The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-09-2023, 03:20 PM

Default Received my Replacement Donner Rising G Pro

This once doesn’t have the rattling resonance of the first, but the action is still very high at 3.5mm on the low e. I feel sorry for a beginner getting one set up like this. I’m waiting to hear from Donner about what they suggest. If nothing, I’m returning it. The Enya for $599 is way nicer AND has electronics.IMG_3628.jpg

Last edited by DavidE; 01-09-2023 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-09-2023, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
This once doesn’t have the rattling resonance of the first, but the action is still very high at 3.5mm on the low e. I feel sorry for a beginner getting one set up like this. I’m waiting to hear from Donner about what they suggest. If nothing, I’m returning it. The Enya for $599 is way nicer AND has electronics.
Is is something that can be fixed by lowering the saddle height? You said the saddle was very tall--lots of lower end guitars ship with a taller-than-necessary saddle. I guess they figure it's easier to lower it than ship with "low" action that somebody wants to raise. That was true of an Ibanez AC340 I bought a couple years ago--not 3.5mm high, but definitely higher than it needed to be for good action. A little sandpaper took care of things.
Old 01-09-2023, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Is is something that can be fixed by lowering the saddle height? You said the saddle was very tall--lots of lower end guitars ship with a taller-than-necessary saddle. I guess they figure it's easier to lower it than ship with "low" action that somebody wants to raise. That was true of an Ibanez AC340 I bought a couple years ago--not 3.5mm high, but definitely higher than it needed to be for good action. A little sandpaper took care of things.

Maybe. But it would take a LOT of sanding and I’m concerned it may make it nonreturnable. I’ll sit down and compare it to my other carbon fibers and see if it’s worth messing with. But man, they should not go out like this. After I posted, I checked the neck relief. It needs tightening big time.
Old 01-10-2023, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Maybe. But it would take a LOT of sanding and I’m concerned it may make it nonreturnable. I’ll sit down and compare it to my other carbon fibers and see if it’s worth messing with. But man, they should not go out like this. After I posted, I checked the neck relief. It needs tightening big time.
If they can't be bothered with a decent set-up before a guitar goes out, what else might be off with the build?
Old 01-13-2023, 12:22 AM

I got it playing really well and it was pretty easy. I tightened the hell out of the truss rod and there's still some relief. Don't think I can get it flat. But the main thing is that they put THREE shims under the saddle. THREE! One very thin and two fairly thick. The action was way too low with all three out, so I tried it with 1 shim and it was still really low. Then I tried a couple of combinations of two and I think it's good to go. I've been stupidly busy, so I haven't played it for a few days. I'll check it out again tomorrow.

It doesn't sound nearly as good as my Enya X4 Pro or my Sable, but I want to compare it to my Journey OF660 and report.
Old 01-13-2023, 02:09 AM

Nice. Hopefully this one is a keeper.

I wonder if these guitars always leave the factory with shims. That would explain a lot. But then they had better put that in a manual in order to avoid returns due to extremely high action.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 01-13-2023, 09:44 PM

Glad to hear a favorable report on this one! Interesting about the shims. I would think they wouldn't want the reputation of having the action of railroad tracks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber