The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-20-2018, 03:47 AM

Default If X Isn't Loud Enough, Does Y Even Matter ?

I have a Carvin AG100D. I have fallen out of love with it. It was always just adequate, very handy rig, but not really a stellar acoustic sound. I've used it as a mini p.a., acoustic amp, monitor, it also has a 3rd channel that's a decent small bass amp with a 12 / 100 watts, and has been quite dependable.

In my search and re-search I've ran into the little Bose S1-Pro a LOT on this Forum. Looks like about 80%+ of people just LOVE the little guy.

FOR WHAT IT IS.

I haven't been able to demo one, living in a rural area. I might make a day trip to Nashville someday if a dealer there has them available to try out.

But it got me thinking.

One bar that me and a guy played a few times is just loud. Probably under a hundred people. We took a full p.a. with monitors and it was still pretty much a clusterpluck of noise for several hours.

If those people were listening, a couple of S1's, or 2 of my little Carvins, or a couple Fishman Mini's would have filled that small room. But if they are NOT listening, just drinking and being rowdy and stuff, a thousand watts with 15's and horns STILL won't overcome the noise because the noise will just compete. I remember playing the Bluebird Café once and the signs that said "SHHHHH" "Be Quiet" and stuff. THOSE people heard you just fine.

Some places simply won't work for an acoustic show.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 09-20-2018, 04:43 AM

You can't get away from it. Some venues are ju
loud. Sometimes it's just the room. Hard walled
big open spaces just reflect the noise.
Sometimes it's the crowd that is there to just
socialize. Your background. The louder you turn
up the louder they shout at each other.
as for amps ., the aer compact 60 gets
a lot of love. as does the fishmen loudbox.
The aer is probably a better bet for loud
spaces. but like a V8 there is no replacement
for displacement. A big pa is you best bet.
There is no marshall stack for acoustics.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:53 AM

It's simple - if it's a NOISY place, you're just adding to the noise (at any volume level).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 09-20-2018, 08:35 AM

Somewhat related:

Two of the places I used to play in Gainesville Florida added acoustic panel treatments to their ceilings: first one, then the other. I expected it to make a subtle difference, but holy cow, it was incredible!

In both cases, the room went from being a loud environment with everyone shouting over each other and the music to being decent listening environments overnight!

I believe the second place did the acoustic treatment because they heard what a difference it made in the other place.

I’m still processing this because it was so recent, but in either room the S1 would be plenty of coverage since the treatment, but may not have been before.

The difference the treatment made (some sort of specially designed hung ceiling panels) was stunning. Now you walk in, have regular voice conversations and listen to the acoustic music pleasantly. It used to be so freaking loud! The same patrons, the same musicians, the same everything but the acoustics!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification