The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-14-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I have compared the full Anthem with K&K with tone dexter and they are very similar. It just depends if you want to carry the extra pedal around with you or not but like Dave said it’s nice to not have all the stuff in your guitar.
Good to hear, thanks!
Old 12-14-2019, 03:24 PM

I was ultimately disappointed with the Anthem and I tried both the SL and full version. IMO, its greatest strength (tru-mic) is also its greatest weakness. It's totally subjective but I find the tru-mic to have a very odd tone. It doesn't sound like a quality mic to me but has more of a processed, mid range heavy tone to it. I hear it in every Anthem demo and I heard it every time I used it live. I could never dial it out. I remember at one show, I plugged in and had another member in my band strum some chords. I went out front to listen and it had that cocked wah tonality to it (hopefully people get the reference). Even my band mates said it sounded terrible. I could improve it with eq and blending in less mic but it just never sounded natural.

I don't hear much of a similarity between the Tonedexter and the Anthem to be honest. Oh and for me personally, when the Anthem was installed, my guitar was missing something. Once removed, my guitar didn't suddenly become incredible but there was more bottom end and projection.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:57 PM

I have a K&K in my Martin HD-28V and I get great sound through my ToneDexter.

If I were to do it again, however, I would probably install James May's Ultratonic V3, which he currently has on sale for $179. I would still use the ToneDexter, BTW.

You can read about the Ultratonic here: http://jamesmayengineering.com/

BTW, James is a forum sponsor and usually monitors this forum.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 12-14-2019, 11:06 PM

The Anthem and the Tonedexter are different animals, like comparing apples to coconuts. I don't need to go into what makes the Tonedexter a more effective and powerful tool, because that info is all over this forum, but if you have multiple guitars you only need one Tonedexter. They do cost four C-notes, but they beat anything I have tried.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 12-15-2019, 01:59 AM
Charter Member

There is a lot of great info from some very seasoned guitarists in this thread. I played my Martin Outlaw today with the K&K and after some EQ'ing on my Baggs Align EQ and the Fishman Loudbox, I was getting a very musical sound.

Then I plugged in my Martin D-18 cutaway w/factory installed Anthem. Game over. The Anthem has so much more detail and sounds great. Even straight in. I have the Full Anthem.

I do agree there is a Baggs "house-sound" with the Tru-Mic. I also hear it in all of the ones I've played. but it just 'works' for my gigs and I get compliments on my sound a lot.

I think the ease of use and the overall sonic voice is fantastic and the Baggs Anthem remains my preference.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 12-15-2019, 08:33 AM

I have a Collings OM-2H, installed a K&K, tried several pres and eventually bought a ToneDexter, sounded ok, pulled the K&K about a month ago & had an Anthem SL installed. I haven't looked back, plugged in & or not plugged in. Happy camper. This is what makes the world go around.

Good luck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification