The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Default Electric Guitar string height questions

I don't know Electrics. Help!
I scored a 2001 Gibson SG at a Pawn shop! First Pawn Shop deal I ever got.
The neck was a boat. The saddle was adjusted high to compensate. Rust on the screw heads. No fret wear. My Guess? A wannabee rocker living in Moms basement
She Polished up nice. Miguires Polish takes on Peanut butter and all yuck. Martin Spray Polish made her clean up proper.
Well I now have the neck straight. 4) 1/3 turns over 5 days. Down to fine adjustment for a flat neck. Then I can lower the saddle. What height am I shooting for at the 12th fret? High E and low E?
There is the slightest of Hiss when I switch channels slow. None when I do it at normal speed. Is that normal?
My plan is to sell and profiteer. BUT We will see after I plug her in! I have been playing a lot of Electric lately.,,,,,, But man I need a Tractor Mower!
Old 03-07-2012, 08:21 PM

Depends on your style and touch, but I set my telecaster up at about 5 or 6 /64 on the low E at the 12th fret and about 4/64 on the high E.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:37 PM

Will Kelly is a really good guy. He's also been great about answering my questions, emails, etc.

Cool guy - great knowledge - easy to work with.

Hope this helps!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb2YiJXtguw
Old 03-07-2012, 09:51 PM

John,

My SG measures 4.5 64ths at the low-E at the 12th and 3.5 64ths at the high-e at the 12th. No fret buzz & it has been professionally fret-leveled. (yup) (by me) (do not attempt this at home w/o proper tooling and a safety belt) (moo)

*everything* is a tone control
Old 03-08-2012, 05:15 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Thanks folks! Hi Don!
Old 03-08-2012, 10:46 AM

it really depends upon how you play, how you tune, and what string gauge you use. SG's can be set up to play fast enough and it really depends upon what you want out of it. I had an 81 SG and I dialed in .062 on the treble E and .093 on the bass E @ the 12th. I tune down a whole step and use .010 to .046 strings. Granted this is what I like and is not for everybody. A bit of neck relief helps -like no more then .003 would be where i'd go.

You'll need to check out the pu height as well. too high + low action = magnetic quenching which will kill tone and volume. i don't recall actual dimensions right now but you could google some gibson specs. In Dan Erelewine's guitar set up book there are some good numbers to work with.

"There is the slightest of Hiss when I switch channels slow. None when I do it at normal speed. Is that normal?"

this is because the rhythm/treble switch is a rocker switch and breaks contact between detents when switching pickups. when you move it slowly you'll hear the break more then when throwing it more normally. as a general overhaul procedure i'd clean the contacts with cleaner and q-tips and not worry about it unless it's totally worn and loose -in which case it would get replaced. do the same with the 1/4" jack as well and replace or adjust the prong if sloppy.

have fun!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair