The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-12-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlcox View Post
.....I just might have a friend coming to visit from the US for thanksgiving. Maybe I can ship the guitar to him and have him bring it over for me.
That would be better. The other scenarios are so fraught with risk that I would have to REALLY want something to take the chance. Or perhaps plan a US vacation for yourself and pick it up directly from the seller, if it is really that special. Just thinking out loud here.

I recently sold an electric travel guitar to someone currently in France. He had me ship it to his friend in Arizona who was moving back from the US at the end of a work contract. I got paid up front via Paypal, and then tracked it to his friend's house to verify delivery there. It was moved overseas as part of household goods. But that was a $300 transaction, not a $4000 deal.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:40 PM

Apart from shipping and insurance costs, you should check the VAT and duty rates with your local customs and excise.

Having a friend carry a guitar into the country for you and not paying VAT and duty is simply smuggling, lots of people get away with it, but your very valuable instrument could be impounded and you could be charged with an offence.

I have heard stories!
Old 11-13-2019, 12:19 AM
Charter Member

Thanks to all for the suggestions! In Switzerland the VAT is 7.7% and the import duty is 3%, so 10% I can live with. The shipping was quoted to 150 dollars. Everything was perfect - until the sellerr got cold feet and was uncomfortable shipping to Europe.

My new plan is to fly to Canada to visit my dad on his 60th birthday. I will have the guitar shipped to the US border and will carry it home with me. I did this during the summer with great results.

The flight costs about 1000 dollars, and I was planning to pay about half of that in various fees - so it seems to be a reasonable solution. I just need to convince my wife of that!

Last edited by brianlcox; 11-13-2019 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlcox View Post
the buyer [I assume you mean "seller" fmcr note] got cold feet and was uncomfortable shipping to Europe.

The flight costs about 1000 dollars, and I was planning to pay about half of that in various fees - so it seems to be a reasonable solution.!
There are countries in Europe to which one might reasonably hesitate to ship a guitar, but I have never heard that Switzerland is one of them.

It would be cheaper, if that's an issue, to make an effort to reassure the seller about that.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Yes, I meant seller - editted. Thanks.

I tried to reason with the seller, but he wanted to sell within the US. Can't blame him for that. It's his guitar.

I think we found a solution that works well for everyone, so I'm happy. I should be meeting my new guitar in under a month!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion