The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-22-2018, 12:36 PM

Default Factory Gibson Pick ups

Does anyone have any opinion on the LR Baggs VTC pick ups used in their acoustic guitars? Can you replace that pick up if needed without having to mess with the existing bridge etc.

Thank you.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobro03 View Post
Does anyone have any opinion on the LR Baggs VTC pick ups used in their acoustic guitars? Can you replace that pick up if needed without having to mess with the existing bridge etc.

Thank you.
That's an easy pickup to rip out if you need to. It just requires a new saddle and that's a simple fix. I personally don't like the Element UST on its own which is what the VTC is, but one cool thing you could do is down the road put an LR Baggs Anthem in. Not only will you get a much more natural tone but you won't even have to change the saddle since it's the same UST but with the internal mic.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:52 PM

Does the extra Anthem add weight or affect the sound of the guitar when recording in a studio with studio microphones without the pickup?
Old 09-23-2018, 04:27 AM
Charter Member

The Baggs Element VTC is a great pickup. I have, and have had, it in a few Gibsons. Good bass. No quack.

I think this thin ribbon UST is a really nice robust pickup.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:26 AM

My Gibson Hummingbird Pro, that I gig with, came with that pickup. For the stuff I play it's great. It's not absolutely an accurate reproduction of the acoustic sound of the guitar but it's close enough and sounds great. I have K&Ks in other guitars and this pickup is less boomy and requires less eq adjustment than those. I have no plans on changing it.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobro03 View Post
Does the extra Anthem add weight or affect the sound of the guitar when recording in a studio with studio microphones without the pickup?
Generally most people who do say they notice a change in acoustic tone say it’s due to the element UST which you already have in the guitar. Switching to the anthem should not change the tone.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:41 AM

Thanks for all the info everyone.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
The Baggs Element VTC is a great pickup. I have, and have had, it in a few Gibsons. Good bass. No quack.

I think this thin ribbon UST is a really nice robust pickup.

+1. And I love it that you can go a thousand hours on a battery.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification