The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-23-2014, 01:54 AM

Default Add pickup to no hole flat top?

Have a Walden baritone flat top with small round hole left of fret board end. So no conventional sound hole pup. Perhaps an internal mount condenser mic ?
Cut hole in top for a low profile mag pup? artb
Old 04-23-2014, 12:20 PM

I would look at the contact pickups like JJB for outside the guitar or the Schertler DYN-G. Both offer stick on application without any mods to the guitar, The JJB, similar to K&K has more than one contact which is nice. You could place one on the bridge and the other somewhere on the body that you can experiment with and find the sweet spot.
HUGE diff in price so take a look.
davidc
Old 04-24-2014, 08:52 AM

Good suggestions; thanks. My inclination was for internal condenser mic which I thought superior sounding. My little experience with surface contact types was thin sounding and spurious sound sensitvity, however those you suggest are better ?
Old 04-24-2014, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artb View Post
Good suggestions; thanks. My inclination was for internal condenser mic which I thought superior sounding. My little experience with surface contact types was thin sounding and spurious sound sensitvity, however those you suggest are better ?
Hi artb...

I have found the most success by combining a soundboard transducer (K&K mini) with an internal K&K mic, and then using a 2 channel external preamp/blender (which supplies phantom power to the internal microphone).

This dual source approach has provided the most flexible and natural tone of anything I've used, consistently from venue to venue and in all sorts of systems (amps, particularly different PA systems).

It is also the least invasive of the high end solutions. Simple ¼" endpin & TRS (stereo) cable connects it all.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-24-2014, 09:24 AM

A friend of mine had an L.R. Baggs Lyric mic installed in a standard scale guitar with this type soundhole, and it sounds good.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:34 PM

I thought the problem was access inside the guitar. Putting in any pickups would be a real challenge.
The contact pickups I mentioned are excellent.
daviidc
Old 04-25-2014, 12:09 AM

thanks to all for the well described advice. Will try first the simple contact p1ckup. art b.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification