The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-17-2018, 08:04 PM

Default Best Soundhole PU for Martin HD-28

I am going to add a soundhole pu to my Martin HD-28v. I have an M-80 lying around but thats it for soundhole pickups. I am interested in knowing what sounds best in that guitar. I do use outboard effects pedals and run all of it into two Shertler David Deluxe amps on poles. Thanks for any advice.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 09-18-2018, 08:45 AM

I don't have an HD 28 but do use a DiMazio Angel in my Martin 000-15M. I run it through a passive DI into ch.3 of my Schertler Jam 100 and it sounds wonderful. I also use Baggs M80s in other guitars but find the Angel sounds best in the 0001-5 and it fits easily in the small (3.5") soundhole.
Yamaha FSX800C
Bose L1c
Schertler Jam 100
Gretsch G2655
Gretsch G5655T
Old 09-18-2018, 09:23 AM

I would put your M80 in the HD28V, and put your money to a nice EQ box to trim the bass, highs, stray mids and a bit more control in general.

BluesKing777.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:05 PM

I would second BluesKings advice. The M80 is a good choice for a soundhole pickup, and would pair nicely with a Baggs Para DI or Venue DI.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:12 PM

I really don’t like the sound of an M-80 that much.

I have three guitars with the Schertler AG-6/S-Mic installed. That is my favorite, but I also like what I’ve heard from the Fishman Rare Earth Blend and several other mag mics.

A mag/mic pickup will give you a sound somewhere between a jazzbox and a miked guitar: much like what Martin Taylor gets on his albums. Not everyone’s cup of tea, but it is my favorite amplified acoustic sound.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:21 PM

It is amazing what a few tweaks on an EQ box can do to a Baggs M80.

This is the Align EQ demo with a similar M1A pickup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTni...dc99gdmo5sHsWq

I also use and like an older Fishman Pro EQ which they don't make any more....

BluesKing777.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:24 PM

I've used the M80 and M1A in my D28 but now use a DiMarzio Black Angel which does a far better job for me. Definitely worth a try in your HD28.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Hi hotrod,

* I've performed with several different mags over the years and currently I'm pleased with the sound I get for my style with the following combo: Martin D-18, M-80, Baggs Align EQ thru Fishman Loudbox Artist and/or Performer ...I use both.

** I did an extensive demo vid on how to optimize the M80 in your guitar. There are some excellent choices with the Dimarzio Angel, Schertler, and Duncan Mag. You have to find the combo and features that work best for your particular application. Some may find the mag/mic style works where for others it may not, passive vs active etc... however, they all benefit from a quality EQ, phase switch, High Pass Filter and a notch filter.

*** I like the tone and features of the M80 and the dual source-like ability of the M80 vs having a mic. Adjustable poles, long battery life and indicator, active/passive switch, pickup weight, looks and most of all tone all fit my style well with the M80 and add in the Align EQ and it tweaks the sound beautifully...many variables factor into achieving a sound that works for your style and attack; and putting time into experimenting will yield finding what works for you.

Here is the thread and video I posted awhile back that may be helpful if you want to try the M80 you already have. I've also used the M1A I performed with in my Lowden which was nice too. I like the Angel as a second choice to the M80.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=517255

Best wishes!

Last edited by noledog; 09-19-2018 at 06:28 AM.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
* I've performed with several different mags over the years and currently I'm pleased with the sound I get for my style with the following combo: Martin D-18, M-80, Baggs Align EQ thru Fishman Loudbox Artist and/or Performer ...I use both.

** I did an extensive demo vid on how to optimize the M80 in your guitar. There are some excellent choices with the Dimarzio Angel, Schertler, and Duncan Mag. You have to find the combo and features that work best for your particular application. Some may find the mag/mic style works where for others it may not, passive vs active etc... however, they all benefit from a quality EQ, phase switch, High Pass Filter and a notch filter.

*** I like the tone and features of the M80 and the dual source-like ability of the M80 vs having a mic. Adjustable poles, long battery life and indicator, active/passive switch, pickup weight, looks and most of all tone all fit my style well with the M80 and add in the Align EQ and it tweaks the sound beautifully...many variables factor into achieving a sound that works for your style and attack; and putting time into experimenting will yield finding what works for you.

Here is the thread and video I posted awhile back that may be helpful if you want to try the M80 you already have. I've also used the M1A I performed with in my Lowden which was nice too. I like the Angel as a second choice to the M80.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=517255

Best wishes!

Hey Eric!

My Baggs Align EQ arrived yesterday and I need to spend more time with it, but what settings do you use on the M80? Take a pic!
Later, I am going to hook up both my Align and my Pro EQ! (Pro EQ is a DI as well and has a 'smooth' knob I like with the M80.

BluesKing777.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Hey Eric!

My Baggs Align EQ arrived yesterday and I need to spend more time with it, but what settings do you use on the M80? Take a pic!
Later, I am going to hook up both my Align and my Pro EQ! (Pro EQ is a DI as well and has a 'smooth' knob I like with the M80.

BluesKing777.
Yo Bk,

* Here are the general EQ settings I use and start with then I tweak as needed per the venue...the 1.6k mids is the one I tend to decrease more depending on the situation as well as increase the 10k to add some presence and air.

** Of course the HPF, phase, and Volume are adjusted accordingly while the Gain stays at zero since I use the M80 inactive mode and use my Loudbox to adjust gain. Also the notch filter stays around 3 o'clock most times unless I have a stubborn frequency that the phase and EQ don't zap.

*** These settings may not work as well for an OM or say a rosewood guitar where the OM may be more midrangy or a rosewood dread may be more boomy and bright...thus I would adjust accordingly with my ears not my eyes!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61+.JPG (115.6 KB, 67 views)
Old 09-18-2018, 08:00 PM

Thanks Eric!

Good photo - I will try that later.

The Baggs soundhole pickups are pretty straightforward to eq with the Align. Doug mentioned using his in the effects loop of his Tonedexter, so I tried that with my 35 Gibson archtop......biggest challenge in my collection...and it is quite tricky. Worked in the loop though.

Both Baggs soundholes sound great with th Align. And both have the 1 and 2 poles removed, thanks again, Eric. And a friend now has missing teeth on his pickup too..... I played my Waterloo WL-14L with the M80 and my Fishman Pro EQ plugged direct to his new PA (A & H mixer and JBL powered speakers) and it sounded fantastic, and he was not happy with his M1 in the same rig.....I had to spill the beans. Take out the pole, can't work like that, you're mad and worse....them....Oh, that is great. Aha! etc...

BluesKing777.

Last edited by BluesKing777; 09-18-2018 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:22 PM

I did a quick test track (my version of some Dave Hamburger riffs) with the M1A in my Waterloo WL-14L - first part is with your settings above, Eric. I like it - very 'glassy'.
The next part I played the same but with my Fishman Pro EQ. (ole Dusty

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/m1aalign777a

BluesKing777.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:29 PM

Very nice clean picking there. Enjoyed it a lot. The Align sounds better with more depth and warmth. The Platinum sounded thin and too much treble.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification