The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-07-2023, 03:07 AM

If you can try them, I would buy the one you like the most in sound and the one that seems most comfortable to you.
In my experience, of the guitars I've had that you can see below, the Martin OM-18e was the only one that gave me problems and that I sold quickly, so for me, the fact that it is built in the USA does not It is no guarantee.
My best guitars right now are European, but that's just my opinion.

2023 Loef 00 13 fret
2018 Loef Dread SS 12 fret
1972 Yamaha FG-75 Red Label
2017 Kremona Romida rd-c
Old 11-07-2023, 10:46 AM

I ve had 3 Martins and still have 1 and 3 Eastmans and still have 2. And I have played dozens of each.
While Martins usually have more punch in the low midrange and Eastmans more chime and bell like highs, both can really vary, guitars of the same model can vary.
I ve played Martins with airy highs ( i actually own one) and Eastmans with big low end ( I own one as well).

Btw the original poster is not from the States, suggestions based on economic patriotism are funny. It ll be an import for him (or me), either way.
Old 11-07-2023, 10:55 AM

Same here - Beijing and Nazareth, PA are almost the same distance from where I live. Couldn't care less whether a guitar was made in the US or not...
Old 11-07-2023, 11:17 AM

What kind of music do you play? What style? What/who do you listen to? Do you have any ergonomic preferences or limitations?

The Martin/Eastman question in a vacuum is way too abstract to have an answer beyond "I have X and like it." The obvious objective response is that an Eastman is going to cost less than its Martin equvalent. Everything else is a matter of the player's ears, hands, and budget. (And this is before we get to the fact that individual instruments from the same builder can vary in "quality.")

And FWIW, two of my former playing partners got terrific results from mid-budget Seagull dreads. Go figure.
Old 11-07-2023, 11:48 AM

I have often said that an Eastman is a very good option if you don't need to have "that" name on the headstock. I have been duly impressed by all of them that I have tried, especially considering the price. I'd be happy to own one.

Full disclosure, I am two-for-four on needing neck resets on new or newish Martin guitars, each requiring a fight to get warranty coverage. And I have never heard about the binding coming unglued on an Eastman.
Old 11-07-2023, 11:55 AM

I have 5 Martins and 13 Eastmans. I like both. I haven't had a single fit or finish issue with any of the Eastmans. Same is true for the Martins (and I even have one from the binding separation era, but so far no issues for me).

If you are looking at buying new, your price point pretty much limits you to the Streetmaster series and the all mahogany series for American made Martins. There are, of course, less expensive Indonesian Martin guitars. If you are considering used, there are some other Martins that could pop up in your price range.

Personally, for the price range you are looking at, I would probably go Eastman out of those two options. Larrivee, as mentioned, also makes great guitars. However, for your price range, you can get pretty far into the Eastman lineup. For Larrivee it basically gets you into the lowest model tier (new pricing). However, their most inexpensive models are still really good players (if a little plain in appearance).
Old 11-07-2023, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

In my experience over the years, bass response from a guitar costs more money. Martin guitars have more depth of tone, more bass, while Eastman guitars tend to sound thinner. There are exceptions, of course, always.

Your best bet is to get out to a bunch of good guitar stores and try out different models to see what you like. A lot of people don't like bass. I do. You need to find out what you like.

- Glenn
Old 11-07-2023, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Martin or Eastman? Why not both? I currently own 2 Martin guitars and 1 Eastman. Which brand I would choose if I had to would depend on what I was looking for in terms whether I wanted a fingerpicking or flat picking guitar but if I was on a constrained budget my choice is obviously Eastman.
Old 11-07-2023, 12:36 PM

Get a Martin. Even if you get a great Eastman that you really like, you’ll still wish you had a Martin.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 11-07-2023, 12:37 PM

Default Don't forget Taylor, Larrivee

You're in a sweet budget range for a fine guitar. Unless you've decided you don't like the sound, consider trying a Taylor. You'll be getting the best quality of mass construction available - fully equal to Martin. Taylors are not handmade in this price range, but nothing else is either. Larrivees are also exceptional instruments in this price range. Eastman is impressive, but it's not Taylor and it's not Martin.

I'll echo some of the other advice on this thread: try lots of different guitars. One will speak to you sooner or later.
Gold Tone open back banjo
Anon. mountain dulcimer
Creaky old Framus 5/1 50
About 1/2 of Guitar One completed; currently intimidating me on account of the neck geometry.
Stacks of mahogany, spruce, maritime rosewood, western red cedar
Expensive sawdust

Old 11-07-2023, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaffeinatedOne View Post
You're in a sweet budget range for a fine guitar. Unless you've decided you don't like the sound, consider trying a Taylor. You'll be getting the best quality of mass construction available - fully equal to Martin. Taylors are not handmade in this price range, but nothing else is either. Larrivees are also exceptional instruments in this price range. Eastman is impressive, but it's not Taylor and it's not Martin.

I'll echo some of the other advice on this thread: try lots of different guitars. One will speak to you sooner or later.
I would disagree, to an extent. Yes, the best Taylor and Martin have to offer are better than the best Eastman has to offer. However, OP said upper limit was 2200 CAD. That's $1600 USD. Maybe prices are cheaper in Canada (doubt it), but at that price range, I don't think Taylor or Martin compare in quality and features to Eastman.

You can't get a Streetmaster new for that price without a discount. And for Taylor, it's a 214. Eastman that gets you at least through the 10 series of any Martin style guitar or the AC522 in the Taylor style. For Larrivee, it's basically just the Simple 6 line. They are very well built, but nothing fancy.

Used opens up some possibilities. But new, in the specified price range, I don't think the other three really compare.
Old 11-07-2023, 01:16 PM

Martin is the way to go. It will make you a believer. There are other fine guitars, but they're not Martins.
Old 11-07-2023, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvc View Post
Hello,

Considering buying an acoustic guitar priced within 1,800-2,200 CAD. Looking for good quality, tone, and value for price.

Which of the 2 brands, Martin or Eastman, would be recommended? Any models in particular worth looking into?

Thanks!
Not an easy one since you do not say how you wish to play it : Stumming vs fingerpicking ?

Did you think about buying used ?

I love my entry level Eastman AC122ce as well as my Martin OOO-18.
Old 11-07-2023, 02:08 PM

I was in a well stocked store last week with the hopeful intention of finding an exceptional D-18. Thought I had found the one until I played an Eastman OM size they had hanging on the wall. It was almost as loud as the Martins I tried and sounded quite a bit nicer. I left the store confused and no new D-18.
Old 11-07-2023, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Order a Halcyon and be patient or find a used one. I think you'd be happier than with either the Martin you could afford or an Eastman.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic guitar, choosing a guitar, eastman, martin