The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-24-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimotwo View Post
does anyone know what type of finger picks sungha is using? the ones i've seen would not allow you to strike the strings like that.

believe he uses the Alaska piks

http://www.alaskapik.com/

This is cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyMQR...feature=relmfu

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫

Last edited by Fngrstyl; 04-24-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:31 PM

Now those are some picks I could get behind. The hardest thing for me is to find a thumb pick that doesn't stick out so far that it's un-comfortable. Going to a shop is useless because they just look at me like I've got 93 heads when I ask for something different.

Those look like it just BARELY sticks out past the finger, I'll have to order some!
Old 04-25-2011, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

Hey Joe, I had the same problem with thumbpicks. After a lot of searching, I ended up taking a dunlop thumbpick to the grinding wheel, and then shaping with a file. Turned out great

The alaska piks are quite long stock, so you'll need to file them down. Also, you need some nail to secure the picks in place. They slide under your nails.
If you don't keep longer nails, you could try securing the piks in place with tape or tight bands. Either way, I found them to feel kind of strange.

Another fingerpick to try is the Fred Kelly Freedom fingerpick. You can wear them over the nail. But, I thought that they were a bit bulky and couldn't keep the sides from clicking against each other. YMMV
Old 04-27-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyLuo View Post
Hey Joe, I had the same problem with thumbpicks. After a lot of searching, I ended up taking a dunlop thumbpick to the grinding wheel, and then shaping with a file. Turned out great

The alaska piks are quite long stock, so you'll need to file them down. Also, you need some nail to secure the picks in place. They slide under your nails.
If you don't keep longer nails, you could try securing the piks in place with tape or tight bands. Either way, I found them to feel kind of strange.

Another fingerpick to try is the Fred Kelly Freedom fingerpick. You can wear them over the nail. But, I thought that they were a bit bulky and couldn't keep the sides from clicking against each other. YMMV
I have an old (really old) speed pick thumb pick that I used occasionally. It has a small tip about the size of a felt tip marker that sticks out.
Can only find they on the internet now. Last shop a walked into and asked said something to the effect that they didn't stock any of those gimmick or "fad" picks, that no one bought them.

I keep my last one under lock and key

Old 04-30-2011, 08:05 AM

Just came back from a workshop with Adam Rafferty and realized there are at least two approaches:
- He plays these clicks just as if he wanted to play a note on the string: The pick moves into the direction of the A string and the top. He touches the E string with the top of the pick.
- Till this day, I just moved the pick in the direction of the top. I touched the string with the base part of the pick and/ or with the side of my thumb.

Adams action is very low; his way probably won't work with a medium/ high action.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

If using a thumbpick, it's quite a bit easier to hit between the E and A. Generally, if you don't need the A to ring, hit between E and A. If you do need it, go for the E. The E is a bit more difficult
Old 05-22-2011, 12:55 PM

I've been trying to learn some percussive style John Mayer songs, easiest being Why Georgia. No nail downstroke on the thumbhits.

Stop This Train is a lot harder for me to get the hang of.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:13 AM

Mayer and Mraz employ similar techniques. Here's a lesson about it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_AXlHOXhCc

Acoustics: Martin D-35, 1924 Martin 0-28k, Taylor 814-ce, Gibson Dove, Lowden F-22, 60's Gibson Folksinger, Taylor 655, Martin Baritone (prototype), Larrivee Parlor (tuned high-strung)
Old 05-31-2011, 01:24 AM

Also Sarah Jarosz demonstrates a clawhammer technique here that is a predecessor to Mayer and Mraz and others like them...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVGg38_QzOI

Acoustics: Martin D-35, 1924 Martin 0-28k, Taylor 814-ce, Gibson Dove, Lowden F-22, 60's Gibson Folksinger, Taylor 655, Martin Baritone (prototype), Larrivee Parlor (tuned high-strung)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD