The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-22-2019, 04:10 AM

Default Technique Improvement after playing on thick wide neck

I bought a recording king Ros 10 and have been jamming on it the last 3 days. The neck on it is extremely wide and thick. 45mm wide and deep and round. The term that's used 'baseball bat" is appropriate and by no means exaggerated. Anyhows I like it though I'm quite small. I picked up my dirty 30,s and noticed that my technique and fluidity had improved quite a great deal. Such as moving hand positions fast up the next or playing harmonics shape fluidity and scales easier. Going to the thin c 1/11/16 just felt so amazingly comfortable in contrast to playing the thick neck.

The thing is though that I'm finding the wider string spacing of the Ros 10 productive for composing. Picking out shapes seem much easier. I would then go to the thinner neck guitar and be able to play them much better! Do any of you purposely practice on a guitar or write on one with a giant beefy neak? I really like the guitar and im not sure though if I should keep it as my playing is much more fluid on a thinner neck yet I can compose easier on a thick wide neck for some reason and the thicker neck is making me better. I'm interested in a short scale 24.9 model which I haven't tried yet.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:48 AM

Personally, I think you should stick with the chunky neck. I much prefer them and when you adapt to it I'm sure you will find it worthwhile.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:03 AM
Charter Member

I’m a newbie. I’ve been trying to learn finger style guitar for two years. I have realized I prefer thicker necks as they seem to allow my left hand to relax in playing position. I have also found that learning a new piece is easiest for me on a wide nut- 50 to 52mm- and larger string spacing at the bridge. For me I’m sure it has something to do with having to be less precise with fingering. Having more room to establish and ingrain hand movement patterns certainly works best for me. Once I’ve really learned it I am able to play it on a 1&3/4 nut neck.

I’m not sure if this is entirely the same thing thing but seems similar to what you are describing.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:23 AM

I most certainly think my martin 00-28vs has benefitted my playing with its fairly beefy neck, 48mm and mod v profile. It gives me plenty of room at the nut and the saddle and has benefitted my flatpicking as well as my fingerstyle.

1934 Gibson Kalamazoo KG11

www.reverbnation.com/jamesascott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion