The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-04-2022, 07:01 PM

Default Heavy gauge strings

I'm not afraid to try them, but can't decide if it's a bad idea. Larrivee said they "we don't recommend heavy gauge, but it's your D-09". My logic is that I like to play a full step down anyway so less tension would be less strain on the guitar. I sure would like to hear some thoughts on this idea of trying heavies like Stringjoy Naturals | Heavy Gauge (14-59) Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings on a Larrivee D-09, tuned a full step lower than standard tuning. Thanks.
Old 07-04-2022, 07:35 PM

Tuned down a full step, it shouldn’t be a problem.

whm
Old 07-04-2022, 08:40 PM

Newtone Strings UK make 'Heritage' low tension sets that take some of the worries out about trying thicker gauge strings.

They also make custom gauge sets.

Here's a link; https://newtonestrings.com/shop/heri...stic-6-string/

And welcome to the AGF.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 07-05-2022, 06:23 AM

I run 13-56 tuned down a whole step on my eastman322ce and it sounds great.
seagull mjm6
alvarez mfa66CE
recording king ro-310
Taylor 312ce IBANEZ AF95FM
Old 07-05-2022, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Without any real knowledge or evidence, I have always just assumed that John Lennon used heavy strings on many acoustic-centered songs, like I’m Only Sleeping, Cry Baby Cry, I’ll Be Back, and You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 07-05-2022, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

I think you just have to try it for yourself.

I loved the sound of 13s on my Martin dread. I did not love the feel so for me the outcome was I went back to 12s. Can't imagine I will bother trying anything heavier as a result.

But then again, maybe tuned down a step as you propose it would be a worthwhile experiment...
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 07-05-2022, 10:04 AM

If you leave a guitar tuned down a full step or more, it makes sense to use heavier gauged strings to me.

I have a baritone guitar to help me when I'm singing a song that needs to be lowered and still use the same chords.

My buddy likes the sound and the idea and put a set of heavy gauge strings on one of his Jumbo body guitars and tuned it down to C#.
The guitar sounds great and he can sing some songs that he had quit singing due it them being too high.

Go for it!
Old 07-05-2022, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapscallion View Post
I'm not afraid to try them, but can't decide if it's a bad idea. Larrivee said they "we don't recommend heavy gauge, but it's your D-09". My logic is that I like to play a full step down anyway so less tension would be less strain on the guitar. I sure would like to hear some thoughts on this idea of trying heavies like Stringjoy Naturals | Heavy Gauge (14-59) Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings on a Larrivee D-09, tuned a full step lower than standard tuning. Thanks.
Regardless of string thickness, If you tune a full step down, then the tension is a lot less. Possibly even less than Mediums when tuned down.

Another option is Newtone masterclass custom Roundcores. You can pick and choose each strings thickness. I play in standard tuning using a custom Medium gauge set on all my Larrivee's. I go up one gauge to heavy, on just two of the strings in a medium set. The low E and the High E.

But to top it off, Roundcores are around 3% less tension anyway. So when you take all things into consideration...the slightly less tension of Roundcores...and going up only on two strings...the difference is very little.

I have been doing this for several years now with no problems.
Old 07-05-2022, 07:06 PM

The best way to play heavy strings is while wearing a hair shirt after a few hours of self-flagellation.

But really, it won't hurt so much if you play those heavy strings while sitting naked on a block of ice.
Old 07-05-2022, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

You may need to modify the nut and maybe bridge holes for the larger gauge
Old 07-05-2022, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneh View Post
Maybe, but probably not. The only string that might need accommodating is the lowest one.

whm
Old 07-06-2022, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapscallion View Post
Once upon a time it was "the thing" to use heavy gauge strings on Martin Dreads in bluegrass bands.
The logic was to make them louder.
Never tried them myself but doubt that the theory is valid, but it did lead to a lot of Martins being sold when they needed a neck reset (a virtually unknown process in the UK back in the '70s).

FWIW, and as someone who plays dreads, 12 strings and smaller, down to size "0" I believe their is an "optimum" string gauge for each guitar, and almost all modern build guitars will function optimally with light or medium strings.

When I played a lot of slide on a bell brass bodied National, I fell for the notion that;
a) action should be higher than normal
b) strings should be heavy gauge.
Both were pointless btw, and I suffered from CTS and trigger fingers!)

I can't think of any guitar that would benefit from heavy gauge strings, apart from baritones (Long scale). Of course to use heavies, you'll need to file out the nut slots and possibly the bridge slots and the string spacing may well be problematic.

I'd politely suggest that if there is something problematic about the tone or feel of your guitar - it won't be the strings.

However there is a calculator that can give a guide about string tensions here : https://www.mcdonaldstrings.com/stringxxiii.html

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 07-06-2022 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-06-2022, 10:45 AM

Default Great info!

Great info! I can see I came to the right place. Thanks!
Old 07-06-2022, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneh View Post
Well, those who play heavier gauges do tend to have bigger nuts!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
heavy gauge, larrivee., strings