The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-10-2019, 10:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
…Never heard the term "folk position" before, is it in common usage?
…Classical position requires a foot stool, doesn't it?
HI frankmcr

Folk position is not a common term, nor do all people who DO NOT hold guitars in a classical position hold their guitars the same way.

Classical players vary their positions some, but are much more similar than other styles of players. And dropping the guitar between the legs (off the left knee) doesn't necessarily constitute classical posture.

And if there is an area of difference among classical players, it's the angle they elevate the headstock at. Some are as low as a 45° angle whereas others have the headstock nearly vertical.

Traditional Classical posture does include the use of a footstool, but modern classical players are varying things to avoid lower back and wrist/hand/arm issues (repetitive use issues). Some use a lift as opposed to a footstool so both feet remain flat on the floor.

I expect more people who play classical position will respond to the thread than those who do not.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-11-2019, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRuskin View Post
You've answered your own question. It makes no difference what position others use.
Spot on.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_picker View Post
I thought the folk position was when the guitar is on a strap around your neck while your standing in a protest line.

Ah, those were the days, my friend!
Old 04-11-2019, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I don't know why, but I had to lengthen my strap. I have the guitar angled up so the headstock is almost even with my chin.
If I were to have the lower bout between my legs then yes the strap is longer. I have it resting on my right thigh or just to the right of it. This position really only works for smaller bodied guitars. The Larrivee L01 is a big bodied guitar and is played "folk" style but with a strap to elevate the neck a bit.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:47 AM
Charter Member

''Quote:
Originally Posted by RRuskin View Post
You've answered your own question. It makes no difference what position others use.''

''Spot on. ''

Actually, these were my questions;

'' Which do you use? What are the advantages to you? Would you ever think of switching?''

I don't see how I could have answered them myself. And I agree that it makes no difference but I thought it would be interesting to see which way others played when seated.

One advantage of the classical position is that it puts the guitar in almost the same position as when you are standing.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:24 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I've only been playing for a little over 2 years, always in the folk position with the guitar on my right hip. This morning I tried the classical position, with the guitar on my left thigh. I really like it. It feels very comfortable and I think my hand like the angles that they are hitting the guitar. And it feels like I have better control of the guitar.

Which do you use? What are the advantages to you? Would you ever think of switching?
I've always played, sitting, with the guitar on my right leg.

I would never think to ask anyone if I should change, or why I might want to change. If my back/neck/wrist were hurting I'd try something different in order to continue playing.

Your comfort/hands/arms/eyes/general economics TOLD you that classical style position is better on several levels.

You are your own committee.

Best regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 04-11-2019, 04:38 AM
Charter Member

Please read the post above yours. I didn't ask anyone if I should change my position. I'm already in the process of changing.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:40 AM

I have played for decades using the classical position. I started after a long rehab recovering from a repetitive use injury from poor wrist position.

My apologies to those who feel it looks pompous, odd or silly, but carpal tunnel syndrome and related injuries suck.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 04-11-2019, 04:42 AM

I use both depending on how I'm seated, but always in standing position when on the job.

There are a lot of benefits of using the classical holding position which can be mimicked in the standing position, one of the most important being holding the neck in a higher position.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 04-11-2019, 05:52 AM

Due to a rotator cuff injury, right leg is impossible. Just can’t go up and over the lower bout. Luckily I am not a guitar position away from looking cool!

The times I do try it, I’m surprised how different the guitar sounds.

I do wish I could do right leg so the reach with my fretting hand was easier. I should probably just always use a strap, allowing me to put it wherever I want.

I also noticed if I do place it on my right knee, the guitar is incredibly unstable. Don’t know if it’s my personal anatomy or I’m doing it wrong.

Gretsch 6228FM
Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster
Michael Tuttle T style

Last edited by MIGAS79; 04-11-2019 at 05:58 AM.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:59 AM

Both, but mostly classical.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:11 AM
Charter Member

I have tried the classical position but it never got to where it felt comfortable. I lift the right leg over the left and put the guitar on my right thigh. Works just fine for me, and feels comfortable.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

I do use a strap and this morning I found out that my left leg, the one the guitar rests on is almost straight out, like before. It's facing right at my music stand. The right leg is sticking way out there away from the guitar.

It feels really good. I have better control of the guitar. And I think I have better posture. And for some reason, I can hear the guitar better.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:13 AM

I'm short, small hands, and spent too much time working at a PC. I utilize classical or I have pain issues.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:23 AM

Straps hurt my shoulder after about an hour of playing. I've tried every configuration and strap out there with no success.

I use a De Oro guitar support which allows me to use either leg. It also raises up the neck of the guitar and makes fingering a lot easier.

A lot of choosing which leg depends on my mood and the guitar.

A 12 fret guitar is comfortable on either leg, but a 14 fret guitar seems like I'm reaching too far. So it'll be played on the right leg.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion