The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-03-2019, 09:28 AM

I, too, have many special memories with playing acoustic guitar.
I'll share:
My wife and I had finally squeezed out the resources (time and money) for a honeymoon--almost a full year after our marriage--and Mom looked after our toddler daughter.
We went camping on the Bruce Peninsula in Canada; beautiful spot with our tent about 50 yards from a picture perfect lake--no motorized craft allowed. During our first evening there, it was sizing up for a beautiful sunset, so we went down to the lake edge, me toting my Yamaha FG335II. I had been working on something--an instrumental--and started playing around with the melody and chords.
It all came together in this bliss of my beautiful wife and this setting ("Sunset at Cedar Lake")! As I was doing this a few other campers had also been walking to take in the sunset; some sat down unobtrusively nearby. There was a guy drift paddling by in a canoe, also for a view of the sunset, directly in front of us out about 30 yards; color is at its peak, me playing, loon in the distance, guy in canoe silhouetted now as the lake glows in colors...
and as I finish a round of my tune, the canoe guy boldly declares,
"This is awesome!"
I smiled, put the guitar in its case; drop the mic'--doesn't get any more memorable
Old 06-03-2019, 09:29 AM

Sitting about 40 feet away from the stage when Julian Bream did his last US tour. This guy brought me to tears. I could not believe how good he was.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:37 AM

Kayak camping in Baja where our group had three travel guitars and a couple ukuleles, all of which fit into drybags and could be strapped to the top of the aft hatch. Mine was a Washburn Rover that sounded awful in the city but great in wilderness.

Nothing better than a jam at sunset on a beach in Baja.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:23 AM

I'd have to say as a youngster when I played and sang a song all the way through with no mistakes for the first time.

That moment put a lot of wind in my sails to wanting to continue.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:10 PM

I met a girl and asked her out. We went to a club, Mississippi Whiskers, in Nashville, and we saw Lennt Breau. The next weekend, I took her out to Percy Warner Park and I played and sang for her. That was 43 years ago, and we’re still together.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

The time I got to play this....no big deal ;-)
Old 06-03-2019, 02:11 PM

October 1998. Saw Eric Clapton and Bonnie Raitt at Earl's Court on the Saturday night. Next day I dragged my wife to the Acoustic guitar Centre to try some 'nice' guitars. I had been reading about Lowdens but had never had the chance to try one.

My sons were young and spending more than a couple of hundred pounds on a guitar was an extravagance so playing a top end model was all I could hope for.

The lowdens were fantastic and everything I had read about appeared to be true. I tried Martins, Taylors etc, etc before my wife asked which one I liked best.

"The Lowden was the best." I said.

She took out her card and bought it for me.

One of my favourite weekends.

YouTube
Old 06-03-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgepin View Post
I'd have to say as a youngster when I played and sang a song all the way through with no mistakes for the first time.

That moment put a lot of wind in my sails to wanting to continue.
That’s a wonderful memory that I think many of us can share. I definitely remember the first time I played and sang a whole song with no mistakes, but I was no youngster.

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2019, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy the dog View Post
October 1998. Saw Eric Clapton and Bonnie Raitt at Earl's Court on the Saturday night. Next day I dragged my wife to the Acoustic guitar Centre to try some 'nice' guitars. I had been reading about Lowdens but had never had the chance to try one.

My sons were young and spending more than a couple of hundred pounds on a guitar was an extravagance so playing a top end model was all I could hope for.

The lowdens were fantastic and everything I had read about appeared to be true. I tried Martins, Taylors etc, etc before my wife asked which one I liked best.

"The Lowden was the best." I said.

She took out her card and bought it for me.

One of my favourite weekends.

Hi Ozzy, I guess you are talking about "The Acoustic Centre" behind the Bass Centre in Wapping ?

That's where they assembled every 12 fret dread they could find for me, and where I bought my first Collings. Great shop, sadly long gone.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi Ozzy, I guess you are talking about "The Acoustic Centre" behind the Bass Centre in Wapping ?

That's where they assembled every 12 fret dread they could find for me, and where I bought my first Collings. Great shop, sadly long gone.
Yes that's the one. It was a great shop and I spent a very enjoyable afternoon there. Unfortunately, at 250 miles it was a bit too far to call local and the next time I was down there it had closed. I could have spent a small fortune in there (if I'd had it of course).

YouTube
Old 06-03-2019, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras
Default Your Favorite Guitar memory

My favorite memory of hearing someone else play a guitar is when I was in a songwriting workshop with Janis Ian. She played and sang At Seventeen standing about 2 feet away from me - unplugged on one of her Santa Cruz Signature parlor guitars. That was a treat.

My favorite guitar memory from my own playing would have to be the first time that I played and sang a song in front of a group without my hands shaking. That was memorable!!

Best,
Jayne
Old 06-03-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
My favorite memory of hearing someone else play a guitar is when I was in a songwriting workshop with Janis Ian. She played and sang At Seventeen standing about 2 feet away from me - unplugged on one of her Santa Cruz Signature parlor guitars. That was a treat.

My favorite guitar memory from my own playing would have to be the first time that I played and sang a song in front of a group without my hands shaking. That was memorable!!

Best,
Jayne
Thanks, Jayne!
Been there with those shaky hands.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:23 PM
AGF Administrator

My favorite is from high school when I finally acquired the Ovation I had been wanting for the longest time. I worked at Burger King for a summer and saved my money for it. I wish I still had that guitar...
Old 06-04-2019, 12:50 AM

Mine would be the day I bought my first guitar, which was an old Epiphone Coronet electric from the pawn shop. I was 11 years old and had sold my bicycle to get the money for it. I kept opening the case up to stare at it, and left the case propped open when I went to sleep that night so that the first thing I'd see when I woke up was the guitar.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:02 AM

Default Your Favorite Guitar memory

For me three occasions come to mind seeing the Hellicasters live for the first time at the London Guitar Show and holding Hank Marvins original Fender Strat .
But the best of the best was playing a solo fingerstyle version of Wonderful Tonight for my Daughters and Son in Laws first dance at her wedding
Priceless
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion