The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-13-2019, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
You are, of course, absolutely correct. But as you see 4 pages of "much ado about nothing" because there are always those who can't let go of anything Martin.
Maybe you’re right; maybe I’m wrong. The beauty of such a big forum is that we see there are multiple sides to things and opinions vary widely. That’s why makes the world go ‘round. As long as we’re respectful and not bashing anyone, what’s the problem with a little discussion? I don’t have anything else to add that hasn’t already been said. Maybe others do. But documenting this publicly and getting four pages of conversation makes it worthy enough. And if you disagree, that’s honestly wonderful and part of what makes us human. But there’s usually value in each and every comment if you ponder it long enough.

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-13-2019 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:21 AM

There is no right or wrong Zoo. There are many brands of guitars that I would never be caught infirm playing because I think they don't arise to the quality of what I prefer to play, but I would never take the time to deride something that someone else might feel reverence for. I play many brands of guitars professionally and use them as tools to make a living. I really couldn't care less about what someone feels about a particular brand and have the same feeling for someone bashing Eastman, Gibson, Taylor or other.

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-13-2019 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 09-13-2019, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
There is no right or wrong Zoo. There are many brands of guitars that I would never be caught infirm playing because I think they don't arise to the quality of what I prefer to play, but I would never take the time to deride something that someone else might feel reverence for. I play many brands of guitars professionally and use them as tools to make a living. I really couldn't care less about what someone feels about a particular brand and have the same feeling for someone bashing Eastman, Gibson, Taylor or other.
Maybe it soothes you to know I own nothing but (2) Martin guitars, have one on the way, and am a huge fan who otherwise posts positively about the company? I'm not sure there's much knee jerk bashing or trolling here as much as expression of disappointment and discussion of the significance (or lack of?) or something like a wrong pick guard on a Martin. As a Martin "superfan," I still can't help but think it's a fair question.

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-13-2019 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Lightbulb

This whole thread can be summarized in 3 words. First World Problems. Perhaps there are some other things more worthy of our focus? Just a thought.
Steve
Old 09-13-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
Maybe it soothes you to know I own nothing but (2) Martin guitars, have one on the way, .....
However, there are more important things on a Friday. My end-of-week golf and Margarita festival (every Friday) is immanent so I need to change into something gaudy and get ready for the 10-minute ride to the golf course.

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-13-2019 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 09-13-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
There is no right or wrong Zoo. There are many brands of guitars that I would never be caught infirm playing because I think they don't arise to the quality of what I prefer to play, but I would never take the time to deride something that someone else might feel reverence for.
It is certainly a good point that one shouldn't deride others for their preferences in guitars.

I understand that Martin, Taylor and Gibson are the three largest American manufacturers of guitars so it is expected that that is what many people are buying and that those buyers are pleased with their choices. There is also a fairly vocal group of Eastman owners, many of whom seem to have a vested interest in the "Eastman is all handmade" and every bit as good for 1/2 the price as American guitars.

I'm glad that people are excited by the guitars they buy, but it can get a little tiring hearing how great their choices are.

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-13-2019 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Edited quote; Adjusted accordingly
Old 09-13-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
I like the look -actually better looking than the original-
The original is just to darn big
Agreed. I don't find the smaller pickguard objectionable at all.

Tommy
Old 09-13-2019, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
This whole thread can be summarized in 3 words. First World Problems. Perhaps there are some other things more worthy of our focus? Just a thought.
Steve
All AGF threads can be summarized in those three words unless someone can point out a thread dealing with subsistence living by residents of a third world country who also play the guitar....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-13-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
It is certainly a good point that one shouldn't deride others for their preferences in guitars.

I understand that Martin, Taylor and Gibson are the three largest American manufacturers of guitars so it is expected that that is what many people are buying and that those buyers are pleased with their choices. There is also a fairly vocal group of Eastman owners, many of whom seem to have a vested interest in the "Eastman is all handmade" and every bit as good for 1/2 the price as American guitars.

I'm glad that people are excited by the guitars they buy, but it can get a little tiring hearing how great their choices are.
Agreed. People, myself included, often spend considerable time comparing products before a purchase. For much of that time, several choices may seem more or less equal, making it hard to decide. But, after we finally make a choice, if the item is at all expensive, we want to believe we have made the best and only possible choice and that any sensible person would have done the same. We don't want to have screwed up, so we heap great praise on our purchased item.

The irony is that many of these "best in the world" guitars are sold within a few years.

Not tryin' to brag, or nuthin', but I own a guitar.

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-13-2019 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 09-13-2019, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Guys, let's get off this never-ending discussion of brand bashing. It's OK to ask questions and it's OK to voice opinions. Simply voicing one's opinion does not usually merit a bash. The conversation of bashing has gone on long enough. Move on...
Old 09-13-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
All AGF threads can be summarized in those three words unless someone can point out a thread dealing with subsistence living by residents of a third world country who also play the guitar....
Best post evarrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-13-2019, 09:31 PM

Are people living in a first-world country the only people concerned about having the wrong pick guard on a guitar?
Old 09-14-2019, 12:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
That's not an OM pick guard on a dreadnought.

That's the correct pick guard for the new Martin deep body, wide bout, Modern Deluxe Natural 14 fret OM.

OMDBWBMDN-14

Now that's funny.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion