The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-20-2019, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

I use a strap while seated. The end result is a halfway point between classical and folk without any stress from wrestling with the guitar to keep it steady.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-20-2019, 05:37 PM

I play classical style...although I started out on classical, so that has a lot to do with it. It’s much more ergonomic, and as I’ve gone back to playing classical on a very serious level, I struggle to play my acoustic in anything but classical position now.
1986 Charvel Model 3A electric

2001 Fender Jazz standard bass
1935 A-00 Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin
Kelii soprano ukulele
Old 04-20-2019, 08:32 PM

I used classical way on my left hip all my life until I took personal course last year : my teacher showed me how playing folk fingerstyle on my right hip would ease many of my technical problems. Been a year now and I do not mind going back on left hip.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfreydaniel View Post
I switched to classical position a long time ago. It worked better for me, particularly for my left (fretting) hand. I also play 000 or smaller guitars. Trying to raise my left leg could be difficult at times if I didn’t have something to put under my foot. I tried the NeckUp leather guitar support, and it worked great. At some point I tried using it on my right thigh, and that was even better. When I had the guitar on my left thigh (with or without the NeckUp), I had my back slightly twisted to my left. With the NeckUp on my right thigh I don’t need a foot support, my back is no longer twisted, and the neck is raised like a classical position so my hands are in the best position for me.
Another enthusiastic NeckUp user here. I don't know what I would do without it. I have three of them (two in my guitar room and one that travels with me).
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 04-21-2019, 03:18 AM

How does that NeckUp compare to the other braces and supports out there, apart from being a bit more luxuruous because made with leather?

The official site only shows the thing on the guitar but remains mum about storage and transport - can it be collapsed somehow to take up less space, and is there a part you can leave on the guitar to make it easier to put it back on in the desired position?

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 04-21-2019, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
How does that NeckUp compare to the other braces and supports out there, apart from being a bit more luxuruous because made with leather?

The official site only shows the thing on the guitar but remains mum about storage and transport - can it be collapsed somehow to take up less space, and is there a part you can leave on the guitar to make it easier to put it back on in the desired position?
I don’t know that it’s being made of leather makes it luxurious, but like a leather strap I don’t have to worry about it scratching the finish on the guitar. It also gives it a little flexibility which I like. (I haven’t tried other supports that are made of harder materials.)

Regarding where to store it - it collapses and I can put it under the headstock in my guitar cases.

The maker doesn’t recommend leaving the suction cup on the guitar, I only put it on when I’m playing. It’s easy to attach. It does come with acetate sheets that you can put on the guitar where the suction cup attaches. I only use them on my Waterloo guitars - the Waterloo finishes don’t have the pores filled, and the thin unpolished finish allows enough air to get in that breaks the suction cup seal, so the acetate sheet fixes that issue. I previously asked on this forum whether anyone had a problem related to using the sheets - someone did respond that they had used them for some time and had no problems.

Regarding maintaining position - the NeckUp attaches on one end to a guitar’s end pin like any guitar strap. There are two holes about an inch apart you can use - I find this useful for different size guitars. If you do need to adjust it it’s pretty easy. There’s a video I found on YouTube that shows how to do it that I found very helpful. I was a little unsure about how best to do it before I saw the video.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:09 AM

Left leg, and I prefer it slightly elevated, with the neck somewhat raised, but not to the same degree as when I play Classical.

Justin Guitar suggests trying both and seeing which suited your body mechanics better, which I think is always sound advice
Old 04-21-2019, 06:56 AM

I always played with the guitar on my right thigh, without a strap unless standing. After developing left wrist tendinitis, I began using the Neck Up device. This helped quite a bit with the pain. Then, like a fool, I went back to the old way. I don't have to tell you what happened.

I have tried the classical position many times, but it always feels awkward.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:04 PM

I'm surprised at all the straps-while-seated and classical responses. Seems a little high-maintenance to me. I'm a simple "folk" player I guess.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:01 PM

The late John Fahey played huge dreadnoughts in the classical position. It seemed to work alright. People must play in the most comfortable manner for them..the important thing is the sound coming out if the instrument.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovgren View Post
I'm surprised at all the straps-while-seated and classical responses. Seems a little high-maintenance to me. I'm a simple "folk" player I guess.

Yes, strap while playing in the classical position. Nothing high maintenance about it. I use a single layer leather strap that I can leave on the guitar and roll up when I put the guitar in the case. Nothing high maintenance about it.

Two of the really good players in my jam group play dreads in the classical position. I was thinking of getting a dread adn I wanted to take the body size out of the equation so I tried the left leg position. The position is staying for now, even though I didn't get the dread.

Maybe if we just called it ''left leg position'' people wouldn't worry about it.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:37 PM

Is there any other way to play guitar?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo-of-t-bone-walker-1464797415.jpg (48.2 KB, 59 views)
Old 04-23-2019, 01:53 AM

There may be an answer to that in the Moonshine & Mojohands series (glimpse at about 0:25 in the intro; http://www.moonshineandmojohands.com/)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbekken View Post
The late John Fahey played huge dreadnoughts in the classical position.
And just about any other more or less "normal" position. It seems that the size of the instrument removes the need for foot or guitar supports, or a strap.

https://www.google.com/search?q=john...vJNv8-hsNJZPM:

Nothing high maintenance about a strap indeed. Simple leather strap here too which remains on the guitar. The only things that have me thinking about finding an alternative:
- it's really short, so a bit cumbersome to get in. It's one of those models that don't allow fine adjustment so it's either too long or a tad short.
- Being a tad short means my shoulder and back carry more weight than I'd prefer which isn't ideal.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)

Last edited by RJVB; 04-23-2019 at 02:15 AM.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Band Guitar View Post
I don't care if it looks pompous.
Well, I can pompous any time, any position...

I use both seated, whatever I feel. And that include electrics. The only disadvantage in classic position with a 14 fret guitar is a tendency to get my flatpick too close to the bridge and the resulting bright tone. Have to watch that.

Last edited by srick; 04-25-2019 at 04:31 AM. Reason: edited quote, removed masked profanity
Old 04-23-2019, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovgren View Post
Most guitarists are oblivious to ergonomic techniques until they injure something. I've been in more than a few bands where a guitarist or bassist had surgery on their hands. AFTER that, they tend to pay a little more attention. The added efficiency comes in handy when playing for long periods of time and/or playing more challenging parts.

Without classical technique or posture, I'd never be able to play a dread, jumbo, or my 35" scale 6 string basses. My fretting hand used to get very fatigued on a 5 string bass because I insisted on using a "rock n' roll" posture.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion