The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-24-2018, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Vindibona wrote:

Those screws are used during assembly to position the bridge correctly and to act as clamps as the glue dries. Gibson used them in a number of their acoustic guitar models, mostly but not entirely on cheaper models.

Perhaps we’ll get lucky and one of the serious Gibson guys like “zombywoof” or “J-185-4me” will see this thread and provide us with more precise information than I can, but it seems to me that Gibson used bolts to hold the bridges on from sometime in the 1950’s through much of the 1960’s. It would make sense that they’d use the same construction method on Epiphones, as well, since that’s their budget brand.

It’s not only Gibson/Epiphone that used bolts to hold their bridges on; I’m pretty sure Harmony and Kay did it on some models, and Gallagher guitars (which are not cheapos but professional quality instruments) use that design to this day. It does have an impact on the tone, bringing out more treble response and sustain, which can be beneficial for some guitar models.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Wade,

I think he's asking about the saddle adjusting screws.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, epiphone, guitar, stolen