The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-07-2022, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
Photobombed by the best.
Old 10-07-2022, 12:46 PM

Default My Angel Rosette

I like the way the rosette is turning out. This is all going to be so nice with Gramp’s piano ivory. I know he is smiling down on this project. I may take some of the “scraps” to make a matching bracelet, necklace and earrings!

‘22 McKnight, Deacon, Pau Rosa/1950 Vintage Redwood
‘18 McKnight, Skeeter, Honduran Mahogany/Adirondak Red Spruce
‘92 Washburn, D-1312N, Spruce/Mahogany, 12-string
‘20 KoAloha, Tenor, Silver Anniversary, Hawaiian Koa Uke
‘10 Ohana, CK-75CG Ltd. Ed. Uke, Flamed Maple/Spruce
‘06 Kala Soprano, Ziricote Uke

“Music is well said to be the speech of angels”
Thomas Carlyle
Old 10-07-2022, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
These build threads are always a treat - especially when you get to be there for the inception. How long does it take start to finish for a build nowadays and do you charge people rent if they offer to move in?
Plus you can learn how to do something different or better if you pay attention, one of the best things about this forum and the internet.

Bruce,
Old 10-09-2022, 08:01 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
These build threads are always a treat - especially when you get to be there for the inception. How long does it take start to finish for a build nowadays and do you charge people rent if they offer to move in?
We never really know the time frame from start to finish. It all depends on having the right parts and pieces for braces, peg heads, bridge pins, tuners, etc ... inlays, family situations, woods disobey, machines get attitudes, she volunteers in the depth of the local ER, he has duties at the place where I'm not sure if I am allowed to speak of due to rules. We occasionally have private shop tours, new build orders or local visitors delay ... blah, blah, blah.

Neil, if you move in it will take longer for Tim to build because you would pick up the tools and begin crafting for your own fun and experience tells me as the guilty one that you might leave the tools in a place convenient for you, but he wouldn't be able to find them. This is why Mary has her teeny section of the wood shop and Tim gets all the rest. It sure omitted the thousands of times back in the day when one of us would have to shut the entire shop down for peace and quiet so we could ask a question, "Do you see my ...name item here... any place in your area?" I tell ya what. Those pictures you see on this thread are in a camera that has disappeared in the past more often than not. We would stop and say, "I was in the wood room. Then I went to the band saw. Next we were at the bench. I had it ...wait, you had the camera last. You went in the house to fix a snack. What was the last picture you took. Look at the camera and see."

Awe, that sounds like an easy comment, but where is the camera?

So, to answer a question like that I can only guesstimate the time frame better after we have all the details of the customers desire if the customer makes no changes. In this case, My Angel (Teri) has a definite clue what she wants. Clean, simple, sound, angels. She came here to pick her wood. She tone tapped with Tim. She came to a McJam to hear y'all talk about your own experiences. Barring any unusual changes or life situations and the fact I do not have to trust airlines and delivery services, I trust that her guitar should be in her hands by Christmas 2022. Because she is in the local town often if she wants to see close up she can see. She, however, has opted to give Tim space and let him stay on track.

I know one man (hint, hint, nudge, nudge) understands the times his guitar own grates on his nerves, but he knows where we live and he has let his guitar become part of a McJam class. Ten years later I like seeing your pictures in texts. It's fun to see your accomplishments.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.

Last edited by Mary; 10-09-2022 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-09-2022, 02:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEJ View Post
Plus you can learn how to do something different or better if you pay attention, one of the best things about this forum and the internet.

Bruce,
Hi Bruce - or if he pays attention maybe we can teach how to do it wrong because we are still trying to figure out the better way. (Don't tell Neil I said that!)

David, ah, yes! You did photo bomb Marcia's picture. Consider it free publicity for the McKnight guitars you can talk about on another thread - adding a link here - and let all of us read those. Maybe it's time to order your next McKnight so you and Teri and Marcia can play together at the 2023 Mcjam.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

[email protected]
Old 10-09-2022, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Ah, love hearing about all the mischief, mayhem, and magic that happens at the McKnight’s! Great story and I’ll look forward to following along.
Best,
Jayne
Old 10-09-2022, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
We never really know the time frame from start to finish. It all depends on having the right parts and pieces for braces, peg heads, bridge pins, tuners, etc ... inlays, family situations, woods disobey, machines get attitudes, she volunteers in the depth of the local ER, he has duties at the place where I'm not sure if I am allowed to speak of due to rules. We occasionally have private shop tours, new build orders or local visitors delay ... blah, blah, blah.

Neil, if you move in it will take longer for Tim to build because you would pick up the tools and begin crafting for your own fun and experience tells me as the guilty one that you might leave the tools in a place convenient for you, but he wouldn't be able to find them. This is why Mary has her teeny section of the wood shop and Tim gets all the rest. It sure omitted the thousands of times back in the day when one of us would have to shut the entire shop down for peace and quiet so we could ask a question, "Do you see my ...name item here... any place in your area?" I tell ya what. Those pictures you see on this thread are in a camera that has disappeared in the past more often than not. We would stop and say, "I was in the wood room. Then I went to the band saw. Next we were at the bench. I had it ...wait, you had the camera last. You went in the house to fix a snack. What was the last picture you took. Look at the camera and see."

Awe, that sounds like an easy comment, but where is the camera?

So, to answer a question like that I can only guesstimate the time frame better after we have all the details of the customers desire if the customer makes no changes. In this case, My Angel (Teri) has a definite clue what she wants. Clean, simple, sound, angels. She came here to pick her wood. She tone tapped with Tim. She came to a McJam to hear y'all talk about your own experiences. Barring any unusual changes or life situations and the fact I do not have to trust airlines and delivery services, I trust that her guitar should be in her hands by Christmas 2022. Because she is in the local town often if she wants to see close up she can see. She, however, has opted to give Tim space and let him stay on track.

I know one man (hint, hint, nudge, nudge) understands the times his guitar own grates on his nerves, but he knows where we live and he has let his guitar become part of a McJam class. Ten years later I like seeing your pictures in texts. It's fun to see your accomplishments.
OK, Mary. Clearly you've seen pictures of my workshop, but I have my own tools in there ... somewhere! I am going on the record and saying that I intend on organizing things. I just have to throw a ton of stuff out in the process.

I guess I'm just lamenting that I'd really like to be able to dedicate time to just putting my head down and focusing on the work without distractions but other commitments constantly draw me away. Despite that, it's been kind of nice taking some downtime this past week and having the nose swab excuse.

FWIW I'm grateful that you allow us into your home and workshop every June. It's just so relaxing there I get a little sad that the weekend is over. I guess I'll just have to get through the winter like everybody else!
Old 10-13-2022, 05:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
FWIW I'm grateful that you allow us into your home and workshop every June. It's just so relaxing there I get a little sad that the weekend is over. I guess I'll just have to get through the winter like everybody else!
Hope your feeling better Neil and getting over the Covid funk. Its some nasty stuff.

We share your sentiments too that the McJam is a fun and relaxing experience for all of us. We too hate to see all of our old and new friends leave knowing that it will likely be another year before we meet again with yet another shade of gray and more wrinkles to show off ... or hide?

Enough of that now go make some sawdust buster! Consider this your marching orders!
Old 10-13-2022, 05:59 AM

Don't know how I missed this thread until now. (I do, actually... work got in the way)

Nice to see My Angel coming together! It's always special to see Tim and Mary build a guitar with future owner's personal touches like this one.

Teri: It was great meeting you at this year's McJam. Kathy and I are looking forward to seeing you at next year's event! (Maybe you'll let me take the new guitar for a spin?) We're looking forward to seeing the finished guitar.

Mary: Keep the pics coming. And, keep up your always clever/entertaining commentary. Say "Hi" to Tim for Kathy and me.
Old 10-13-2022, 12:38 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
another shade of gray and more wrinkles to show off ... or hide?
FYI: His hair is gray. My color is natural ....(hush, Tim)

Today Tim prepped the sides so the kerfed lining can be glued on. C'mon in and I will show you this process.

Sidewalk chalk is rubbed on the sides so Tim can have a clear visual of the places that might need more sanding to fit properly. Though he has sanded what he thought might be good enough he points to the spot that lacked sanding so he went back for more.

The guitar sides go into the bracing pattern where he adds inside clamps to keep the sides in place. The sanding disks are large circles that go in a clock wise manner to sand the sides at a slight angle.

It's time for the kerf lining placement. I participate in this process only to save Tim and frustration value. Clips get tangled and I am the good wife to hand him one at a time to make this process goes efficiently.

[email protected]

Last edited by Mary; 10-13-2022 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-13-2022, 12:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

For the record Kerfed lining is glued and spread on with one glue.

I'll take you back to the wood room so you can see how the back bracing is applied. The "Go-Bar" area holds those back braces in place until he returns to this area another day. For those who don't notice as you look at the next few pictures you will see that Tim uses a different glue on the back than he did on the kerfed lining. He will be glad to give you detail on the techniques of that process and the reasons he does what he does.

Parts and pieces are numbered so he can simply get through without putting one in the wrong place. Experience is our best teacher!

I know you might be wondering why I was sitting in my own little corner on my own little stool. I would drive Tim nuts if I stood by Tim's bench watching him so I was making get well gifts to give all my patients. I got a text asking what I am eating because there is always a snack in the shop so here ya go.

P S - Happy 92 birthday to a very special man, who along with his wonderful wife had let goofy school girls invade his space.

[email protected]

Last edited by Mary; 10-13-2022 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-13-2022, 04:01 PM

Default McJam with McAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger View Post
Don't know how I missed this thread until now. (I do, actually... work got in the way)

Nice to see My Angel coming together! It's always special to see Tim and Mary build a guitar with future owner's personal touches like this one.

Teri: It was great meeting you at this year's McJam. Kathy and I are looking forward to seeing you at next year's event! (Maybe you'll let me take the new guitar for a spin?) We're looking forward to seeing the finished guitar.

Mary: Keep the pics coming. And, keep up your always clever/entertaining commentary. Say "Hi" to Tim for Kathy and me.
Rodger: My Angel would love to Jam with a real guitarist…since her Mama is just learning!

‘22 McKnight, Deacon, Pau Rosa/1950 Vintage Redwood
‘18 McKnight, Skeeter, Honduran Mahogany/Adirondak Red Spruce
‘92 Washburn, D-1312N, Spruce/Mahogany, 12-string
‘20 KoAloha, Tenor, Silver Anniversary, Hawaiian Koa Uke
‘10 Ohana, CK-75CG Ltd. Ed. Uke, Flamed Maple/Spruce
‘06 Kala Soprano, Ziricote Uke

“Music is well said to be the speech of angels”
Thomas Carlyle
Old 10-14-2022, 01:28 PM
AGF Sponsor

The back had the night to rest so today Tim will go through a few steps to marry the sides and back.

The steps he did yesterday to the back are repeated again today. Side chalk is his best friend for this. The camera is not mine!

The first step is to trim the excess parts and put them in the "guitar-in-a-bag."

Grooves need cut in the right places. The back braces help him zero in on the places to cut and saves lots of remeasuring.

[email protected]
Old 10-14-2022, 01:38 PM
AGF Sponsor

Now comes the first true feeling that you are going to have a McKnight guitar around or before Christmas. Tim gets the glue bottle and traces the outskirt of the back so he can attach it to the sides.

And again the guitar is under the go bars area

This little girl and her mommy (Adrianne) stopped over to share her smile and put a plate of peanut butter fudge on the work bench! (She announced she is hoping to sell her guitar if anyone reading this thread is interested.) However for now Grandpa Tim calls this a good time to break for the day so glue can dry.

[email protected]
Old 10-18-2022, 09:15 AM

Looking good, Tim and Mary! My, but you work so fast!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop