The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-09-2014, 11:37 AM

Default Looking for Acoustic Amp Recommendations

Hey all
It's been a while since I posted, but I've just managed to reset passwords etc. phew! - it's good to be back

I have been gathering funds for an acoustic amp for my Taylor, I also use the SLG as a back up. I currently play through a Stagepass 400i alongside a Kurzweil (i think that's how you spell it) keyboard, a Roland Drum kit and 4 SM58 vocal mics.
I am wanting to get an acoustic amp that will act as a stage monitor for my guitar and vocal, with a line out to the PA, and one which I can use as a stand alone for myself when practicing and for smaller venues.
I also have a problem with my back, so I want something reasonably portable!

I have been looking at the Roland AC-40 and AC-60, are they any good? Are there any alternatives?

The AC-60 is about the top end of my budget (max £450)
Hofner Congress
Yamaha SLG100S
Squier ProTone Telecaster
Squier Jazzmaster Bass
Yamaha F310
Old 10-09-2014, 12:00 PM

I use my Roland AC-33 for gigs and practice, as you've described. It also runs on 8 AA NiMH batteries for remote venues where AC power is not available. It also has a built in 40 second looper. Some of my friends use the Fishman Loudbox Mini, which would also fill the ticket. Ric

Old 10-11-2014, 07:19 PM

Have a look at the TC Helicon voicesolo fx150 its a small powered PA. I have a similar set up to you (stagepas 600i and SM58 for vocals) I use the Voicesolo as a monitor and also as a practice PA around the house. At 150 watts it was also do small venues or when music is just required in the background. It also has built in vocal processing, several reverb options etc. It's very versatile and excellent value for money at £200 (plus it's very portable)

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 10-12-2014, 04:02 PM

Plus one for the Roland AC33. Especialy for your needs. Can even go without a chord as it runs on AA batteries for 8-9 hours. very small, good sound and works great in the home or studio. 2x6 30 watts total w/looper.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

I have both Fishman Loudbox Artist and Mini...both excellent and imho, think the Mini would do nicely for your application; a lot of clear, uncolored power in a small, lightweight pkg and easy to dial in a nice eq for both guitar and vox!
Old 10-14-2014, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by therichardsgang View Post
Hey all
It's been a while since I posted, but I've just managed to reset passwords etc. phew! - it's good to be back

I have been gathering funds for an acoustic amp for my Taylor, I also use the SLG as a back up. I currently play through a Stagepass 400i alongside a Kurzweil (i think that's how you spell it) keyboard, a Roland Drum kit and 4 SM58 vocal mics.
I am wanting to get an acoustic amp that will act as a stage monitor for my guitar and vocal, with a line out to the PA, and one which I can use as a stand alone for myself when practicing and for smaller venues.
I also have a problem with my back, so I want something reasonably portable!

I have been looking at the Roland AC-40 and AC-60, are they any good? Are there any alternatives?

The AC-60 is about the top end of my budget (max £450)
Hi therichardetc...

The UltraSound AG-50 (DS-4) is 26 pounds (weight) and has more power than one can utilize (you will reach feedback long before distortion). I use mine for a mini PA often.

However on stage I still recommend to people that they feed the PA from the same DI they feed their amp from, so the amp can be adjust separately from the PA. Sound techs don't like us to change our amp thereby changing the house sound.

If they work from the same basic 'image' as we do (one send to the house another to the amp) they can set the house and leave it alone (which I wish more techs would learn to do).

UltraSound AG-50 from Djangobooks dot com still has the best price - . Last night (Oct 13, 2014) there was a DS-4 in the classifieds for ⅓ your budget, but not sure he'll ship overseas.

Djangobooks going price is under $400 (£250).

Another amazing choice is the AER Compact 60, which will certainly be at the top end of your budget, but the little brother the AER Alpha is usually £50-100 less.

Not only do they sound amazing, they are very light weight. First time I saw one (being used to larger amps) I thought it was a 'toy'...till I heard it.

The Compact 40 (Alpha) weighs 14 pounds, the Compact 60 still well under 30 pounds. They only have a single 8" woofer plus high frequency driver, whereas the UltraSound has a pair of 8" coaxial speakers.

You would not go wrong with either.

The biggest challenge when using them as a PA is to get them up into the air (as one would a PA system). There is a reason PA systems are not set on the floor (except for the sub-woofer). Sound needs to project, reflect off walls, and then fall into the room. Hard to do from floor level.

I set small amps up on an X-stand (keyboard stand) about 3-5 feet behind me and they work really well then as my monitor and a mini-PA.

[/size]

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-17-2014, 07:08 AM

I recently purchased the Acoustic A20, works great as a small PA.(under $130)
I use it in combination with a Fishman Loudbox Artist.
Using both in combination;
I use my loops and my Guitar through the Loudbox Artist
I'm running vocals and 5 string banjo through the Acoustic A20.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat

Last edited by Finger Stylish; 10-17-2014 at 07:14 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:26 PM

Thumbs up

Look for a SWR Strawberry Blonde or a California Blonde. Best acoustic amps I ever played through.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:54 AM

Try the Ibanez T series, I use the previous 35 W version and am very fond of. Compact enough, good fx, very very good sounding.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:34 AM

Here is a recent review/roundup of some amps to consider ...

http://www.musicradar.com/news/acous...cians-602531/8

Very underated are the Ashdown Radiator amps. I have the Radiator 2 and it competes on sound quality with my AER Compact 60. For many things it sounds better due to a warmer yet crystal clear sound. It is one of the few acoustic amps with a tube preamp which gives a nice intimate sound which is great for smaller venues. The Radiator 1 is quite small and sounds just as good ... not made anymore but I often see them second hand. Worth an audition anyway.

Here are some more amps looked at...

http://ashdownmusic.com/files/news/f...ousticaar1.pdf

There is so much out there these days. Good luck.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:39 AM

Bose Compact? Great little PA which reproduces guitars beautifully! A bit more cost but more flexibility if you play live.
Martin J40
Old 10-18-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Howell View Post
Bose Compact? Great little PA which reproduces guitars beautifully! A bit more cost but more flexibility if you play live.
I've tried many different PAs out there now and I liked the Bose line arrays.
I still think they're overpriced but you do see them occasionally used for a good price. The Fishman amps on a pole that kind of resemble the smaller Bose is pretty decent and light. Most of new stuff out there now is plastic and light including the PA heads. I hate to generalize but I think any of the smaller PA stuff now would be better than a dedicated acoustic amp. Others may disagree with me but I've yet yet to hear any of the current amps that are worth the money. I would especially stay away from anything with Piezo tweeters.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:58 AM

You do have to remember with the Compact you need a mixer or tonematch - another £400. Expensive yes but over priced I don't know as they are so versatile. If you need a PA then they are worth considering but if not there are a lot of reasonable acoustic amps around.
Martin J40
Old 10-30-2014, 04:50 PM

I use a powered PA speaker (EV SX-100a) for solo gigs when space is limited - clear and clean sound with two inputs easily used for guitar/vocal. Add a second SX-100a and a passive board you have a fine mid-powered PA too. You can find them on Ebay at around $300 +/- used if you keep an eye out.

I don't use any effects and this speaker doesn't come with any so it's a perfect fit for me. The one down side is there is no phantom power for my K&K PureXLR preamp. Sounds fine on batteries, just a little better on phantom, to my ear.

Good luck in your search.

I love acoustic guitars !
Old 10-30-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Howell View Post
You do have to remember with the Compact you need a mixer or tonematch - another £400. Expensive yes but over priced I don't know as they are so versatile. If you need a PA then they are worth considering but if not there are a lot of reasonable acoustic amps around.
You only need a mixer for duos and trios, and I've used it for vocals in a full band. But for solo, just plug in your guitar and mic and play. Plus you don't have to set up the full tower. Don't set up the tower and use it for an acoustic amp.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification