The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-29-2020, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock View Post
Really beautiful song and cover - thank you for posting. The first first date I ever had with my wife many moons ago was at a small local club that hosted folk and bluegrass acts and a relatively unknown Richard Shindell was the performer on that night. We both enjoyed it thoroughly and been fans ever since, both of the music and the memory.
Hi Spock!

Thanks so much for your feedback! And what an interesting story about hearing Richard Shindell so long ago! That is so cool! I would have really enjoyed hearing him play live, myself. How wonderful that you had that experience and still have that memory to share.

I hope all goes well for you in your retirement coming up!

- Glenn
Old 05-29-2020, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticland View Post
Comgtatulations.
It's a sweet song that you you sang and played with a delightful feeling and velvet hearing.
There is much unknown music in the world we all have always to discover.
Keep it on.
Thank you Acousticland!

How wonderful to hear from you, all the way from Italy! (Of course, I realize, you are hearing from me all the way from the northwest corner of the USA! ) I'm so pleased that you enjoyed listening to this video!

I am so glad you are open to new music! So many people are not! This is very cool!

I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn
Old 05-29-2020, 02:52 PM

Great playing and singing Glenn. I can't say I know this one but enjoyed being introduced to it. My wife and I just passed our 30 year mark last week. Congratulations to you and yours. Joe

bowerman custom OM 28 style
breedlove oregon OM SMYe
breedlove 000-M deluxe revival
breedlove mc revival OM/AR deluxe (2)
yamaha ls 11 spruce hog mit
yamaha fg 152 spruce hog mij
yamaha fg 110 spruce agathis (tan) mit
yamaha fg 150 spruce (red) (sold)
yamaha fg 75 spruce (red) (sold)
Old 05-29-2020, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by started with 1 View Post
Great playing and singing Glenn. I can't say I know this one but enjoyed being introduced to it. My wife and I just passed our 30 year mark last week. Congratulations to you and yours. Joe
Thank you Joe!

I appreciate your comments! And how wonderful to know that you and your wife have just passed the 30-year mark! Doesn't it seem that time just flies by??!!

I hope all is well for you Joe.

- Glenn
Old 05-29-2020, 03:44 PM

Great song
Excellent rendition by you. Wow
I’m sorry Willow, you gave me nothing to tease you about today...
frankie
Old 05-29-2020, 04:04 PM

This was just beautiful, Glenn! The song, the vocals.....and the picking was fabulous! It just fit for the song, and so clean and wonderfully executed.
I'm sure the memories must flood for each of you as you approach this milestone anniversary. Best to you both!
As an aside, I have daily battle with wysteria! LOL! Our neighbors to our side and just a few feet away (tight spaces!) have a pergola and it's festooned with wysteria.....parts of which are digging into the shingles of our garage each and every day. (sigh). We both work to control and and they are such good neighbors, but I can understand how cutting them down might be #1 on anybody's list with how invasive they can be.....beautiful, but highly invasive.
So, just wanted to support the other side of this equation with my own personal experience!
Again, wonderful job with this song!
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 05-29-2020, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Great song
Excellent rendition by you. Wow
I’m sorry Willow, you gave me nothing to tease you about today...
frankie
Thank you Frank!

I love hearing from you! I'm glad you felt this came out okay! And, you can always feel free to tease me!

Thank you for listening and for taking the time to comment! It's always appreciated!

- Glenn
Old 05-29-2020, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
This was just beautiful, Glenn! The song, the vocals.....and the picking was fabulous! It just fit for the song, and so clean and wonderfully executed.
I'm sure the memories must flood for each of you as you approach this milestone anniversary. Best to you both!
As an aside, I have daily battle with wysteria! LOL! Our neighbors to our side and just a few feet away (tight spaces!) have a pergola and it's festooned with wysteria.....parts of which are digging into the shingles of our garage each and every day. (sigh). We both work to control and and they are such good neighbors, but I can understand how cutting them down might be #1 on anybody's list with how invasive they can be.....beautiful, but highly invasive.
So, just wanted to support the other side of this equation with my own personal experience!
Again, wonderful job with this song!
Fred
Hi Fred!

Thank you for your thoughts and comments! I'm very gratified to read that you feel this song came out okay. Thank you for your kind words!

Your comments about Wysteria echo just how I felt about 20 years ago when I finally approached my wife to cut the stuff down as it was undermining our cedar shake roof. That's so interesting that you have had a similar experience. The flower from the Wysteria is beautiful, but as you say, the vine is so very destructive.

I have thought a lot about Richard Shindell's song and wondered if Wysteria in the song is a symbol as well as a plant. I have wondered if he was using Wysteria as a metaphor for the struggles we go through during certain times of life, especially the intense times where the load on us is greatest, and yet when we look back at that time of life, we miss it so much.

I really enjoyed my children and their personalities and I put a lot of time into making sure I was part of their lives. I really enjoyed my wife, and have throughout our 50 years together. I really enjoyed my job, most of it, anyway, and I know I accomplished a lot. I really made sure I savored those times, as difficult as they might have been, and still, I can't help looking back and missing those times.

Of course, I'm enjoying these times, too. I don't enjoy the aches and pains of being old, but I am working awfully hard not to let them slow me down.

Thanks for your thoughts, too, about our upcoming 50th anniversary. I know that not every couple gets to this point, either because of the strains of modern life or because sometimes people don't live that long. So my wife and I are very grateful.

We both think it's very likely that we had Covid-19 through February and March. We weren't sure what was going on at the time but had our suspicions. But the more we learn about this virus, the more we are sure that we really did have to fight off this thing. And as my wife has been saying for the last week, "Hey, we are still alive!"

Take care Fred! Thanks for your wonderful thoughts and comments!

- Glenn
Old 05-29-2020, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Great performance Glenn, thanks for sharing!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 05-29-2020, 08:23 PM

Thank you, Glenn! No doubt that this was surely a metaphor beautifully used to bring us back to earlier times and places. I feel certain of this and think your thoughts on this are right on the mark.
I too find myself looking back on my career/family and current life. Very natural to do this when you feel that you've had an affect on people, places and things in your sphere of life. I love telling my kids (two grown daughters) stories about their early life and accomplishments to make sure they are known, preserved and appreciated. And I've also developed what I call "fun family stories" in which from time to time I'll drop something in about our own history which I share with my kids and grand kids with the hope that it might "stick".
All this is to appreciate what came before and what still is. That this matters....that we're not irrelevant, that there were times we prevailed over deep challenges... overcame them, and continued life in the best way forward, the best way possible as we remained fully rooted like that Wysteria! And, as your wife says....."we're still alive"....indeed! And it's wonderful that you both came through this difficult illness in ok shape!
Just thought I'd add a thought or two!
Best,
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 05-29-2020, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Great performance Glenn, thanks for sharing!
Thank you Bob!

I'm so glad you are watching! Thanks for your thoughts and comments!

I hope you are doing well, Bob!

- Glenn
Old 05-29-2020, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Thank you, Glenn! No doubt that this was surely a metaphor beautifully used to bring us back to earlier times and places. I feel certain of this and think your thoughts on this are right on the mark.
I too find myself looking back on my career/family and current life. Very natural to do this when you feel that you've had an affect on people, places and things in your sphere of life. I love telling my kids (two grown daughters) stories about their early life and accomplishments to make sure they are known, preserved and appreciated. And I've also developed what I call "fun family stories" in which from time to time I'll drop something in about our own history which I share with my kids and grand kids with the hope that it might "stick".
All this is to appreciate what came before and what still is. That this matters....that we're not irrelevant, that there were times we prevailed over deep challenges... overcame them, and continued life in the best way forward, the best way possible as we remained fully rooted like that Wysteria! And, as your wife says....."we're still alive"....indeed! And it's wonderful that you both came through this difficult illness in ok shape!
Just thought I'd add a thought or two!
Best,
Fred
Thank you Fred!

What lovely thoughts! Thanks for your added feedback and some of your own story! I can only imagine the lovely family you have!

Stay well Fred!

- Glenn
Old 05-29-2020, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful job with that Glenn, I really enjoyed it. Congrats on your 50th!

I'm another one that would love to hear you cover a few Dan Fogelberg tunes.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-29-2020, 10:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Beautiful job with that Glenn, I really enjoyed it. Congrats on your 50th!

I'm another one that would love to hear you cover a few Dan Fogelberg tunes.
Thank you Barry!

Thanks for listening and taking time to comment! And thanks for the congrats on our 50th wedding anniversary.

I will look into some Dan Fogelberg songs -- thanks for the suggestion Barry!

Stay well!

- Glenn
Old 05-30-2020, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Your rendition is perfection, as always. Your personal story related to the song was equally touching. Thanks for sharing both, Dan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell