The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-07-2023, 09:30 AM

Default Help with Emerald

I am a huge Rainsong fan and am thinking of buying an Emerald x20 or x30. All sound files on the net are with a mic placed in front of it. I play 90 percent plugged in and this will be stage guitar. (solo performer) For those of you lucky enough to own both a x20 and x30, is there a big difference in the plugged in sound of them. My current stage guitar is a Rainsong hybrid dreadnaught. The n2 neck fits me perfectly and the n1 was too thin for me. I am hoping the Emerald necks are not too thin for me also. I know I could special order but would rather not. Plugged in tone is my first concern. Thanks for any input.
Old 02-07-2023, 09:50 AM

What do you not like about the Rainsong? What kind of pickup do you have in it? That's where I'd start, if that one fits you perfectly...not meaning to discourage a sexy new purchase of course!
Old 02-07-2023, 01:46 PM

I love my Rainsong. I just sold two of Martins and have the money to pick up another guitar and Emeralds really intrigue me. Their wood topped models are beautiful to look at. If I don't buy an Emerald i will pick up a Rainsong 12 fret. Just wanting to make sure the plugged in sound of the Emerald will be as good as my Rainsong.
Old 02-07-2023, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyroger55 View Post
I love my Rainsong. I just sold two of Martins and have the money to pick up another guitar and Emeralds really intrigue me. Their wood topped models are beautiful to look at. If I don't buy an Emerald i will pick up a Rainsong 12 fret. Just wanting to make sure the plugged in sound of the Emerald will be as good as my Rainsong.
Have you checked the CF Sharing Thread?
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=646425

You might find someone close to you that would let you check theirs out.
Old 02-07-2023, 03:12 PM

High Jolly,

You mentioned first concern is plugged-in tone. You are no doubt aware that the most important variable with plugged-in tone is actually the pickup.

Across their various models, Emerald offers a variety of pickup choices stock from the factory, including two different undersaddle pickups, the K&K soundboard transducer, a slim line mini-mag humbucker, and midi-based digital pickups.

If none of those float your boat, you can order an X20 or X30 with no pickup installed, and install the pickup of your choice. (Or, have your favorite guitar tech install it for you). The one type of pickup that doesn’t work at all with the Emeralds is the soundhole pickup (due to the offset soundhole).

I’ve got an X20. I will say it’s a VERY responsive guitar, which makes some pickup choices a little more challenging in terms of tone profile at higher volume. I’m a tweaker and have cycled through a number of pickup choices. At this point, (to my ears) I think a Baggs Anthem or Anthem SL is the best sounding choice. If you are happy with a simple undersaddle like a Baggs Element, it will work just fine (but it sounds like any other UST). I also tried an SBT (a Schatten) and the Baggs Lyric. Both of those seemed to pick up from the room, and over-amplify, strange resonances in the lower mids / upper bass, which just sounded weird. The Anthem is a nice compromise between those pickup types. The Anthem uses the UST transducer below 250 Hz, so it smoothed all of those stranger lower-mid resonances out, and yet it still benefits from the mic above 250 Hz. Emerald used to offer the Anthem SL as a factory option — they may still do it if you ask. If not, it’s a straightforward aftermarket install.

I don’t have an X30 so can’t speak from personal experience. But it’s a bigger and bassier guitar and that often means more challenges for amplifying.

Neck profiles seem to be a very personal thing, so you might try to find somebody locally with an X20 or X30 that is willing to let you take a few strums. Perhaps post your city to see who responds.

Last edited by BlueStarfish; 02-07-2023 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-07-2023, 03:26 PM

Thanks Kevin H and Bluestarfish. Was not aware of the sharing forum. Any yes I have been a little afraid of the x30 being hard to ampify due to its size. Hopefully someone with both will chime in. Thanks again.
Old 02-07-2023, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Thanks Kevin H and Bluestarfish. Was not aware of the sharing forum. Any yes I have been a little afraid of the x30 being hard to ampify due to its size. Hopefully someone with both will chime in. Thanks again.

My X30 and my RainSong jumbo are both great. My favorite to play however is the RainSong. I just cannot seem to blend great with the X30. Sound wise plugged in, the RainSong's pickup was not as good. Fishman Prefix +T. It has what I consider a mildly "cheap" quacky sound. Not bad though.
The X30 when it had then LR Baggs Anthem, I was not overly happy with. No EQ?! Really? The X30 is So STRONG on the bass, I needed to be able to turn the bass down when plugged in. I installed a StagePro Anthem, and that solved those issues. I use a probably 85/15 mix microphone/piezzo. I just don't use the X30 as much when I'm playing. The RainSong is my first choice, then the Taylor.

I want to install a mic/piezzo pickup in the RainSong, as I'm thinking that will just be absolutely gorgeous. But, I have not found a setup that will fit properly in the waist, where the current preamp is installed.
Old 02-07-2023, 07:31 PM

Quote:
I am a huge Rainsong fan and am thinking of buying an Emerald x20 or x30. All sound files on the net are with a mic placed in front of it. I play 90 percent plugged in and this will be stage guitar. (solo performer) For those of you lucky enough to own both a x20 and x30, is there a big difference in the plugged in sound of them. My current stage guitar is a Rainsong hybrid dreadnaught. The n2 neck fits me perfectly and the n1 was too thin for me. I am hoping the Emerald necks are not too thin for me also. I know I could special order but would rather not. Plugged in tone is my first concern. Thanks for any input.
I have a Rainsong with N1 neck and several 12 fret Rainsongs with NS necks (same profile as the N2 neck except 12 fret). I am comfortable with both of these neck designs. I also have an Emerald X20. The Emerald neck feels similar in thickness to the Rainsong N1 and is thinner than a Rainsong NS/N2 neck.
Old 02-08-2023, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markcarl View Post
I have a Rainsong with N1 neck and several 12 fret Rainsongs with NS necks (same profile as the N2 neck except 12 fret). I am comfortable with both of these neck designs. I also have an Emerald X20. The Emerald neck feels similar in thickness to the Rainsong N1 and is thinner than a Rainsong NS/N2 neck.

Thanks Markcarl - I played with the N1 neck for many years. I am approaching 70 years old and switched to the N2 many years ago. I still play 3 and 4 hour shows and cannot see myself doing that if I still had the N1. The thinner necks on the Emerald might be a deal breaker. Although a couple people told me the
Emerald necks are not quite as thin at the N1. They sure are pretty though.
Old 02-08-2023, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
My X30 and my RainSong jumbo are both great. My favorite to play however is the RainSong. I just cannot seem to blend great with the X30. Sound wise plugged in, the RainSong's pickup was not as good. Fishman Prefix +T. It has what I consider a mildly "cheap" quacky sound. Not bad though.
The X30 when it had then LR Baggs Anthem, I was not overly happy with. No EQ?! Really? The X30 is So STRONG on the bass, I needed to be able to turn the bass down when plugged in. I installed a StagePro Anthem, and that solved those issues. I use a probably 85/15 mix microphone/piezzo. I just don't use the X30 as much when I'm playing. The RainSong is my first choice, then the Taylor.

I want to install a mic/piezzo pickup in the RainSong, as I'm thinking that will just be absolutely gorgeous. But, I have not found a setup that will fit properly in the waist, where the current preamp is installed.

Thanks! After doing alot of reading I think I am leaning on the X20 although I have some concerns with the skinnier necks of the Emeralds. I cannot afford to do a custom neck on it. Thanks again for your reply.
Old 02-08-2023, 07:36 AM

I finally sold my X20 because I couldn't get used to the neck profile. Just didn't like it. Really like the necks on my classic WS1000 and new Rainsong OM. The OM sounds great plugged in and is very comfortable to play.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
emerald, rainsong