The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-22-2018, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Considering these 3 Alvarez grand auditorium models. Have tried some Alvarez guitars locally and was impressed with all of them but didn't care for the models they had in stock. Anyone try any of these three?

AG60CEAR
AG70CEAR
AG75CE

The 75 has a Cedar top, which is quite different from the spruce top of the others. The 70 has rosewood b/s while the 60 has hog b/s. I am leaning towards the 70CEAR. I am also intrigued with this beveled edge thing. All reports say it's nice and comfortable on the arm.
That armrest on the CEAR is very comfy, though! I'm hoping to take another look this weekend! Washburn also has come armrest models out at the same pricepoint that look nice at first glance.

Last edited by personatech; 03-22-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:45 AM

I used to own two Alvarez guitars - the ABT60 baritone and the Masterworks MP70. Alvarez make fine guitars but be very careful as they typically have a lot of quality control lapses. Good that you’re actually playing them before buying as there can be a huge difference between guitars of the the same model.

My MP70 was beautiful and had a lovely bell like sound, but also had some intonation issues that led me to sell it. But if you’re looking at Alvarez models with lam back and sides you get a lot of guitar for the money.

If you want an all solid wood acoustic you would be better off getting an Eastman instead of Alvarez. Better guitar and very good quality control. Just my two cents. 😎

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion