The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-16-2019, 09:15 AM

I live in Deep East Texas likely not far from where you are. I have never worried about LOW humidity. Currently it is 45 degrees with an 85% RH outside. My house has gas central heat but was built in 1968. The windows are single pane, the doors do not seal very tightly, and we have a dog door (flap type) cut through the back door. Indoor RH rarely drops below 45%. It is often much higher.

I do keep my guitars in cases but right next to the chair I sit in to play.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 01-16-2019, 09:39 AM

Just to put any ones fears to rest I have hanging next to me a Yamaha FG-230 12 string purchased in 1971. I knew nothing at the time about proper care of guitars. Its wall art now because of a bad neck ( after 40 years I would guess so). But the bridge, neck, top, back, sides, headstock...not one bit of cracking or peeling or anything pulling up. It has never been humidified, been left out in 95 degree cars, in cold garages in winter...no issues at all.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
Just to put any ones fears to rest I have hanging next to me a Yamaha FG-230 12 string purchased in 1971. I knew nothing at the time about proper care of guitars. Its wall art now because of a bad neck ( after 40 years I would guess so). But the bridge, neck, top, back, sides, headstock...not one bit of cracking or peeling or anything pulling up. It has never been humidified, been left out in 95 degree cars, in cold garages in winter...no issues at all.
Yes but it has laminate back and sides. Try that with an all wood guitar.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:10 AM

So how many days of low humidity would you have to have before it would affect the wood? A couple of says, a week, a month? Am I being too worrried end it dips to the low 30s for three or four days?
Old 01-16-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMusic View Post
North Louisiana, about like east Texas, house with central heat and a/c. About 200 miles inland from Gulf of Mexico. And about 200 miles east of Dallas, but it's more humid. Humidity runs pretty high here. It rarely gets below 40%, even in summer. I have *never* used a humidifier, lol, so, why am I asking? I dunno, just curious. I do have a Guild F50R that I found had a 3 inch crack in the waist and I have no idea how/why/when that happened. I have never bumped it. Still plays fine but I will get it repaired.

If a humidifier is 'necessary,' what is recommended?
The humidifier question has been answered, but I will answer something else. Was the crack on the top by the pickguard? Might simply be from a shrinking pickguard. (My old F-50 acquired one) In in the side of the waist on the bottom side, it might be a key crack from the side resting on something in your pocket.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion