The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Jim makes it the second person coming from Wisconsin, the place of my birth. Jim also frequents the town my Dad grew up in and I visited 3-4 times a year growing up! That makes it quite special for me that you are coming Jim. My Uncle Jim lived on Fulton Street as did my Grandfather![/B]
Thanks for the kind words, Tom! It'll be special for me to actually meet you and so many other AGF members in person. I'm assuming that I'll be seeing some beautiful guitars, too.......

Last edited by jim_pridx; 11-01-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_pridx View Post
Late to the party here, but this looks like great fun! See y'all there!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_pridx View Post
Thanks for the kind words, Tom! It'll be special for me actually meet you and so many other AGF members in person. I'm assuming that I'll be seeing some beautiful guitars, too.......
Yes, sir, good people and maybe just a few good guitars haha. So far I have caught wind of three of the builds....one is Cocobolo back and sides, another BRW and the last is old growth BRW from a beam in Brazil dated mid 19th century, yes over 150 years old, cites paperwork, the stuff that everyone says is impossible to find. This one will be a dread size with an Adi top...holy sound batman!

These are just the 3 I have been told of thus far being built just for B.I.G. 2019!!! Then folks will be bringing some of their own, I know Cigarfan will be bringing some beauties and I might have a few people will want to try out! So many great guitars and people.

Jeez, I get so excited thinking about it I almost wish it were next week, but Kathy and I have a lot of work to get done yet. so probably lucky we have a few months yet!
Old 11-01-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Darn it Tom! Would love to go, but not sure if I can swing Texas at that time. Only been to Texas once (Arlington and Dallas)...

Louie, this is an event right up your alley as I know how much fun you have at Woodstock. And no offence intended of the Dallas area, the Hill Country is another world altogether. A beautiful spot at the best time of year.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:03 PM

OK, as I have told a number of you in emails, Kathy and I are always thinking on how to make the event better. Well here ya go.

On Sunday, Bruce Sexauer has generously offered to give a free workshop on guitar making Methods/Philosophy/Concept/etc. This is available to all who are attending on Sunday at no extra charge.

So plan on being there, have some brunch a mimosa or bloody (or two) and listen to one of the premier luthiers in the world discussing the art of guitar making. What a once in a lifetime opportunity for us!

This is icing on the cake for a marvelous weekend!
Old 11-01-2018, 08:37 PM

Wow, looks like an amazing opportunity to see and hear some phenomenal guitars!
Old 11-01-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
OK, as I have told a number of you in emails, Kathy and I are always thinking on how to make the event better. Well here ya go.

On Sunday, Bruce Sexauer has generously offered to give a free workshop on guitar making Methods/Philosophy/Concept/etc. This is available to all who are attending on Sunday at no extra charge.

So plan on being there, have some brunch a mimosa or bloody (or two) and listen to one of the premier luthiers in the world discussing the art of guitar making. What a once in a lifetime opportunity for us!

This is icing on the cake for a marvelous weekend!
If I hadn't already bought my tickets, I'd buy one now! (I do still need to reserve a room though. Is there still room at the inn?)
Old 11-01-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
If I hadn't already bought my tickets, I'd buy one now! (I do still need to reserve a room though. Is there still room at the inn?)
Yes sir, there is room in the inn for you and many of your friends...!!!
Old 11-04-2018, 05:19 PM

Hello again everyone.

Just wanted to mention we have continued to have folks signed up, but please don't let that concern you, we still have room for more people as well as the Michael Watts' workshop and the newly added Bruce Sexauer workshop on guitar building philosophy/concepts/and methods. I think this workshop should be of interest to all whether you ever plan to build something yourself or you commission a build. Knowing what goes on and the reason behind the choices can only make you a better client and ultimately get you the guitar you desire. The more we know about the hows and whys, the more confident we are with our choices. With arguably some of the top luthiers in the country coming, it should be a perfect opportunity to learn and sample different guitars with their unique voices.

The reason I posted this event when I did was to give people time to make plans and figure out their schedules to make this work. I am surprised by how many emails I have gotten from folks wanting to come, but already had commitments that weekend. That breaks my heart, but we had to pick a time that worked for us. Baker did not change the date for Woodstock even once it was clear that I could not make it hahahahaha!!!!

Anyway, Kathy and I look forward to hearing more from anyone who wants to attend. Again, the only thing getting full are the MW one on one sessions, but I still have about 5 slots open for that on a first come first serve basis.

Tom

Last edited by TomB'sox; 11-05-2018 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:29 AM

Just me again, it has been 6 days since I updated the thread. We have continued to have folks signing up from around the country. Illinois is the latest state to be represented.

I have also had an inquiry from Scotland. Now along with Michael that truly makes this the B'sox International Guitarapolooza!!!

We also have many interesting folks coming from right in our area. I am discovering a little treasure trove of guitarists from my area that I did not know about!!!

So Kostal, Sexauer, Kinnaird, Wilborn, Edwinson, Two Hands Guitar Co., Humphrey amps, BBQ, workshops, concerts, and hospitality free of charge. Give it some thought and let me know!

Thanks, Tom

Last edited by TomB'sox; 11-10-2018 at 07:30 AM. Reason: sp
Old 11-10-2018, 10:59 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

I got my much anticipated confirmation. this should be a GREAT time with a bunch of GREAT people. Tom, I hope your house is friggin' big!! With the turnout I'm guessing, some of us may be hangin' out in the back year lol. Maybe the backup plan for an explosion in attendance is a big tent??

Whatever the case, should be a hoot!

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 11-10-2018, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
I got my much anticipated confirmation. this should be a GREAT time with a bunch of GREAT people. Tom, I hope your house is friggin' big!! With the turnout I'm guessing, some of us may be hangin' out in the back year lol. Maybe the backup plan for an explosion in attendance is a big tent??

Hey Mike, looking forward to finally having a chance to meet face to face!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 11-11-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post

Don't worry buddy, we have a list who gets to come in the house and those who will be in the yard. I am not allowed at this point to tell you which list you made, but hey, you know, keep trying and you never know if you may get granted VIP status. Tent? Nah, I am thinking more of a redneck fix, a tarp tied up between truck bumpers with a tree branch support in the middle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Hey Mike, looking forward to finally having a chance to meet face to face!
Isn't this one of the best parts? We will get to put faces to monikers and real names to actual people! I think that used to be called making friends if I remember right. A handshake and eye contact, OMG, can we all handle it?

Seriously, I am hoping there are enough people bringing guitars that at any time I look out and see groups of folks just jamming and singing all around the place!!! (BBQ and expensive guitars, hmmm, maybe that wasn't the best plan?) In the words of Happy Gilmore, that would be like "going to my happy place".
Old 11-12-2018, 04:04 PM

Well as promised, Kathy and I continue to try and make the event better and better. I think we have with the following two additions:

Sunday a seminar by Bruce Sexauer on guitar building philosophies, concepts, and methods included with the charge of admission. This should be a really nice addition for those who may be building and want to learn more or those getting ready to commission so that you have a more inside notion of what is going on!

Also, John Thomas (JT1) of Kalamazoo Gal fame and vintage Gibson expert will be attending and giving a talk regarding vintage Gibsons and will have his "Went to war and back" Gibson there and will allow us to play it as well!
John and this guitar are on a world tour which has included Germany, Italy, Pearl Harbor and stops in between now to include B.I.G.!!!

This guitar is the focus of a documentary film and will have been played by the likes of Mark O’Connor, John Sebastian, Ruthie Foster, John Jorgenson, Muriel Anderson, Clive Carroll, Mary Flower, Jamie Stillway, Derek Trucks, and Jeff Beck with more as well! You can play it also!

OK folks, what more can I do for you!!!!!
Old 11-12-2018, 05:52 PM

I'm thrilled and honored!

As for the guitar, it's a 1943 Banner SJ, which a young soldier bought it in late 1943 and took it to the European battlefront during WWII.

I'll have a very rough cut of the evolving documentary film of the guitar being played by the artists Tom named, in places like the Rosie the Riveter Museum, Pearl Harbor, the beaches of Normandy, Hiroshima & Nagasaki, etc. I'm honored to be able to share the guitar and project with you (the project is being underwritten by BandLab and The Guitar Magazine).

Oh, and I'm excited to be able to spend some time in the US Southwest, where I grew up and which is the subject of my most recent book.

Thanks, Tom and Kathy!

See you all in Texas!
Old 11-12-2018, 06:45 PM

Dang, Tom, there's too much to do now. You're going to have to tack on another day.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop