The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-07-2010, 03:59 AM

Default Glue

Whats the best Glue to use when making a guitar???? Thanks

Mike Solo
Old 12-07-2010, 06:31 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Depends on the parts and the builder. 90% of the glue I use is Titebond, non waterproof. Easy work time, easy to correct mistakes. Epoxy for attaching the fingerboard. CA/Superglue can be your best friend. I always have thin and thick around.
The glue "to use" is Hide Glue. Its a hot glue that sets fast. Hide glue reqires perfectly matched surfaces. I haven't gotten up the nerve to work with it yet.
There is LMI white glue folks really like, I had no luck with it.

Tim McKnight wrote a lengthy indepth article on Glue and its sound transmission capabilities. It is in a back issue of Guitarmaker and possibly a link at his website McKnightguitars.com
Old 12-07-2010, 10:37 AM

Titebond for everything including fingerboard for me and Kitchen is right about CA being your best friend in a couple of different thicknesses.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:48 AM

one thing about titebond is that it has a shelf life and a storage life.

http://www.titebond.com/FaqTB.asp

I try to get the freshest possible by decoding the numbers on the bottle:

ex: 0AXXXX

0=2010 A=Jan XXXX=stuff I don't know about
Old 12-07-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solotaylor View Post
Whats the best Glue to use when making a guitar???? Thanks
Hot Hide Glue.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:37 PM
Me

It depends. For a beginner I recomend LMI white. It is a great glue that has the benefit of not making seems too ugly. Titebond yellow glue is a great glue, but on a spruce center seem or bindings, it can create ugly finish problems.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:05 PM

Thank you for your input. Im starting a Parlor steel string soon and this will be my first build...

Mike Solo
Old 12-07-2010, 10:23 PM

Hide glue is really not that hard, everyone knows that its the best. Try it you'll like it!
Old 12-07-2010, 11:40 PM

Hide glue certainly has the most mystique surrounding it, but in the end it's just glue, and with a good tight joint, a minuscule amount of it. I can hardly imagine a glue being elastic enough to affect tone, and all the good ones should be stronger than the wood, so... use whatever is easiest.

I personally like hide for most things, and LMI white for the rest. Hide is super strong, heat resistant unless moisturized, water resistant unless heated, dries fast, enables the ever convenient rub joint, you can vary the thickness depending on the job, it's friendly to repairmen, and forgiving to botched clamping jobs.

I'd recommend hide to beginners just for that last point. Some things like a scarf jointed headstock are tricky to get clamped properly, so it's really nice being able to re-do if you mess up, without worrying about the glue drying on you. Just pull it apart, scrape off most of the gelled glue, slop on some more hot, and try again. Even if it dries entirely, you don't have to worry about getting back to bare wood before putting more glue on.

I usually use LMI white for inlays. Easier than heating up the hide, and don't really need any of the other properties. Most people use CA though, so I should give that a try sometime. Also use it when I need more open time, I'm too lazy to heat up the hide glue, or I need to minimize squeeze-out (although some squeeze is preferable with just about any glue, hide is just less forgiving there). What I dislike the most about it is that it goes bad in about a year. It also starts to dry faster than I'd like, but not as fast as hide glue at least.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:20 AM

ok, snake oil & tradition aside.......

you want a glue that is easy to work with, dries in a reasonale amount of time, but can be loosened if you make a booboo....

hot hide does the above, but you need to heat it to start off.

a white PVA type glue is great for almost all the jobs in making a guitar, so standard woodworkers glue is what I'd reccomend, and for a reset or a "whoops" moment, a clothes iron will warm it enough to release.

epoxy is a NO as it's REALLY hard to release (though it can be done) and gorilla glue is just no good.
I LOVE that guy!!!!!!
Old 12-12-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinedwards View Post

a white PVA type glue is great for almost all the jobs in making a guitar, so standard woodworkers glue is what I'd reccomend.
no way, white PVA glue is susceptible to "creep" under tension.

If you are going to use a PVA glue, at least use Titebond original (they call it aliphatic resin but it's still PVA).
Old 12-16-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinedwards View Post

epoxy is a NO as it's REALLY hard to release (though it can be done) and gorilla glue is just no good.
Not for nothing but don't sell Gorilla wood glue too short. I've worked on a friends guitar and Titebond and Titebond II would not hold the bridge to the body. Three time it failed (and yes the glue was a brand new bottle.)

Gorilla white wood glue held it the first time and he is playing it almost nightly in pubs down here in Sarasota.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:32 AM

"one thing about titebond is that it has a shelf life and a storage life.

http://www.titebond.com/FaqTB.asp"

Yeah, but when you read the FAQ, they basically say the time limit is meaningless. A lot of the time, all that stuff means is that they haven't tested a product beyond a certain time. I mean, let's say the stuff is good for 100 years, how long do you figure a test like that might take.

Anyway, +1 on your point, who wants to risk it. I used to have a big supply chain problem with titebond, but I can get it locally so I use the freshest stuff I can. Now would I use the old stuff on anything that wasn't going out the door, you bet! What actually happens around here is that it gets mixed with water and used for kid crafts.

I have heard some bad stuff recently about CA. What is the news there? I hear it "evaporate" and people are having big repair problems. I would be really sorry to hear that since I loved doing bindings that way.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

I think any of the PVAs or aliphatics have to be stored carefully - out of sunlight and kept from getting too hot or too cold. I've found people who keep their glue ( and finishes ) in the unheated basement or garage, and found that they go bad from heat/cold/humidity -
Old 12-18-2010, 01:14 AM

Cold is a big problem up here. The glue dries like white chalk if it gets too cold. I keep the bottle in my pocket. Of course at that point the glue can be the least of one's problems.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair