The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-09-2020, 01:52 PM

Default Source for bulk high E and B strings, or custom 6 string sets?

I like to play light and sometimes extra light strings on my acoustic, but the high strings on extra light sets don't feel good on my fingers and tend to break anyway. The non-wound E and B strings also don't seem to matter as much as far as tone (last time my extra light high E string broke when changing strings I just put the old one back on from the previous medium-light set and it still sounded just fine to me)

Does anyone have any recommendations for brands/sources for inexpensive bulk sets of individual strings? I'd like to just order a 10 pack of each E and B strings to always have on hand.

Ultimately I'd be interested in ordering bulk strings for all 6 strings and play around with customizing the gauge of each individual string, but I've yet to find something affordable that has good quality. I like a warm, less bright sound, and if I'm not fingerpicking (without fingernails) I play with a rubber wedgie pick. I like nickel wound strings, love the D'addario flat tops for their lack of squeak, and have never tried the Elixir Polywebs or Martin Retro's but am about to try those, hoping for that warm sound. But all these strings come in 6 packs of set gauges. Can I get any recommendations? Thank you kindly.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:01 PM

I used to buy bulk plain and PB wound strings in bulk from Musician's Friend to re-string my octave mandolins inexpensively. I bought the dozen sleeves of .011, .022, .34w and .044w and it ended up costing me something less than $3 to change 8 strings.

I believe MF has discontinued selling the wound PBs but they still sell the smaller steel strings in bulk. (It will set you back $2.50 a dozen with free shipping).

I found the plain steel and PB wound to be very similar to the "brand name" strings and could tell no difference in sound, performance, or durability.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:16 PM

The go-to would be forum sponsor Strings by Mail, or perhaps Just Strings. I'm pretty sure that either can sell bulk singles.... I also have ordered some singles in quantity from Elderly Instruments, but that was a long time ago.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:19 PM

I am trying Mapes strings and they seem pretty good. You can order custom sets there.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:30 PM

Curt Mangan makes excellent strings and they both individual strings of every gauge as well as custom sets.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
guitar strings, strings