The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-18-2019, 08:21 AM

Default Setup Assistance on KM184 & Felix

Yesterday I received some new equipment that I have little to no expertise with and am seeking any advise from others on how to setup and configure. I now have a Neumann KM184 mic with a Grace Design Felix going to a Fishman Artist amp. I also received a Headrush Looperboard but I will tackle that one later.

I will be using this equipment only at home as I do not play out at all.

Last evening I hooked up the mic, preamp, and amp and it all works. A bit of feedback at first but I have dialed it out. My principal question is related to the preamp to amp as there are duplicate controls on both such as gain.

Should you have any recommendations on how to setup this equipment, I am sure that it will save me a lot of time to find a good starting point.

Many thanks.
Guild F-512
Yamaha FG-200
Old 12-18-2019, 08:52 AM

So I guess you use the KM 184 on guitars, yes.
Set the EQ on your amp flat. Placemant of the amp is crucial for anything that follows. If you place the amp behind you, feedback will occur much more than placing it in front of you, on axis with the microphone. That means, the microphone is pointing at you and your guitar, and you can see the amp in direct line to the microphone, behind the mic
Placement of the mic depends on the guitar and the sound you want to go for. In the studio you would start with the body/neck joint position. For live use (I know you do not gig, but your setup is more of a live setup than an recording setup) you would place the mic a bit more towards the sound hole to achieve more gain before feedback. Now the wonderful Felix EQ comes in.
But first you want to fix the correct input level for the mic. The Felix will indicate that when heavy strumming (maximum peak) leads to red light on the mic channel. If so, bring the mic input on the Felix down a little bit.
EQ on the Felix is great and superior to the EQ on your amp. Set the amp EQ flat and leave it there. Set the Felix EQ flat and bring up the amp level to your needs. You will hear a boomy sound you will not like. That's from placing the mic near to the soundhoöe. Leave it there but bring up the HPF (high pass filter) on the Felix by dialing the knob clockwise. Turn it clockwise until the boom disappears but still enough bass left like you would hear from the acoustic sound of your guitar.
I never had the need to work on the mids. But the treble can be a problem and cause some feedback. The KM184 has some hyped trebles, the same with many acoustic amps. So if feedback occurs, bring down the trebles by dialing the treble know on the Felix counterclockwise.
The acoustics of your room is another topic you should pay attention. Easiest thing is playing with moderate volume level. Next step would be change room or placement inside your room or placing a carpet below you and your setup if performing on hardwood or any hard surface.
Hope that helps a bit.
Enjoy your wonderful new setup - you'll love it.
Cheers,
Bob

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 12-18-2019, 10:13 AM

Many thanks Bob. Yes, I am using this on acoustic guitars and the room has carpet flooring. I will try your recommendations indeed.
Guild F-512
Yamaha FG-200
Old 12-18-2019, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhockenbury View Post
…My principal question is related to the preamp to amp as there are duplicate controls on both such as gain.
Hi dh

What you are actually asking info on is gain staging (when you are feeding signals from one source to another).

Gain controls input volume, and Master controls Output volume.

Setting the gain on the original source first (which is the proper order) into the first active device involves turning the gain up on the device till it clips slightly and then backing it down just enough so it doesn't. The set the output volume into the 'gain' of the next device till it just barely clips and then back it down.

A typical setup might be Acoustic Guitar/Microphone-->Preamplifier-->Mixer-->PA speakers.

If your pickup is passive then the first active gain setting will occur at the Preamp level.

Even if the pickup is active (involves a battery inside the guitar plus a volume control) put a fresh battery in it so it's not producing distortion from low power. Set ALL tone controls in the chain (preamp, mixer, amp channel) to FLAT (except speakers).

If the internal pickup has a volume control try the guitar pickup output at around ¾ volume and be sure it's not distorting (headphones help with this). If it's active with no volume control use the same process as a passive pickup.

Set the input gain on the preamp till it just distorts (many have a flickering light that changes color when clipped) and then back it down. Don't adjust tone yet. Set the master out at a solid level (not overdriven) into the next piece of gear (mixer or stage amp or both is typical).

Repeat the process for any gear in your chain.

Then if there are subsequent input/output levels needed (as in the case of multiple pedals, or outboard gear between the preamp and the mixer), the formula never changes.

Input till it clips and back it off.
Master solid but not distorting on to the next piece of gear in the chain.

If you are finding input settings which are 'radical' on the input from a former piece of gear to the next gear, it might be because you are feeding the input section of the next device in line too much volume or too little volume. The Master/Output should be solid and not distorting. But if it's too low (which will avoid distortion) the input of the next needs to be turned up too high which can introduce noise (usually hiss).

After the chain is set, then adjust tone.

In your specific case it seems easy, you should be sure the mic going into the Felix is not overdriving the input, and then feed the master to the amp.

Your Felix has multiple channels so if you add gear to another channel, set it's gain and output the same way.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-18-2019, 01:29 PM

Many thanks for the advice Larry.
Guild F-512
Yamaha FG-200

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification