The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-09-2019, 06:46 PM

Default Carbon Fiber Dreads ???

Howdy again everyone. After all of your great advice you gave me on my crossroads post. I have decided to keep trying and maybe write some songs.

I have always wanted a carbon fiber dread, so I think now might be the time to do it.
So not thinking high end dreads, which ones should I look at for good bass and strumming ?

Will prob sell or trade a nice hollowbody electric I never play to fund one.

Thanks
Bill
Old 06-09-2019, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Hey Bill,
There's been a couple recent posts praising the Rainsong dread that should still be near the top of the page. Of course being a Emerald fan boy, I have to mention their X30. A lot is going to depend on your needs, wants and budget, there's a number of great CF dreads from different manufactures available. Emeralds are sold direct, so you may have to try and find a local owner to try one, for any other brand, I would call Ted at LA Guitars. He is a wealth of knowledge and great to deal with. Best of luck to you.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:05 PM

Thanks John ! Will prob be looking more towards used or lower budget.

Thanks again
Bill
Old 06-10-2019, 02:34 PM

I like my Composite Acoustics Legacy. I think you can find used for a reasonable price. I think it has a very wood like sound and is comfortable to play. I like best with 80/20's.
Again, Ted at LA Guitars is a great source for all things carbon fiber.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:25 PM

Hi, Bill

I canít speak to their dreads, but I have a RainSong concert hybrid parlor. I do own and play wood guitars, as well. For example, I have a Martin and a Taylor, with a Collings on the way. All I can tell you is that I love my CF parlor and I play it frequently. It is very comfortable to play and very loud for its size. It seems to be well built and I expect it will last a long time with little maintenance or preventive care. I like the peace of mind that comes with knowing I can have it with me just about anywhere, pretty much worry free. I was a bit hesitant to buy a CF, but Iím so glad I did. RainSongs arenít inexpensive, but they donít break the bank and you could probably find one (new or used) for reasonable price. So, to sum it up, I love my CF and in my limited experience RainSong builds a quality, comfy, relatively nice sounding guitar. Get yourself one!
Rainsong CH Parlor
Fender American Elite Tele
Ibanez AS103nt
Farida Uke
Old 06-10-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsstrider View Post
I like my Composite Acoustics Legacy. I think you can find used for a reasonable price. I think it has a very wood like sound and is comfortable to play. I like best with 80/20's.
Again, Ted at LA Guitars is a great source for all things carbon fiber.
Love the CA Legacy, the ones with the RAW finish should be priced right if the OP can find one.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:07 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

I have a Rainsong Black Ice dread that sounds great for strumming and flatpicking. This one is 14-fret but apparently Rainsong does a 12-fret also as someone posted recently.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:04 AM

Thanks for all of the great advice and sharing your wisdom guys.

I have been looking online and looks like I will be keeping an eye out for a good used

Thanks
Bill
Old 06-13-2019, 07:11 AM

I've been playing my RainSong H DR1000 as my primary guitar for the past 7 years. It is by far my favorite for any kind of playing I do.

You can see and hear the different styles I play with my RainSong Dred by checking out my YouTube channel. I play it plugged in mostly, but there are several examples of just acoustic.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7I..._as=subscriber
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Guitar Works A style
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Yamaha -1999 FG 460 SA (my drop tune axe)
Old 06-13-2019, 08:46 AM

Over the years I've owned a Legacy, CO-DR and H-DR. I think the H-DR is the best CF dreadnought of those options.

RainSong CH-PA1100NS, Schatten Passive HFN, Elixir PB 11s, TKL 8975, Access 3/4 Upstart Gig Bag
RainSong CO-PA1100NS, Schatten Passive HFN, Elixir PB 11s, TKL 8975, Access 3/4 Stage 1 Gig Bag
RainSong H-DR1100N2, Elixir Poly 12s, Gator Transit

Soundcraft Notepad-12FX, one QSC CP8 (21 lbs) high/behind

www.justsoduo.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber