The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-06-2021, 04:18 PM

Default After TI Plectrums

I have fallen in love with TI Plectrum strings. I love the mellow tone especially with a casein pick.

So, I'm going to be greedy and ask, had anyone out there loved these strings and then found another string they also really like?

If so, I would love to try them.
Old 06-06-2021, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stljtg View Post
I have fallen in love with TI Plectrum strings. I love the mellow tone especially with a casein pick.

So, I'm going to be greedy and ask, had anyone out there loved these strings and then found another string they also really like?

If so, I would love to try them.
Agree. I have been using the 111's (11-50) on my Huss and Dalton 000 and love them.
Out of curiosity, and hoping for a bit more umph, I mounted a set of 112's (12-59) on it last night, and had concerns about it being too much string, prompting a post about this earlier today. I will give H&D a call tomorrow. But I would have no hesitation going back to the 111's. Never found anything I like more, at least on that guitar.
Enjoy.
David
Old 06-06-2021, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

I usually have a set of TI strings (either Plectrum or Spectrum) on one or two of my guitars. They are wonderful strings. I particularly like the slightly slower transient as and subsequent bloom from the wound strings when they are first stroked as well as their sustain (they have a lengthy and linear decay envelope). The finishing of the windings are also a nice touch as it reduces squeaks a bit.
Old 06-06-2021, 04:58 PM

Next to TI Plectrums I thought these La Bella Silk & Steels were excellent.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 06-06-2021, 05:17 PM

Thanks for the kind replies everyone.
Old 06-07-2021, 01:45 AM
Charter Member

I used TI Plectrums for a few years. I like their tone and low tension and I don’t like their price! I’ve changed to other low tension strings that, to me, are just as enjoyable and a lot cheaper. Via experimentation I’ve also found that some strings suit some guitars and not others. All guitars are 25.6 inch neck and currently I’m using:

• Newtone Heritage – blissful strings! Great tone, very balanced feel and very easy to play. Buy them online, direct from Newtone in the UK. Easy to do and postage is ridiculously cheap. Newtone’s other strings are great too.

• GHS Thin Core – absolutely outstanding on one guitar; I’d give them a score of 11 out of 10 on this guitar! But surprisingly unimpressive on another guitar I tried them on.

• Earthwood Silk and Steel – great alternative to 80/20 for some brightness while still giving a full tone. I have been told they are lower tension than normal strings but have not been able to verify this. They don’t feel as low tension as the Heritage .
Old 06-07-2021, 05:27 AM

I only use TI and labella strings on my guitars.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

I use TI's on my carbon fiber. Mellows it out and brings out wonderfully clear tones. Found they subdued my wood guitars too much. I mostly use GHS PB 11s on them.
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke
Old 06-08-2021, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

I love the TI's, and the other one I love are the SCGC Low Tensions, I find the SCGC's last a bit longer and have pretty much switched over to them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
strings