The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-10-2019, 05:21 PM

Default Fiberglass Nail Wrap

James Taylor uses 6 layers of wrap covering most of the nail and extending beyond the end of the natural nail to create a fake nail.

I’ve been using a modified, more practical and simple take and it’s worked out great. Basically, I use 2 or 3 layers of the wrap only on the tips of my nails and cut it flush so that it’s not creating a new, fake nail, but just reinforcing my existing nail.

I cut a strip of the wrap. On one side I cut a crescent shape so it covers the curve of the white part of the end of my nail. I layer two or three times, then dab nail glue to secure it. Let it dry, then file lightly to clean it up. Usually lasts for a week or two before it begins to loosen or peel.

No ripped nails for the past six weeks and tone is improved! Would like to hear from others on what you are using. This works best for me as I don’t like the feeling of tight finger picks...
Old 11-10-2019, 05:41 PM

I just use my natural nails. It’s important to keep them fairly short, just enough to catch the string, especially the index and middle fingers - that way they don’t break (for me anyway).

Old 11-10-2019, 05:45 PM

I use the JT method for repairs but use my natural nails when available. Alaska picks work well, also, when a prosthetic nail is needed.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 11-10-2019, 08:25 PM

I use multiple coats of Mavala Nail Shield. I keep touching up with it after playing. My index fingernail needs the most attention due to more contact with wound strings.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:35 PM

I tried wraps, but they don't stay stuck (my hands are in water a lot). Also when they do come off, they weaken my nails which are thin already.

I used poly gel (a cross between acrylic and gel) for about a year... over 3.4 of my nail. Touched up once a month. I love these... but over time, it caused my nails to start to lift from the nail bed. Not so good.

So back to natural nails, which I keep fairly short (otherwise several tend to hook). Occasionally I break or tear a nail and use a temporary stick-on nail (with an adhesive pad, not nail glue).

I play mostly classical.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlr1122 View Post
I’ve been using a modified, more practical and simple take and it’s worked out great. Basically, I use 2 or 3 layers of the wrap only on the tips of my nails and cut it flush so that it’s not creating a new, fake nail, but just reinforcing my existing nail.
Yes this is a standard way of repairing a broken nail or simply reinforcing what you have. Savarez have been selling this in kit form for classical guitarists for decades.

Whilst the tone is great as you say, my main problem with this method is that the wraps can break off in bits, often taking a chunk of nail with them when they do, leaving the nail that's left behind paper thin. For me this starts sometimes within a couple of days of application. You cannot superglue anything to a nail and not cause some damage.

Obviously you then have to repair the gap and soon end up with a patchwork of little repairs and over time, slowly destroying the nail underneath. For one off repairs - to hold a broken nail in place - it can be worth the risk but I just don't see how people can use this method in the long term.

I wash my hands a lot as I am the one looking after a family, preparing food etc and this may be part of the problem, I can't use rubber gloves for everything.

I'd be really interested to hear from anyone who has used this approach successfully in the long term.

"The way nature seems to work is that it sends a messenger...the acoustic guitar needed to go in another direction, Michael Hedges became that messenger"
Tommy Emmanuel
Old 11-11-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood View Post
Yes this is a standard way of repairing a broken nail or simply reinforcing what you have. Savarez have been selling this in kit form for classical guitarists for decades.

Whilst the tone is great as you say, my main problem with this method is that the wraps can break off in bits, often taking a chunk of nail with them when they do, leaving the nail that's left behind paper thin. For me this starts sometimes within a couple of days of application. You cannot superglue anything to a nail and not cause some damage.

Obviously you then have to repair the gap and soon end up with a patchwork of little repairs and over time, slowly destroying the nail underneath. For one off repairs - to hold a broken nail in place - it can be worth the risk but I just don't see how people can use this method in the long term.

I wash my hands a lot as I am the one looking after a family, preparing food etc and this may be part of the problem, I can't use rubber gloves for everything.

I'd be really interested to hear from anyone who has used this approach successfully in the long term.

Thanks Jon. I’ve been doing this for a very short amount of time. I had no idea I was weakening the nail underneath.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfreydaniel View Post
I use multiple coats of Mavala Nail Shield. I keep touching up with it after playing. My index fingernail needs the most attention due to more contact with wound strings.

Worth a try. Do you find it weakens your nail over time?
Old 11-11-2019, 06:41 PM

I tried a whole bunch of liquid products that did nothing to keep my nails from breaking, then i went to Rico nails and that took care of the problem, then I started buying the products locally. Ive stopped that and found that just brushing my nails with a nail brush kept them from breaking. It doesnt make sense and maybe it just works for me but there it is. Bye the way it wasnt immediately, it took some time.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlr1122 View Post
Worth a try. Do you find it weakens your nail over time?
No. I only use it on the ends of the nails, and have never noticed any issues with my nails. You do have to use multiple coats. After about three weeks or so there’s usually some chipping, so I clean it off and start applying again. I first heard about it on a classical guitar forum.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:28 AM

My nails are in good shape but I use a couple of coats of Sally Hansen Diamond Strength Hardener (Clear) only on the part of the nail that is overhanging.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:01 AM

About a year ago I tried doing what the OP has described, custom fiberglass nail wraps using a nail gel (superglue product) as seen on the James Taylor video. It was bliss for first few months, then it was obvious the wraps were not working like at first and I could only get a few days of playtime instead of the few weeks I had at first. I was having to redo my nails before every gig and still worry about them coming off mid gig,.... which they did do. I figured out the nail gel was slowly destroying my nails making them brittle, thin and prone to delaminations and splits. I stopped using it last april and for last half year have been slowly regaining my nails back to their normal state where they were before using the destructive nail gels. I have since learned about how none of these products have any regulations and the cosmetic industry is still using regulation from the 1920's. I say it is a bite of the poison apple, good at first, then you are an addict that needs more and more for same high.

I now try and keep my nails shorter and am using the more expensive finer buffing/polishing nail files you can find at a salon or drug store for about $3. Seems like some work to keep the nails smooth and well shapped helps to avoid splits and broken nails. I find using a well fitting thumbpick, I like the fred Kelly orange speed pick, has really helped as well. I have changed my playing style so now my weak nails are not as problematic as before when I had no thumbpick. I think the thumbpick takes most the abuse when I need to dig in and I use my fingers for lighter melody work and try to use a more delicate fingerstyle approach.

To each their own, but I wish I never exposed my nails to the nail gels.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:37 AM

One thing I forgot to mention regarding Mavala Nail Shield - it comes as a two- part product. I only use part 1, which has nylon fibers in it and it’s opaque. The second part has a color to it, and is really for prepping nails before applying a true nail polish, which is obviously not what we’re talking about here.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmars View Post
About a year ago I tried doing what the OP has described, custom fiberglass nail wraps using a nail gel (superglue product) as seen on the James Taylor video. It was bliss for first few months, then it was obvious the wraps were not working like at first and I could only get a few days of playtime instead of the few weeks I had at first. I was having to redo my nails before every gig and still worry about them coming off mid gig,.... which they did do. I figured out the nail gel was slowly destroying my nails making them brittle, thin and prone to delaminations and splits. I stopped using it last april and for last half year have been slowly regaining my nails back to their normal state where they were before using the destructive nail gels. I have since learned about how none of these products have any regulations and the cosmetic industry is still using regulation from the 1920's. I say it is a bite of the poison apple, good at first, then you are an addict that needs more and more for same high.

I now try and keep my nails shorter and am using the more expensive finer buffing/polishing nail files you can find at a salon or drug store for about $3. Seems like some work to keep the nails smooth and well shapped helps to avoid splits and broken nails. I find using a well fitting thumbpick, I like the fred Kelly orange speed pick, has really helped as well. I have changed my playing style so now my weak nails are not as problematic as before when I had no thumbpick. I think the thumbpick takes most the abuse when I need to dig in and I use my fingers for lighter melody work and try to use a more delicate fingerstyle approach.

To each their own, but I wish I never exposed my nails to the nail gels.
Thanks for the info. Good to know
Old 11-13-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfreydaniel View Post
One thing I forgot to mention regarding Mavala Nail Shield - it comes as a two- part product. I only use part 1, which has nylon fibers in it and it’s opaque. The second part has a color to it, and is really for prepping nails before applying a true nail polish, which is obviously not what we’re talking about here.

Thanks, going to try this today...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion