bluegrass, then an Eastman A style is a good first mando. If not, I would highly recommend a Big Muddy or Northfield Calhoun as a good option to learn on. I learned on a Big Muddy, though I mistakenly bought the wide fretboard version which I later regretted. Mandolins necks feel tiny at first but you get used to them and the wide fretboard made it harder to learn 4 finger chords....

I suggest getting what sounds good to you. I think most of the thoughts about F hole versus oval hole are overblown these days with modern amplification. The whole "cutting though the mix" argument would only apply to an acoustic only situation, but I digress. Same goes for A-Style versus F-Style. To my ear, there is no difference all else being equal. The argument is entirely aesthetic. Get what looks good to you.

I ended up getting a Collings Oval hole A-Style as my second instrument and I love it. Collings makes a great oval hole in the MT-O. Getting a used MT is another great option if you want to level up. Northfield is definitely worth a look as well.

All that to say, mandolin is very fun and makes way more logical sense to me than guitar. Instruments strung in fifths are awesome. But be prepared to spend around double to triple for equal quality than guitars because they are harder to make and more niche.
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 02-05-2020, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

It's hard to go wrong with an Eastman MD-305 as a high quality entry level instrument. It covers all ground and the quality is amazing for the price.

I didn't see others mention the value of a setup but it's of utmost important when buying a mandolin.

Rob

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-05-2020 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Not allowed
Old 02-05-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar12 View Post
It's hard to go wrong with an Eastman MD-305 as a high quality entry level instrument. It covers all ground and the quality is amazing for the price.

I didn't see others mention the value of a setup but it's of utmost important when buying a mandolin. That's why, in my opinion, the place to get it is from Dennis Vance at www.themandolinstore.com. He'll give you the best advice, the best price, free shipping and that pro setup that will make it play like a dream right out of the box. NFI, just a satisfied customer.

Rob
Second that. It pretty much is "the" mandolin store.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:43 PM

I went with an a style, used mando and was able to get a much better mandolin than I could otherwise afford. I found an 09 American made Breedlove Quartz A style f hole and am very happy with it.

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-06-2020 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Not allowed.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar12 View Post

I didn't see others mention the value of a setup but it's of utmost important when buying a mandolin.

Rob
This is a good point. Much like my advice with respect to fiddles/violins, where you buy is almost as important as what you buy. An Eastman 305 from a reputable mandolin dealer like The Mandolin Store would be a very good starter mandolin.

I forgot to mention the Northfield Calhoun in my list of quality flattop mandolins under $1k.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

I'll never play bluegrass. That was my carved in stone opinion five years ago. Around three years ago, I heard a lick that sounded like fun to play. Then another, then another. Never say never.

Played fiddle tunes. Oh, that one's nice. Written by Bill Monroe you say? How about this one. It's so much fun. Monroe again? And again, and again? I still don't play bluegrass, I just know a lot of Monroe tunes.

I have a lot of respect for the 300 series Eastmans, but if you spend $1200 on a Silverangel you won't be sorry. It's that pesky G string that doesn't sound right until the 900 series Kentuckys or the entry level US makers. A warmer voiced carved top A style will cover all the bases. If you want a scroll, get your wallet out. It will be flat when you walk out of the store. But spending $3K on a Northfield F 5S or the oval hole variant wouldn't be a bad way to go.

Neithier would a Gilchrist, LOL.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments