The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-03-2023, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Default Tropical Madison Wisconsin guitar delivery / Enya

The downside: It is six degrees below zero in tropical Madison Wisconsin, and a guitar delivery was left at my door.

The upside: It is a carbon fiber X4 Pro. [emoji6]

Something to do on a cold day.
20230203_102518.jpg

Last edited by Brent Nelson; 02-03-2023 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-03-2023, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

That sounds like fun. Good that it's CF.
Old 02-03-2023, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Out of the box. Reasonable. Neck angle is good and over set if anything.

I've had a couple carbon guitars over the years, both CA Guitars and I felt both were very good. And I've got some top notch wood guitars for comparison. But first impressions of packing and setup and all the goodies they send along are pretty solid.20230203_104239.jpg
Old 02-03-2023, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on your new guitar. Mine was delivered last month and I'm enjoying every moment playing it. I'll be trying a new set of Retro strings here in the next few days on mine. Hope yours is set up well out of the box, if not very easy to set up to your liking. Add a few pictures if you can once ya get it out of the box.....yep

Well ya added one pic while I was typing this up LOL
Old 02-03-2023, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

I would agree that there might be better matches than the strings it ships with (Elixers?). It sounds nice, but pretty mid-rangey. It is darker than I expected. Plugged in through my Headway pre then into an EAE A4-8, the electronics sound fantastic. Very good. Unamplified, the built-in effects are fun but (to me) a bit weird. I won't use them much I suspect.

Setup was decent out of the box. I made a slight truss adjustment, and it plays as well as any of my instruments. Appears to be well made. All the extras are a nice touch (leather strap, etc), and the case is decent enough (I would prefer wood, but it's fine.) Plays well. Sounds good. What's not to like? Initial impressions are very good.20230203_140520.jpg20230203_140529.jpg20230203_140535.jpg20230203_110640.jpg
Old 02-03-2023, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Brent, I'm glad you're diggin' on your Enya X4 Pro AcousticPlus. I'll have something for you about your PM tomorrow. Until Then
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 02-03-2023, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on the purchase. There was one other ngd where the poster ran into problems with the electronics.

What is it that is sounding off on the effects? Just curious whether the tone is something you don't care for or whether you might have defective effects.

I quite enjoy mine set with the volume backed off, moderate hall reverb and a fast time echo.

I feel it essentially makes it sound like a fuller guitar.
Old 02-03-2023, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

I don't feel anything is off or defective. It's just an old dog shunning a new trick. The effects are there unplugged and fine. I'm just not sure they are something I will use. As I love how it sounds without them.

Great value in carbon fiber guitar for sure. I suspect this will be my main gigger.
Old 02-03-2023, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

I have played some with the onboard effects, but for the most part I leave them off. This guitar sounds so good acoustically, for me the effects are unnecessary. Amplified, I can get any effects I need from my amp or mixer. Overall, I am very impressed with my X4.
Old 02-03-2023, 11:16 PM

I’ve been writing this guitar off but it does sound really, really good in videos.

I’d love to play one. It reminds me of another carbon guitar I played and loved but was 4X the cost
Old 02-04-2023, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Default Enya X4 Pro AcousticPlus UST/Mic Demo

This Enya X4 Pro AcousticPlus UST/Mic Demo is rendered direct-to-computer with the Enya X4 Pro AcousticPlus Tone and Volume Controls at 12 o'clock (midway) and with no AcousticPlus PREAMP effects engaged.

Section 1 UST Only - The first section of this demo is with the Pickup/Mic Control fully counterclockwise to UST. At 29 seconds I'm talking into the Enya's soundhole to hear what the UST can pick up from my voice.

Section 2 Mic Engaged - At 46 seconds the Mic is demoed with the Pickup/Mic Control fully clockwise. At 1:19 in the demo I'm talking into the soundhole to hear what the Mic can pick up of my voice.

My takeaway from this demo is that when the Mic is engaged the system sounds noticeably louder than with only the UST engaged. The Mic adds some air and a more natural acoustic tone to the amplified signal.

I like to use the AcousticPlus system with the Pickup/Mic control set midway for a mix of both transducers. Is the mixing within the AcousticPlus preamp similar to Yamaha's Atmosfeel preamp in that fully engaging the Mic only puts 50% Mic content into the mixed signal as a means, I assume, of reducing potential feedback issues?

My Conclusion: Enya's AcousticPlus Pickup/Mic/Preamp system is a professional-grade setup and the Enya X4 Pro AcousticPlus Guitar can be used professionally for players who aren't afraid to show up without a big-name branded ax.

The Following Recording Was Rendered With No Alterations To The Recorded Track, Not Even Normalization, So You Can Hear The Difference In Signal Levels:
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 02-04-2023 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-05-2023, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for this demo. I am still figuring the system out. I did find this documentation.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/A1tZHAHadBL.pdf

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber