The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-07-2016, 08:56 AM

Default How to: Sound check?

Okay, a week to go before my first gig. Now, I'm pining over the sound check.

I'll be plugging into my LR Baggs Para DI, and right into the DJ's powered speaker (below).

So, I'm sure I have the physical connections right. Guitar > DI > Mic 1 or 2 XLR. SM 58 straight into Mic 1 or 2 XLR. I plan on leaving the equalizer flat since I'm using a preamp. I'll set the master just below clipping (?) and then set my mic gains accordingly.

My question is, how would you go about doing a sound check alone? My wife will be with me, and she can listen as I adjust. I guess that isn't very difficult, unless there's some more insight y'all can give me.

My main worry is that I don't know what to play for a sound check.

What do you all play during a sound check? A song? Check one, check two? The audience may be in attendance... Just wing it? I would like to complete the sound check well before the event, but that all depends on if the DJ gives me PA access early enough.

Thanks!

Old 10-07-2016, 09:11 AM

Your options are severely limited by the lack of an actual audio console in the signal chain. Other than the notch filters on your Baggs, any EQ or processing available to you is at a very gross level and adjustments at such a level throw the baby out with the bath water in that the "corrections" are so wide as to severely alter the overall sound/tone when trying to address frequency specific issues like feedback.

You're sort of "looking up at the bottom rung of the ladder" in a technical sense here...sorry to say.

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
Your options are severely limited by the lack of an actual audio console in the signal chain. Other than the notch filters on your Baggs, any EQ or processing available to you is at a very gross level and adjustments at such a level throw the baby out with the bath water in that the "corrections" are so wide as to severely alter the overall sound/tone when trying to address frequency specific issues like feedback.

You're sort of "looking up at the bottom rung of the ladder" in a technical sense here...sorry to say.
I see what you're saying. However, I'm more concerned about gain levels for each instrument and the substance of what I'll play during a sound check.

I doubt the audience is going to bemoan my lack of an audio console in the signal chain. It seems to me, in my very limited experience, that, in a pinch, this setup will work just fine. Right? Bottom line: Will it sound like complete and inaudible garbage? I say no, but I'm a beginner, so maybe you're right.

Please, don't think I don't appreciate and value what you've said, because I do, but "it is what it is," and I think that the sound quality will be just fine for what I'm doing. I do wish I had more to work with.

Thank you.

P.S. I am all for purchasing such an audio console. Would you be referring to maybe an unpowered mixer? What might you suggest for a "one man band" approach? I would like to, someday, create a rolling rig, maybe on a dolly, with everything I need on it, so maybe now is the time to look into an audio console as you say.

Last edited by tdubbed; 10-07-2016 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:11 AM

Relative levels are no problem and can be adjusted on the fly via hand signals from a cohort in the room.

The main concern is headroom: can you get enough gain before the onset of feedback? A good EQ, even a 31 band graphic would help, but going directly into the speaker kind of rules that out.

Good luck, have fun.

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
Relative levels are no problem and can be adjusted on the fly via hand signals from a cohort in the room.

The main concern is headroom: can you get enough gain before the onset of feedback? A good EQ, even a 31 band graphic would help, but going directly into the speaker kind of rules that out.

Good luck, have fun.
More research is required. I'm on it.

Thanks, man.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:39 PM

Wyllys, how long do you think a solo sound check should take? It seems like it should be a quick process.

Last edited by tdubbed; 10-07-2016 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:26 AM

It should be quick once you're used to it. You shouldn't even need to play very much - a few bars of a typical tune.

There are two aspects to consider (with both guitar and vocal): volume (overall, and relative between the two), and EQ.

Balancing the relative volume levels of guitar and vocal is something your wife should be well able to do - ie tell you (by hand signals if necessary) which one is too loud or soft. But you'll probably be fussier about the EQ - it can sound very different out front from how it sounds on stage behind the speakers. My advice would be to use a long lead and stand out in front of the speakers. Take the mic with you if you can. Either that or turn one of the speakers to face you (I mean just for the soundcheck). You can the lower the master volume if you're worried about feedback (this is just for EQ remember).
Play and sing part of a song to check the relative levels - and try and play and sing as loud as you will on stage, as close to the mic as you will be.

Even if you have a monitor on stage, don't bank on that sounding the same as the main PA. If you're lucky enough to have a monitor, set that separately - turn the main PA right down while doing so, so you only hear the monitor; and get it loud enough that you can hear yourself clearly when on stage.

Once you have a sound you like, then (in future) your wife - if her ears are good - will be able to keep that sound in mind and suggest necessary changes while you soundcheck on stage.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:36 AM

When/Where possible I put a looper in the signal path right after my guitar. I loop some strumming, finger picking, and single note stuff. Then while the loop is playing I leave the stage and listen from the audience. If there is a sound man/sound board I'll stand by him to tweak it from the board, or I may go back up to the stage and tweak any EQ I have on my gear on stage.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdubbed View Post
…My main worry is that [B]I don't know what to play for a sound check.
HI td...

I start with something average. I start with fingerstyle, and tell them this will be the volume of most of my stuff. Then I do some average strumming, and finally a bit of 'this is as loud as I will get all night'.

I ask them to not overpump the bass and ask them to mix my playing/singing so it's about 55% playing and 45% singing and I'll work the mic for volume. And I ask for no heavy reverb in the house. If the tech is too inexperienced, I may toss my looper in the chain for a minute and record about 2-3 minutes of a variety of stuff and then go out into the house and listen with the tech.

Good techs get it just fine.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-09-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
It should be quick once you're used to it. You shouldn't even need to play very much - a few bars of a typical tune.

There are two aspects to consider (with both guitar and vocal): volume (overall, and relative between the two), and EQ.

Balancing the relative volume levels of guitar and vocal is something your wife should be well able to do - ie tell you (by hand signals if necessary) which one is too loud or soft. But you'll probably be fussier about the EQ - it can sound very different out front from how it sounds on stage behind the speakers. My advice would be to use a long lead and stand out in front of the speakers. Take the mic with you if you can. Either that or turn one of the speakers to face you (I mean just for the soundcheck). You can the lower the master volume if you're worried about feedback (this is just for EQ remember).
Play and sing part of a song to check the relative levels - and try and play and sing as loud as you will on stage, as close to the mic as you will be.

Even if you have a monitor on stage, don't bank on that sounding the same as the main PA. If you're lucky enough to have a monitor, set that separately - turn the main PA right down while doing so, so you only hear the monitor; and get it loud enough that you can hear yourself clearly when on stage.

Once you have a sound you like, then (in future) your wife - if her ears are good - will be able to keep that sound in mind and suggest necessary changes while you soundcheck on stage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
When/Where possible I put a looper in the signal path right after my guitar. I loop some strumming, finger picking, and single note stuff. Then while the loop is playing I leave the stage and listen from the audience. If there is a sound man/sound board I'll stand by him to tweak it from the board, or I may go back up to the stage and tweak any EQ I have on my gear on stage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
HI td...

I start with something average. I start with fingerstyle, and tell them this will be the volume of most of my stuff. Then I do some average strumming, and finally a bit of 'this is as loud as I will get all night'.

I ask them to not overpump the bass and ask them to mix my playing/singing so it's about 55% playing and 45% singing and I'll work the mic for volume. And I ask for no heavy reverb in the house. If the tech is too inexperienced, I may toss my looper in the chain for a minute and record about 2-3 minutes of a variety of stuff and then go out into the house and listen with the tech.

Good techs get it just fine.

Awesome advice guys. You're really easing my anxiety over this matter. I think it's just the newness of it all that makes me anxious (obviously). I think that after this first gig, I'll be less anxious in the future because I'll have had some experience with the whole thing.

Thanks a lot!
Old 10-09-2016, 02:24 PM

I went to see a mate's band in a pub a couple of years ago. Like me they are in their fifties but do a great job of 1970s rock music covers.

One time their new guitarist said "let's do the sound check". A load of people started to get up and leave the pub while they sound checked. The pub owner was furious! He said next time you do that will be your last.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 10-10-2016, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Neat tip!
Old 10-10-2016, 07:41 AM
Guest4562

I use a looper and play something that includes highs, lows, hard and soft - doesn't have to be a song. Then I let the looper run and go across the room to listen, make adjustments as needed.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulp1960 View Post
I went to see a mate's band in a pub a couple of years ago. Like me they are in their fifties but do a great job of 1970s rock music covers.

One time their new guitarist said "let's do the sound check". A load of people started to get up and leave the pub while they sound checked. The pub owner was furious! He said next time you do that will be your last.
what did the new guitarist do?
Old 10-11-2016, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
I use a looper and play something that includes highs, lows, hard and soft - doesn't have to be a song. Then I let the looper run and go across the room to listen, make adjustments as needed.
I can see just how beneficial a looper can be, not only for sound checks, but adding versatility to a soloist.

I'm completely new to the acoustic amplification game, but I can forsee myself using a looper once I figure out some of these other effects (reverb, delay). It seems like the world of guitar effects has its own version of GAS (EAS?).

Cool stuff.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write