The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-30-2020, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedartop52 View Post
Your rendition is perfection, as always. Your personal story related to the song was equally touching. Thanks for sharing both, Dan
Thank you Dan!

I really appreciate knowing that you thought this came out well, and I particularly appreciate your taking time to comment!

I hope you are doing well!

- Glenn
Old 05-30-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Thanks so much for your feedback! And what an interesting story about hearing Richard Shindell so long ago! That is so cool! I would have really enjoyed hearing him play live, myself. How wonderful that you had that experience and still have that memory to share.
Glenn, Yes, the memory of that night remains strong even after all the years. I never thought to keep a program or concert poster from that night, not knowing of course that the first date would eventually lead to a lifetime of dates, but years later when the club was being torn down to make way for a freeway extension, we both went down to the site after midnight, stood on top of my car, and cut off the large canvas sign with a utility knife. I would later have it framed and gave it to my wife as an anniversary present and it still hangs in our downstairs game room.

Last edited by spock; 05-30-2020 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock View Post
Glen, Yes, the memory of that night remains strong even after all the years. I never thought to keep a program or concert poster from that night, not knowing of course that the first date would eventually lead to a lifetime of dates, but years later when the club was being torn down to make way for a freeway extension, we both went down to the site after midnight, stood on top of my car, and cut off the large canvas sign with a utility knife. I would later have it framed and gave it to my wife as an anniversary present and it still hangs in our downstairs game room.

Hi Spock!

Wow! What a terrific memento to have displayed in your game room!

Thank you for the additional comments!

- Glenn
Old 05-30-2020, 01:02 PM

Wow, that is a great song Glenn, and thanks for introducing it to me. I've never heard anything by this artist before, so of course I had to listen to the orginal. I really think your interpretation of this song did it justice. And glad to hear you got to pay your penance.
Old 05-30-2020, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Wow, that is a great song Glenn, and thanks for introducing it to me. I've never heard anything by this artist before, so of course I had to listen to the orginal. I really think your interpretation of this song did it justice. And glad to hear you got to pay your penance.
Hi Daniel!

How nice to hear from you and how generous of you to take the time to comment!

I'm glad you like how this came out! And how cool that you researched the original recording so you had a sense of how I came up with my version.

I hope all is well for you. Things have to be slow for you during this crazy pandemic.

- Glenn
Old 05-30-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Daniel!

How nice to hear from you and how generous of you to take the time to comment!

I'm glad you like how this came out! And how cool that you researched the original recording so you had a sense of how I came up with my version.

I hope all is well for you. Things have to be slow for you during this crazy pandemic.

- Glenn
Very slow Glenn, I lost most all of my income for the last few months, but fortunately, I plan for things like this to happen, so I'm not as in as bad shape as many musicians that live day to day. I did a wedding last week, and tomorrow I have a local gig. Starting in June, I pick back up a regular gig and lets see if others follow suit.

As for your song, as I said great job, and I will be sure to listen to more songs by the original artist!

You know I didn't pick up a guitar for about 6 weeks and it's the first break I've had in 40 years as I've been playing 5 to 6 gigs a week most of my adult life. I just lost my creativity and drive with all the pandemonium and division surrounding us lately. But last week I finally wrote a song (you know one of my bluesers)...

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=581514
Old 05-30-2020, 03:13 PM

What a lovely tune - I haven’t heard it before. Beautifully sung and played Glenn, and that guitar is sweet sounding. You can tell this means something to you..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 05-30-2020, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Very slow Glenn, I lost most all of my income for the last few months, but fortunately, I plan for things like this to happen, so I'm not as in as bad shape as many musicians that live day to day. I did a wedding last week, and tomorrow I have a local gig. Starting in June, I pick back up a regular gig and lets see if others follow suit.

As for your song, as I said great job, and I will be sure to listen to more songs by the original artist!

You know I didn't pick up a guitar for about 6 weeks and it's the first break I've had in 40 years as I've been playing 5 to 6 gigs a week most of my adult life. I just lost my creativity and drive with all the pandemonium and division surrounding us lately. But last week I finally wrote a song (you know one of my bluesers)...

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=581514
Hi Daniel,

I missed that song of yours previously! I listened to it now, though!

Wow, well done, Daniel!

I am so sorry about how this pandemic has impacted you, but I am glad you have prepared for this kind of disaster as much as possible.

I really do hope things get better for you soon! Hang in there Daniel!

- Glenn
Old 05-30-2020, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
What a lovely tune - I haven’t heard it before. Beautifully sung and played Glenn, and that guitar is sweet sounding. You can tell this means something to you..
Hi Wrighty,

Thanks so much for listening! I very much appreciate your comments!

Yes, I have really been drawn to this song since the first time I heard it. However, I have not recorded it previously -- or even played it -- because my wife just didn't want to hear this song at all.

But recently she mentioned that this would be a good song to do. So for whatever reason, she decided it was a good song and she could handle listening to it again. This was over the last week, so that's when I decided to relearn the song and start practicing it so I could record this live, as I like to do.

The Sheppard is a very sweet sounding guitar! I was having some trouble up there on the 5th fret with some mild fret buzz on the high E string and the trussrod is inside the sound hole so I did not want to mess around with relaxing the neck relief in the middle of trying to get this recorded. So at first I recorded this with my Olson SJ. But it just didn't have that sweetness up in the trebles that I wanted.

So, I did the song completely over with the Sheppard. I experimented with a yoke-type capo that could be tightened so that it pulled the strings a little tighter over the fret wire at the 5th fret and that seemed to fix the fret buzz issue.

Thanks for your thoughts Wrighty! I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn
Old 05-31-2020, 01:07 PM

Glenn:

Great job! I enjoyed your rendition, and smiled to see the Ave Maria come out for this one. Lovely playing, and effective vocals (was that a touch of echo or reverb to enhance?). I trust that your penance was successful - cool that you found a way through music to revisit and come to peace with a past heartache.

Best wishes for your 50th Wedding Anniversary!!!!
Old 05-31-2020, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
Glenn:

Great job! I enjoyed your rendition, and smiled to see the Ave Maria come out for this one. Lovely playing, and effective vocals (was that a touch of echo or reverb to enhance?). I trust that your penance was successful - cool that you found a way through music to revisit and come to peace with a past heartache.

Best wishes for your 50th Wedding Anniversary!!!!
Thank you Carmel Cedar!

Thank you for the kind words! There was a little bit of reverb on my voice, yes. And yes, I think for the most part my penance was successful!

And thank you for the kind wishes on our coming 50th Anniversary which actually happens on June 6, this coming Saturday.

I hope all is well for you CC! Thanks so much for your generous comments!

- Glenn
Old 05-31-2020, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

Hi Glenn,

That was a great performance! I was invited to a Richard Shindell concert not knowing a thing about his music and came away very very impressed. He’s a great talent. But I too immediately thought of the Dan Fogelberg song of the same name, and I said to myself yes, Glenn could sing that

I think a lot of Dan’s music, especially his earlier stuff, would be right in your wheelhouse.

Congratulations to you and your wife on your upcoming anniversary
Old 05-31-2020, 11:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Hi Glenn,

That was a great performance! I was invited to a Richard Shindell concert not knowing a thing about his music and came away very very impressed. He’s a great talent. But I too immediately thought of the Dan Fogelberg song of the same name, and I said to myself yes, Glenn could sing that

I think a lot of Dan’s music, especially his earlier stuff, would be right in your wheelhouse.

Congratulations to you and your wife on your upcoming anniversary
Thank you Bob!

I appreciate your thoughts and very interesting comments! Much appreciated! I will study Dan Fogelberg's "Wysteria" and see if it fits me. I like what I have heard of it!

Thanks too for your good wishes on our anniversary!

I hope all is well for you Bob!

- Glenn
Old 06-01-2020, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Wrighty,

Thanks so much for listening! I very much appreciate your comments!

Yes, I have really been drawn to this song since the first time I heard it. However, I have not recorded it previously -- or even played it -- because my wife just didn't want to hear this song at all.

But recently she mentioned that this would be a good song to do. So for whatever reason, she decided it was a good song and she could handle listening to it again. This was over the last week, so that's when I decided to relearn the song and start practicing it so I could record this live, as I like to do.

The Sheppard is a very sweet sounding guitar! I was having some trouble up there on the 5th fret with some mild fret buzz on the high E string and the trussrod is inside the sound hole so I did not want to mess around with relaxing the neck relief in the middle of trying to get this recorded. So at first I recorded this with my Olson SJ. But it just didn't have that sweetness up in the trebles that I wanted.

So, I did the song completely over with the Sheppard. I experimented with a yoke-type capo that could be tightened so that it pulled the strings a little tighter over the fret wire at the 5th fret and that seemed to fix the fret buzz issue.

Thanks for your thoughts Wrighty! I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn

Hi Glenn

I had to circle back to let you know that I have now spent some time listening to Richard’s original song in a few different versions and it has really blown me away so thank you so much for introducing me to it.

It is just so powerful and as we age I guess those memories (however painful at the time) come to represent so much our our youth and years gone by..

Anyway, have a great week..

Peter.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 06-01-2020, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
Hi Glenn

I had to circle back to let you know that I have now spent some time listening to Richard’s original song in a few different versions and it has really blown me away so thank you so much for introducing me to it.

It is just so powerful and as we age I guess those memories (however painful at the time) come to represent so much our our youth and years gone by..

Anyway, have a great week..

Peter.
Thanks for your additional thoughts Peter!

I'm glad you got introduced to Richard Shindell just a little. That's wonderful!

Be well!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell