The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-13-2024, 12:13 PM

Default Soundboard crack, home repair that is least going to be an issue long term

Hi, I bought a discounted, soundboard needs repair due to a crack acoustic, pic of the crack is here https://imgur.com/a/8REZQJI

It is going to be a beater guitar, outside a lot, so what I want to do is a home repair and play it a while but not mess it up if I want to fix it nice later on.

I was thinking I could shape a thin narrow brace and glue it along behind the crack and therefore not change the top appearance at all but give it no chance to get worse due to beach humidity or heat or whatever. Then at at least if someone good wants to redo the top, I have not messed it up.

Is that a good strategy?

Thanks!
Old 02-13-2024, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

By appearance, I say that is a finish-only crack, not a crack through the wood.

The finish needs a minor touch-up.

Get a bottle of ultra low viscosity CA glue, it will wick into the crack s very nicley.

Look up a video from StewMac on drop filling finish chips with CA glue to see the technique.

You can do this pretty nicely for the cost of a bottle of glue a couple razor blades and several sheets of polishing sandpaper and then polishing compound (get these at your auto parts store).

list of materials

- single edge razor blades ($5)
- scotch tape ($2)
- 1000, 3000, 5000 sandpaper (preferably flexible) ($20)
- macguires polish and swirl remover ($10)
- drill polishing/buffing kit from Harbor freight ($10)

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-13-2024, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
By appearance, I say that is a finish-only crack, not a crack through the wood.
Thanks F! I have all that, not the glue, but I work on cars and if I learned anything, it is this: I am not a body man. I have never repaired anything the eye can see well, so when I saw this, I knew, don't touch the visible parts.

Thanks again, might give it a go but I have read that a bad repair is near impossible to turn into a good repair by an actual craftsman later.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair