The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-25-2001, 01:09 PM

Post Hey mapletrees...

Where do you live at, you sound like the perfect teacher for me. Hope you're in Ohio.
Old 02-25-2001, 03:07 PM

Smile

mapletrees lives on Earth

Actually, not near Ohio.

I'm a private sort and choose not to post the personal stuff.

In all seriousness, I've been posting things while some older relatives that we've had to take in have been napping all about the place - I honestly can't play guitar with them all about (something like a ' the Waltons all go to the hospital' atmosphere around here)

It's very funny but in all liklihood I won't be giving lessons at all within the next two weeks or so. There are numerous family matters causing a need for substantially more money to come in...not going to get there with a guitar instructor's income....especially in a rural and poor area!

The funny thing is I had left my field because we have a child with severe disabilities who needed a complete change of schedule and routine to better thrive.

Anyways....I intend on still posting some things here for at least a while...if you get something out of it, great...

Just remember, how far you get with anything in life (guitar or otherwise) is largely determined by how well you've mastered basic and fundamental concepts.

I'm lucky enough to be able to hop right back into many possible areas of my field of study because of that reason above....

but man oh man, I wouldn't say I'm lucky in general...good grief....wanna TWANG!
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 02-26-2001, 06:00 PM

Smile

Just another thought on the whole instructor thing...and it's not like this is a big earth-shattering and original thought by any means...and I think I already said this somewhere else on this forum...

There's 7 x 24 = 168 hours in a week. Most people are with an instructor just one-half hour or perhaps an hour a week.

You must learn how to teach yourself.

Hopefully, an instructor can helf with that...quite honestly there aren't too...ok, ok, I'll stop beating up on instructors...

Work on things that are on an appropriate level for yourself, and master them.

Mrs. Mapletrees calls............something about cleaning the tub....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 03-04-2001, 06:16 PM

Cool

Hey Mapletrees,

I've been reading your lessons and vetting the info with my college son who is currently in his second semester of music theory.....you are doing a fine job and a service to all of us who did not learn to sight read as kids, and picked up music when we were past the age of immortality (defined as 24 or so).....BTW, minors as created as WHWWHWW, per my son. Also, from a major scale/key, you go back (down) 3 half steps to find the relative minor (for instance, C major to A min, and A min would be A B C D E F G A) based on WHWWHWW.

Keep up the good work, and thanks from all of us.
Old 03-04-2001, 07:21 PM

Smile

tbondo....

good to hear from you,,,,,but just out of curiosity....what prompted you to put in the info about the relative minors? Was it when I said "whatever they are" in that other post? Don't worry, the Tree knows his stuff.......I was trying to indicate something like "don't worry about those yet, don't get overwhelmed, we'll get to the relative minors in due time"....

just wouldn't want anyone to lose faith and think I had rotten roots or something....

What's your son studying? Music major?

And by the way....if someone gets something out of this....that's great.....but this honestly isn't the approach I take with students....we go a much more conversational route and refer to the fingerboard as often as possible...

Doing it this way is a little like yuppies reading books about how to plant a garden. It would probably be a more fruitful (no pun intended) experience for all involved if they found a lonely, elderly neighbor with a nice garden and sought out their wisdom and expertise.

on a toot tonight.....

grumpy with some relatives of mine....not the elderly ones.........

oh, btw, your son was correct of course with how you find the relative minor...

[ 03-04-2001: Message edited by: mapletrees ]

[ 03-04-2001: Message edited by: mapletrees ]
Old 03-04-2001, 09:32 PM

Wink

Senor Trees,

Si. Indeed it was your comment about the minors, though I had reckoned already that you knew what I was finding out...Son is majoring in Digital Media (BA)/Computer Info Technology (BS) -- dual degree (I told him that one was for fun, and the other for a job).

Of my several guitar compadres, my son is the most knowledgeable about music.....one guy plays everything he learned from other folks (sometimes it doesn't sound right), while another doesn't play much at all. I am trying to add more finesse to my playing (including leads and fills) while using my guitar time as a stress relief mechanism for work pressures.

Hope the relatives mellow out soon,
Old 03-04-2001, 10:25 PM
Nichols Custom Inlay

Hey Mapletrees,
I think we should have a topic titled Hey Mapletrees!
You have been doing a great job with the music theory lessons! I am sure that many many people are enjoying them and appreciate all your efforts. I certainly hope that you continue to have enough time to keep it going. Although I play professionally I am certainly not a great guitar player. (I just have a few great guitars) But I certainly believe if people take the time to learn theory it can do nothing but help them improve. By the way for anyone who needs a metranome there is a metranome software program that you can download at www.download.com just do a search at that sight under "tempo".
Take care and keep up the good work!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell