The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-18-2018, 09:01 AM

Default Why would a PA system have a delay effect but not reverb?

There is a Phonic Powerpod 410 PA in the practice space where I play at lunch and I noticed that it has a delay effect but no reverb. I frequently hear people using reverb, I've never heard of anyone using delay.

What is the thinking that supports this feature instead of reverb?
Old 09-18-2018, 09:14 AM

It is cheaper.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-18-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
It is cheaper.
I get that but doing nothing is cheaper still. Seems like a lot of work to add a useless feature. That's why I assumed I just don't know what that feature is for.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
I get that but doing nothing is cheaper still. Seems like a lot of work to add a useless feature. That's why I assumed I just don't know what that feature is for.
It's not useless if you play Rock a Billy! Actually I like to use just a touch a of slapback delay to thicken my vocals and often don't use reverb at all in my acoustic act. But I'm always experimenting to get the right sound.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:25 PM

I don't use reverb on vocals. It takes the presence from your voice, and takes it out of the mix. Plus reverb is a crutch for bad singers live. Some delay is a good thing, it helps double your voice, that is, thickens it.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitaurman View Post
It's not useless if you play Rock a Billy! Actually I like to use just a touch a of slapback delay to thicken my vocals and often don't use reverb at all in my acoustic act. But I'm always experimenting to get the right sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerDuck View Post
I don't use reverb on vocals. It takes the presence from your voice, and takes it out of the mix. Plus reverb is a crutch for bad singers live. Some delay is a good thing, it helps double your voice, that is, thickens it.
Well, maybe I'll have to experiment with it! Like I said, it's in the practice room so its not like I'm trying to make a living with it or anything.

As a side note, how awesome is it that I work at a company that has a dedicated music room with a PA (even if low end) and company provided instruments!!!
Old 09-18-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
Some guy in marketing thought it made a useful price/performance/feature combination. The delay in my Boss Katana Mini is actually not too horrible for adding ambiance that is somewhat reverb-like.

I didn't like New Coke either.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-18-2018, 02:27 PM

I prefer delay on my vocals. The short delay on my MG06X is terrific. Really saturates the presence of vocals.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:42 PM

Another thing I didn't consider is that maybe it's just that this particular delay effect sounds bad. Maybe others sound good...
Old 09-18-2018, 04:38 PM

Actually clear back in the early 80's I didn't use my mixer's reverb at all. I got a rackmount DOD Dual Delay. It was a cool analog delay and just a touch got me the sound I was after. Later I used a digital delay effect on my '89 Yamaha powered mixer. Now I have both a T.C. Helicon Play Acoustic and a Yamaha MG10XU mixer which both have great vocal delays. It's just a cleaner sound to my ears compared to reverb.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:16 PM

I think the built-in delay feature is actually aimed at those who may need delay, in certain situations, to have the sound reaching particular audience members at the correct time so things don't sound out-of-phase. I know this may also be done with subs. I'm no sound engineer, but I've heard this from a few fellas that really know how to make a PA sound great. I have the QSC K10.2s and they, along with the entire K.2 lineup, have the delay feature.

Last edited by JWJ915; 09-19-2018 at 06:38 AM.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWJ915 View Post
I think the built-in delay feature is actually aimed at those who may need delay, in certain situations, to have the sound reaching particular audience members at the correct time so things don't sound out-of-phase. I know this may also be done with subs. I'm no sound engineer, but I've heard this from a few fellas that really know how to make a PA sound great. I have the QSC K10.2s and they, along with the entire K.2 lineup, has the delay feature.
This is a real thing.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=572579
Old 09-18-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerDuck View Post
So reverb is a crutch but using delay for thickening isn't?
Old 09-18-2018, 08:17 PM

I guess you could make the argument that it's a crutch, as is a preamp, chorus, tremolo, etc for guitar. EQ and notch filtering? I look at effects as tools to get a sound that's pleasing to an audience. Play in a large hall and there is a natural reverb so is that a "crutch." I don't even try for a totally natural acoustic guitar sound, if that's even possible amplified. I want a pleasant tone that cuts through the mix and compliments the vocals.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWJ915 View Post
I think the built-in delay feature is actually aimed at those who may need delay, in certain situations, to have the sound reaching particular audience members at the correct time so things don't sound out-of-phase. I know this may also be done with subs. I'm no sound engineer, but I've heard this from a few fellas that really know how to make a PA sound great. I have the QSC K10.2s and they, along with the entire K.2 lineup, have the delay feature.
Totally different type of delay. The one the OP references ADDS a delayed sound to the existing one. The one you are talking about delays the actual (original) signal.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification