The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-10-2004, 02:23 PM

Default Replacing my pickups or guitar??

I've been using an Epiphone Sheraton semi hollow body which has had the neck pickup replaced with a Bartollini (done by the prior owner). I'm considering either replacing the pickups or the guitar. While I like the feel and style of the guitar it is very heavy on the base and lacks clarity and strength in the treble. (I'm an acoustic player by training but use the electric regularly as rhythm guitarist with a band). Any suggestions and/or recommendations would be appreciated. What pickups do you suggest and how much should it (or they) cost to install. Am considering using ebay to purchase a similar guitar with replacements already made. Good idea?? Thanks for your thoughts!
Epiphone Sheraton
Taylor Baby
Old 03-11-2004, 06:12 AM

Koop,

This is one of my favorite guitars, so let me know if you decide to sell. That said, high quality pickups will definitely improve the sound of your Sheraton. The stock pickups are a weak point, and I don't think much of the Bartolini pickups for this type of guitar. These guitars are naturally a bit more mellow than a solid body electric. If you're doing thrash metal--you need a different guitar. They are great for blues, and jazzy pop.

I would look at the Seymour Duncan Website, and you can get lots of information on pickups there. Their Antiquity PAF, Alnico Pro II, Seth Lover, '59 PAF, or their Jazz pickups would be good pickups for a rhythm guitarist seeking more definition. They will still offer warm humbucker tone. The Antiquity, the Seth Lover and the '59 PAF are definitely vintage sounding; though all are slightly different.

Often players will combine one of the milder pickups above in the neck position with a hotter pickup for lead, like the JB for it's hotter, fatter midrange tonality.

There are humbucking pickups that offer the sound of single-coil style pickups. Single-coils tend to have better string to string definition and are ususally less muddy sounding. Standard humbuckers set to sound like single-coils can then be harsh sounding--and still muddy.

There are lots of choices, from lots of companies. Pickups can run from the tens to the hundreds. If you're knowledgeable, and handy with a soldering pencil, you can do it yourself--but if you have any doubts or lack this kind of experience--take it to a luthier. Pickups are somewhat fragile.

Be sure to keep your original pickups to sell with the guitar.

Bill
Old 03-14-2004, 09:28 AM

Bill,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Seem that I've got a bit of homework to do. For my needs the guitar is great, just needs a bit of work. No way I can change the pickups myself. Tough part is that you can't really test it out before making the change. I'll let you know if I do decide to change insruments.

Thanks again. Glenn
Epiphone Sheraton
Taylor Baby
Old 03-14-2004, 11:35 AM

I've got a Epi Sheraton also and it's been very good to me on everything from big band jazz to surf music and rock and roll along the way. I changed the tuners years ago and I'm on the verge of putting in new pickups also. I've been looking at the Harmonic Design Z-90 single coils. They get great reviews and I'm a huge fan on P-90's anyway so it's a perfect fit for me.

http://www.harmonicdesign.net/index.html

http://www.marklyn.info/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification