The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-19-2020, 03:57 PM

Default Good place to ask questions on Guitar Pro program?

Good place to ask questions on Guitar Pro program?

Hello All

I hope it is OK to ask this here and or that no one gets offended at the question, but I just picked up Guitar Pro 7.5 and is the first time I have used the program and while I do see some posting questions on how to use it here, I was just wondering if there were any more dedicated to or more frequented for questions directly on it online forms for it out there?

Thanks greatly for any help.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:31 PM

Welcome to the forum Ryan!

I can't imagine anyone being offended. If you do make a mistake, posting in an inapproprate subforum, the mods will move it for you.

There are some users of Guitar Pro here on the forum. I'm only here sporatically, so often don't see posts until much later though.

Ask away...

Craig
Old 01-19-2020, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

I'm a user of GP 7.5 - if you need help just ask. If I know the answer I will be happy to help.

The tabs I write are pretty straightforward, not a lot of musical directions, which I don't fully understand anyway.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-19-2020, 08:43 PM

Thanks replies guys, I guess for one thing is as I am so new to the program and also will say not very knowledgeable at all for all the correct terminology and other things regarding the writing of music I just worried that I might be asking too many questions and also in annoying ways as I don’t know so much.

At any rate, currently I am just starting out to learn guitar and am looking to use GP to rewrite out some of the lessons in the starter book I got as there are some ways it is written I would like to change to make things on the one hand easier for me to read, but also more focused on what I want to learn at least for the moment.

So for a lot of what I am trying to do I have figured out, but for one thing I can’t is that as typical each lesson is only a couple of lines and then has the notation of a complete end which I see as a vertical line and then a thick one after it, but while GP continually does this as you would expect in like how it would for a whole song, what I want to do is have it end like that at the end of each lesson of a few lines, and then start a new one on the same page.

If perhaps if its easier to understand what I mean, I have attached a pic to show the best I have been able to come up with.

So if you look at the pic, basically I want to place a complete ending like at the end of bar 16, at the end of bar 8, and in place of the not complete end that is there. Then have a whole new section start for Lesson B.

For a second question, as you can see in the pic I have put the bar notes letter designation above it for each one, but this did take a lot of time as I had to treat each one as a Free Text and put one in at a time and placed in just the right spot.

So is there anyway to have it done like that automatically on its own every time I put a note in a bar?

Thanks
Old 01-19-2020, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

I don't know about the note naming in gp. I learned the names of the notes back in 1960 so its not something I would have tried to figure out.

You might have to make a different gp file for each exercise, which to me isn't a big deal as gp allows multiple files to be loaded.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-19-2020, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanRC View Post
Good place to ask questions on Guitar Pro program?

Hello All

I hope it is OK to ask this here and or that no one gets offended at the question, but I just picked up Guitar Pro 7.5 and is the first time I have used the program and while I do see some posting questions on how to use it here, I was just wondering if there were any more dedicated to or more frequented for questions directly on it online forms for it out there?

Thanks greatly for any help.
Welcome, Ryan! You are in the correct sub- forum, and I am pretty sure some of the helpful, knowledgeable folks will be responding to your question. I hope you get the answers you're looking for!
Best,
LarryK.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:23 AM

Hello guys and thanks for the reply’s so far.

Just to mention and while it may come to a point where its to complicated for this, the reason I was looking to put the letter of the note above the one on the line was not so much to just learn its name, but more associate that letter with that note.....but then even more associate it with the sound the note makes as I played it so I could have an idea of what that should sound like as my thought was to at times instead of counting to try to sing the note with using that letter so it could help me do that.

So in other words for and in just using the above for simplification, if someone came to me and said, on your #1 E string play me 1 bar of E quarter notes, then 1 bar of F quarter notes, an one bar of G quarter notes, not only would I know what that means and what to do on the guitar to do that, but even more I could just know in my head what it should sound like such as if I didn't even have a guitar and was just thinking in my head what it should sound like.

Ultimately I would really like to get to a point I could just read musical notes on a sheet of music and just hear the music in my head as naturally as I could read written words and just know what they should sound like.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
For a second question, as you can see in the pic I have put the bar notes letter designation above it for each one, but this did take a lot of time as I had to treat each one as a Free Text and put one in at a time and placed in just the right spot.

So is there anyway to have it done like that automatically on its own every time I put a note in a bar?

Thanks
I don't know of a way to do it automatically, but if you use the Lyrics editor (Track > Show lyrics editor), then anything you type in in the lyrics editor shows up beneath the notation, automatically aligned under each note, using the spaces in between lyrics words (or in your case, note names).

So if you are editing the music that you showed in GP 7.5, and you enter "E E E E F F F F G G G G" (note that each letter id followed by a single space) etc., in the lyrics editor, then GP will automatically align it under the quarter notes in your notation.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
So for a lot of what I am trying to do I have figured out, but for one thing I can’t is that as typical each lesson is only a couple of lines and then has the notation of a complete end which I see as a vertical line and then a thick one after it, but while GP continually does this as you would expect in like how it would for a whole song, what I want to do is have it end like that at the end of each lesson of a few lines, and then start a new one on the same page.

If perhaps if its easier to understand what I mean, I have attached a pic to show the best I have been able to come up with.

So if you look at the pic, basically I want to place a complete ending like at the end of bar 16, at the end of bar 8, and in place of the not complete end that is there. Then have a whole new section start for Lesson B.
I couldn't find a really good answer to this question.

One thing that you can do is select the section that you want to play, by dragging the mouse over it. Then when you click the "Play" button, only the section that you selected will play. That is probably the easiest way to do it.

Another thing you can do is add a "rest" bar (no notes, so for example a whole note rest) after each section, and loop it for 99 times (the maximum number of times that a bar can loop). You could also change the tempo value to the lowest allowed, so the result would be that it would take a really long time. In fact, I just discovered that you can set the tempo to 1 beat per minute (wow!), so 1 beat per minute for 99 bars at 4/4 time would take (1 x 4 x 99) 396 minutes, or around six and a half hours! So you'd basically be making GP get lost at the end of a section, allowing you to decide when to ... OK don't do that, I just tested it and it crashed Guitar Pro, LOL.

So yeah, just select the section that you want to play, and hit "Play", and GP will play only that section.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:28 AM

Hello all

Sorry for the delay on this but have been really busy at work for the past week or so, but I just wanted to reply to let anyone reading this know that I wrote GP's tech support and the simple answer to my questions are, the program cannot do these things right now.

They did say that they were going to put the ideas on their wishlists for future releases, so at least that's something.

So for now I will just keep doing what I have been doing which eventually works for my main cause which is to reprint out things in the design I had posted so I can use it the way I want in my practicing.

Since the posting too I have learn some of the keyboard short cuts that can make the process quicker, and also am just coping and pasting what I have done already for new parts so all I really have to do is change a few things, so that has helped.

At any rate, thanks for all the responses and attempts for help regardless.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write