The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-04-2018, 12:53 PM

I was wondering about the Roland and now this Finhole.
I have been using the puck from australia that
has worked great. Has XLR so cleaner send.
It is a one sound pony however, but, easier on the leg.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uriah1 View Post
I was wondering about the Roland and now this Finhole.
I have been using the puck from australia that
has worked great. Has XLR so cleaner send.
It is a one sound pony however, but, easier on the leg.
I was waiting until I had more experience with the Finhol to post about it, but since you asked ... I really like it. The ergonomics are much better than tapping onto a pedal; you're just tapping your foot on the floor in a specific spot. With the Roland pedal my leg would quickly get tired (surprisingly so), but I don't experience that with the Finhol. I seem to be better on timing with the Finhol as well, which I attribute to the fact that I'm just tapping my foot on the floor. The newer model - what I got - has 12 integrated drum & cajon sounds (older model required a separate outboard box, I think). Sound quality is good for me, I'm just looking for a thump. Short version review=
Old 04-04-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Soul View Post
I use the Finhol Laser Kick Pro.

Certainly not for everyone, and takes a little EQ to get right, but it works great for me in an acoustic 3 or 4 piece setting.

Neon, how are you EQing it?
Old 04-04-2018, 01:14 PM

Seems the only comfortable way to play one of these stomp boxes for any extended period is by sitting down in a chair while playing. I eventually gave up and now either thump out a beat into a looper or have recently gone back to my BeatBuddy. It just sounds so good and I can add virtually any sound to back me up. Keeping it simple so as not to take away from what Iím doing this seems to be the best option....for me anyway.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny.guitar View Post
Seems the only comfortable way to play one of these stomp boxes for any extended period is by sitting down in a chair while playing. I eventually gave up and now either thump out a beat into a looper or have recently gone back to my BeatBuddy. It just sounds so good and I can add virtually any sound to back me up. Keeping it simple so as not to take away from what Iím doing this seems to be the best option....for me anyway.
Keeping it simple - yes, very important, particularly for a person of modest skills like me. Even though I'd be tapping my foot anyway, amplifying that sound makes it another thing to pay attention to and it's harder than I would've thought. The Finhol is helping a lot, and it is WAY more comfortable than the pedal was, standing or sitting.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

For those interested in even more real acoustic drum sounds check out:
Sidekick drums: sidekickdrums.com
Farmer Foot Drums: footdrums.com

Especially if you have some drun set chops, but easier to play than a stomp box.

There are probably others. No relation to any of them...

_Roger

Last edited by RogerPease; 04-04-2018 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Auto-correct :-p
Old 04-04-2018, 08:01 PM

Scrounge up an old non aluminum license plate. Screw it to a box made from 1x2 decent wood like clear redwood or poplar. Scrounge the cheapest bass pickup you can find. Mount the pickup about a quarter inch under the license plate. Mount a jack in the side, solder it up and you have just built a Mississippi stomp box. Lots of YouTube vids.

Second caution, plate must be steel, so take a magnet to the flea market.
2014 Martin 00 15 12 fret custom
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play your guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 04-04-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPease View Post
For those interested in even more real acoustic drum sounds check out:
Sidekick drums: sidekickdrums.com
Farmer Foot Drums: footdrums.com

Especially if you have some drun set chops, but easier to play than a stomp box.

There are probably others. No relation to any of them...

_Roger
I have the Farmers foot drum but found it to be very tiring. Nice, well designed product but like similar products, it's best for someone younger who plays seated and has a strong drummer's leg.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:36 PM

Interesting thread for what Iíve been personally dealing with too. Iíve got something called a ďbeat root?Ē Canít remember exactly. Anyway, Iíve had the problem with the sore shin even during one song. When someone mentioned they have no problem tapping on the floor, it gave me an idea. I put something underneath my heel to raise my foot enough to level out where the top of my foot hits the unit. Helped tremendously. Good luck to yas.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Default Foot drum

Are you interested in selling your foot drum? If so, I'll send you a private
message. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyf View Post
I have the Farmers foot drum but found it to be very tiring. Nice, well designed product but like similar products, it's best for someone younger who plays seated and has a strong drummer's leg.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPease View Post
Are you interested in selling your foot drum? If so, I'll send you a private

message. Thanks.

I have a Shadow Stomp n bass for sale if this doesnít work out and your interested?
Old 04-12-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
Likewise. No extra equipment to bring along since the looper is already on my pedal board. However, anything that works for is great.
Me too, I found that can add a pretty cool element to some songs in a relatively easy fashion.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:27 AM

I have been using the Shadowstomp for 3 seasons now and I cannot say enough about it. It changed my performance completely. I use it in every song.

A couple notes;

a. you get used to standing and using it after a few weeks if you use it alot, you find ways to sometimes tap with foot and others stomp on it
b. it doesnt take a ton of work to tap, but at first its tiring, then you learn that you dont need to move your foot much given the thing has a humbucker in it, you can set the volume so just a small motion works

c. I use a passive mixer to combine my guitar with it into the PA, so I can control the volume....most stomp things have no volume

d. there are many techniques you will learn as you use it, starting without stomp, then adding it, then pausing, then hitting it loud, double hits, hitting on the 1 beat over 4 vs every beat, adding accents like drum flams

Once you start using it you will not go back. It changes everything.

Durability on the shadowstomp...AMAZING...i have used it in mud, stones, rain, cold, hot...it just lasts....

Finally you can mod it for a couple bucks to run on batteries rather than mains.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:48 PM

This thread has gotten me interested so I just ordered this $10 pickup to build my own: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073ZH1FNX

Like many here, I want something that I can play easily while standing. I think I'm going to build a little 'stage' that I can stand on that contains these pickups. Then as I stomp, I can get that bass sound. I don't know if it will work as I think so I didn't want to spend a lot of money. I have enough scrap wood that its cheap and easy enough to try.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
This thread has gotten me interested so I just ordered this $10 pickup to build my own: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073ZH1FNX

Like many here, I want something that I can play easily while standing. I think I'm going to build a little 'stage' that I can stand on that contains these pickups. Then as I stomp, I can get that bass sound. I don't know if it will work as I think so I didn't want to spend a lot of money. I have enough scrap wood that its cheap and easy enough to try.

Go for it. Never know till you try.
Iíve seen a ď stomp boxĒ made out of a piece of plywood raised up with 2x2ís on either side and a microphone stuck underneath. This gentleman played sitting down but it worked great.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification