The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-10-2019, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

Default Gage Halland African Blackwood Greenfield Apprentice Kevin Ryan and Wingert content

I've been eyeing Gage Halland's work for quite some time. Many might know that he apprenticed with Michael Greenfield for 2 years. At the Greenfield shop, Gage help build 62 guitars for Greenfield! When building at the Greenfield shop, the shop motto was "Perfection is acceptable!" Gage says he still hears that in his nightmares!

My favorite wood combination used to be Brazilian/Cedar. When I played my first Somogyi, it opened my eyes to Brazilian/German. However, there is a special place in my heart for African Blackwood/Euro Spruce. Since the Cathedral, ABW/Euro has been in my top three wood combinations. I've been in touch with Gage and he has a guitar fresh off the bench that piqued my curiousity. He just finished a DC-H which is his dread and also his biggest model. This guitar is African Blackwood paired with a European Spruce top.

In 2004 when I was speaking with Kevin Ryan to commission my Ryan Cathedral, I commissioned a Braz/Cedar Nightingale. When the guitar arrived, I received an African Blackwood/Bosnian Spruce Cathedral! During my wait for the guitar, I was able to play a few dozen Ryans and when I got my hands on an African blackwood Cathedral, I called up Kevin and changed my order! We changed it to African Blackwood and went European Spruce for the top! I absolutely loved it then and it continues to amaze me each time I play it, even over 13 years later!

Earlier this year, I acquired an African Blackwood/Euro Spruce Kathy Wingert F. This guitar is truly amazing in every way. It is fully loaded with cutaway, bevel, soundport, and a beautiful blackpearl rosette by Jimmi Wingert.

And here are the pictures of the Halland coming my way soon!

I can't wait to play this guitar and compare it with two other world class African Blackwood guitars. How often can you have a Greenfield apprentice guitar side by side with a Ryan and a Wingert that are not only similar sizes, but the same woods! I hope to have more pictures, sound clips, and videos soon to compare the three!

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D

Last edited by ericcsong; 12-10-2019 at 08:04 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

Congrats Eric. I hope that is everything you hope for (and the some)... I also have an African Blackwood guitar (ABW/Italian Spruce OM by luthier Howard Klepper). ABW definitely does its own sonorous thing distinct from BRW in my view.

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 12-11-2019 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:43 PM

Oh wow, that is one stunning dread! Congrats Eric, can't wait to hear your impressions of it.
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 12-10-2019, 11:57 PM
Charter Member

Hope to pick a few on this one! Agree that euro/ABW is a wonderful combo...I have a super soft spot for BRZ with German/Italian just as much though.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 12-11-2019, 12:00 AM
Charter Member

There is something very special about ABW, and I’ve come to that conclusion with just one guitar in that wood. Congratulations on having three and all by superb builders!

Love the subtle use of the sapwood on the back of your new one. Looking forward to more images, particularly of Jimmi’s inlay work.

And if you ever get tired of that Wingert F……!

Col
Old 12-11-2019, 07:57 AM

As another agf member who is on Gage Halland's build list, I have been waiting for that dc-h to get the fancy video clip treatment. How nice it is that you are its new owner! I believe it is a dreamguitars commission so I look forward to Paul's mandatory clip. And of course you need to post some comparison clips between the halland and the new wingert and your cathedral!
Old 12-11-2019, 09:16 AM

Looks great Eric, and I know you NEED another guitar (like hole in the head)!

I'd not come across Gage Halland before. Just been to his website but no indication of his base price at all, nor any price on his available builds. That's unusual these days.

Does he keep his base price a secret or are you at liberty to divulge it here?

In any event, I know it will be a great guitar given his credentials.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 12-11-2019, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

I happen to own Halland #007 and it is the finest guitar I’ve ever played. Wild.

Gage’s base price is $10,500.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

I have a love for ABW as well and am lucky to own a Charis (Bill Wise) ABW/Carpathian and a Simon Fay ABW/Sinker Redwood, and they are both fantastic sounding and beautiful guitars.

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar
Old 12-11-2019, 01:18 PM

Only amazing instruments from you, Eric. ABW is an incredible tonewood, in every way.

"I strive to build my instruments with the finest Tone, Ergonomics & Aesthetics"

https://www.benjaminpaldacciguitars.com/
Old 12-11-2019, 05:01 PM

Interesting and timely post. Not sure if it’s just me, or is ABW/Euro becoming very popular lately? I’m a woodwinds player and have been using “grenadilla” clarinets forever. I’ve been interested in Keystone guitars in that combo. I would love to hear your impressions on the new guitar and anyone else’s take on the ABW/euro combo
Mike
Old 12-12-2019, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Congrats Eric. I hope that is everything you hope for (and the some)... I also have an African Blackwood guitar (ABW/Italian Spruce OM by luthier Howard Klepper). ABW definitely does its own sonorous thing distinct from BRW in my view.
I have high expectations for this guitar. I would love to play an ABW Klepper, bet it sounds amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaroo View Post
Oh wow, that is one stunning dread! Congrats Eric, can't wait to hear your impressions of it.
It is a beautiful Dread. A very tasteful and modern approach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
Hope to pick a few on this one! Agree that euro/ABW is a wonderful combo...I have a super soft spot for BRZ with German/Italian just as much though.
Dustin, should be here next week. We'll make it happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
There is something very special about ABW, and I’ve come to that conclusion with just one guitar in that wood. Congratulations on having three and all by superb builders!

Love the subtle use of the sapwood on the back of your new one. Looking forward to more images, particularly of Jimmi’s inlay work.

And if you ever get tired of that Wingert F……!

Col
More images coming soon! Wish you were closer to give it a test drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
As another agf member who is on Gage Halland's build list, I have been waiting for that dc-h to get the fancy video clip treatment. How nice it is that you are its new owner! I believe it is a dreamguitars commission so I look forward to Paul's mandatory clip. And of course you need to post some comparison clips between the halland and the new wingert and your cathedral!
I wish I was the new owner of this guitar! I am potentially on Gage's build list and since I have 2 other guitars in the same size and woods, it will give me a good idea of what I should do It will be available at Dream Guitars for sale! Looking forward to hearing Paul's clip as well!

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 12-12-2019, 09:13 AM

Eric, i see now - Gage and Paul are giving you the first preview to the new dc-h model? What a great opportunity! By all means you must get Dustin to play his tunes on the Halland and record it as well. I am looking forward to watching your clips soon.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:36 PM

Strong work there Eric! Congratulations!

I love what I've seen so far from Gage.
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Eric, I misunderstood your initial post (hence my congrats). I thought you had just bought Gage’s guitar. You were simply enthusiastically promoting an up and coming new luthier and recalling your love of a tonewood combination.

African Blackwood is indeed a wonderful tonewood!

When paired with a Euro Spruce top, It’s high mass and low internal damping definitely favors long sustaining notes. However, I find it to be a wonderful, yet somewhat different animal than BRW:
  • BRW interacts with Euro Spruce tops to create a deep, sonorous, rumbling bass.
    vs.
  • ABW interacts with Euro Spruce tops to produce deep, yet clearer, more articulate bass.

• BRW interacts with Euro Spruce tops to add blooming, airy, shimmering, high frequency partials.
    vs.
  • ABW interacts with Euro Spruce tops to adds blooming, lush, silky, high frequency partials.
Here is my ‘016 Klepper Italian Spruce/ABW, Multi-Scale OM:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop