The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-10-2019, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Default "interesting" business strategies in selling guitars

Stopped in a very nice brick-and-mortar store this weekend while on a trip.

Asked about a couple guitar brands they carried. The salesman informed me they can order any of the models. Their policy is (get this) to add $50 to the MSRP if it's under $1000 and add $100 to an MSRP over $1000, to cover their services.......ummmmm usually folks go down from MSRP not up. He said this covers setup, preparation and one year warranty (which all comes from the factory). I wasn't rude. I was too stunned to respond so I nodded dumbly and stumbled out.

Found a "dream" electric guitar online from a major retailer. The suggested retail price (before any sale or special or discount) is $2099. This particular one is used and returned with (get this) a crack in the neck pocket and various finish cracks and scratches. I figured it might be a good chance to get a deep discount on something right up my alley to fix. I've seen this guitar very on sale for $1849. So I figure an open box unit maybe $1749.....a used return maybe $1500....a damaged used unit probably $1300 max.

They said "no this is already discounted 10% as an open box so $1899 is the lowest we will go"......ummmmmm OK that's more for a broken used guitar than I've seen it for on sale new.

Found a cheaper guitar online.....been hanging on the store for three months untouched. They had a more popular color for cheaper. I asked if they can go any lower on this one since it's not moving they told me "no" but I can apply for a store credit card and borrow the money if I can't afford it.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 11-15-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
...Found a cheaper guitar online.....been hanging on the store for three months untouched. They had a more popular color for cheaper. I asked if they can go any lower on this one since it's not moving they told ....
So, you're looking at guitars that come in "colors". That's how I usually shop for cars..........
Old 11-15-2019, 01:01 PM

Their policy is (get this) to add $50 to the MSRP if it's under $1000 and add $100 to an MSRP over $1000, to cover their services.......ummmmm usually folks go down from MSRP not up. He said this covers setup, preparation and one year warranty (which all comes from the factory). I wasn't rude. I was too stunned to respond so I nodded dumbly and stumbled out.

if they're setup dude is totally on point, I guess I can understand a fee to cover that work.

But if he's the same kind of clown that most of the stores around my area have, that's just total crap.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic