The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-27-2019, 07:35 AM

Very sorry for your loss. I was in your position several years ago and it was indeed a very sad time. Which ever guitar you choose will be one that can remind you of your mother because she helped to make it possible. A (re-imagined) Martin D-41 is the best all around guitar I own. Similar to the one with pictures posted previously except Ambertone finish. Best of luck moving forward.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
Many of us have been friends here at the AGF for years (I first joined in 2009, quit, then came back) and here's a chance for everyone to put in a "boast" for your favorite guitar. I lost a parent a couple of weeks ago (she was 89, I am 66), and will be receiving a substantial inheritance and plan on spending up to 6K or so on a new instrument. It will probably be several months until the Estate is released (I'm the PR), so I have time to think it through.

As many may know, I have been a Gibson player for years and years, but I would like to get something besides a Bozeman instrument, 'specially since Ren is no longer there.

Style of music is country, fingerpicking and strumming, and I use dreads mostly. I'm leaning towards Taylor at the current time because my entry-level 110e is very impressive for both playability and tone, but want to be open to anything. I'm also leaning towards a nice Martin D-something. I lead worship at church, too. I have a link in my sig if you want to listen to my playing.

Soooo . . . . Suggestions anyone?

Hi Mark...

Condolences on your loss.

So...tonally...what do you feel like you might be looking for as compared to what you currently have now? If you have an idea of "the sound you hear in your head"...as it were...give us an idea, and we can narrow down the choice range a wee bit for you.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 10-27-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I'm sorry for your loss. May your parents' memory be a blessing.

With $6k available to spend on an instrument, the world is pretty much your oyster. While I own Martin and Taylor guitars, I would be looking beyond the big three brands. Brands that come to mind (in no particular order) are Bourgeois, Collings, Goodall, Lowden, Santa Cruz. I'd put Olson on the list but I think they are priced beyond the $6k target price, but I could be wrong. But if you're going to stay with one of the big three, as stated by someone else, a D41 might be a good choice. I really liked the pre-V Taylor 914 and 818.
Just to add to this, you will not find an Olson for this price, certainly not new and I don't know that I have ever seen a used one in that range either although maybe there is one out there.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:12 AM

You might consider making an experience out of it and allocating a portion of the total toward a buying trip. Without getting into a cheerleading match wherein everyone votes for their favorite shop, I'll just say you could do worse than a long weekend in Nashville. Odds are you could find something worthwhile *and* make a lasting memory to boot. A couple of us might even join you for a Saturday shop crawl.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Half the fun of buying a new (or another) guitar, is deciding exactly what you want, what you "need" and what will 2fit" you and your style.

You have mentioned Gibson, Martin and Taylor - the "big three.

I suggest that you decide which of these three directions you want to go -

If it is Taylor - go upon your way rejoicing - as I cannot advise.

You say you don't want another Gibson, but I perceive that you like their designs.

If you are drawn to a Martin or a Gibson design but don;t want either brand, then I'd recommend that you consider Collings.

Like Kerbie, I am a convinced Collings fan and have been since my first one in 1999 when I bought my first DS2h - a 12 fret dread with the perfect fretboard width neck profile and sound for me. Since then I've bought four more - three more 12 fret dreads and a 000 plus a Waterloo.

Fit, finish and general presentation is just perfect. I've had Santa Cruz, Bourgeois, H&D, and Martins a plenty and some Gibsons, but my Collings are "the one".
This way you can go to Dread, (12 or 14) "P" 0,00,000 (12), O, (14) OM, and then CJ (Jumbo) SJ (Super Jumbo) C series - (like L-00) etc.,etc.
In fact I think they might actually offer more Martin and Gibson standard designs than Gibson or Martin, plus you can have various wood and trim level options and the standard or the "T" (Traditional) versions which are kinda like the Martin Authentic line.
Also their customer service are second to none.

What's not to love: https://www.collingsguitars.com/acoustic-guitars/

(My only affiliation is that I love the things!)
Old 10-27-2019, 08:54 AM

The music store where I get lessons in Seattle has a lot of Collings and despite having enough guitars (I know, hahahahahahahaha), the one that made me seriously think about either selling one or just out buying it was a Collings D1 traditional (baked top),. It didn't have that clarity that some people dislike about them and was close to a Gibson sound but just a fantastic guitar. When I came back the next week it was gone.
https://themusicemporium.com/guitars...ka-traditional

Last edited by GeneralDreedle; 10-27-2019 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Many of us have been friends here at the AGF for years (I first joined in 2009, quit, then came back) and here's a chance for everyone to put in a "boast" for your favorite guitar. I lost a parent a couple of weeks ago (she was 89, I am 66), and will be receiving a substantial inheritance and plan on spending up to 6K or so on a new instrument. It will probably be several months until the Estate is released (I'm the PR), so I have time to think it through.

As many may know, I have been a Gibson player for years and years, but I would like to get something besides a Bozeman instrument, 'specially since Ren is no longer there.

Style of music is country, fingerpicking and strumming, and I use dreads mostly. I'm leaning towards Taylor at the current time because my entry-level 110e is very impressive for both playability and tone, but want to be open to anything. I'm also leaning towards a nice Martin D-something. I lead worship at church, too. I have a link in my sig if you want to listen to my playing.

Soooo . . . . Suggestions anyone?
My Condolences On Your Loss.

Consider the earthy elegance of the new Taylor 717e or 517e Grand Pacific. My new 717e Grand Pacific Builder's Edition Wild Honey Burst checks all the boxes for me for tone and playability.

NGD Review Of My Taylor 717e Grand Pacific Builder's Edition Wild Honey Burst

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 10-27-2019 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
....I've played [Gibsons] to death through the decades, and want to move to something else.
Well, in that case, you ought to get a jumbo Guild F-55E (formerly the F-50R) or the F-55 Maple.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 10-27-2019, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

I've owned over 330 high end acoustic guitars and I recommend in that price range a used Goodall or Froggy Bottom. Sorry for your loss!

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 10-27-2019, 09:30 AM

Yamaha LL56 Custom. Amazing spec, impeccable build quality including nitro finish, and about as good a guitar as you'll find anywhere. Each one is hand built by ONE luthier in Yamaha's Hamamatsu custom facility. It might be a few hundred over your budget:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7hzQMq94wY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClFurEQMWbY

Last edited by AndrewG; 10-27-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:46 AM

If I had half your budget I would be looking at one of the higher end Guilds.

But on your budget? A Froggie I think, even if I had to go used.

I am also in your situation, except that I don't know about the hefty inheritance part of it. My Dad passed last year. My mom is 94 and she still recognizes who we are, but there are a lot of circuits up there that do not connect properly anymore. In home care is expensive, and whittles a lifetime of savings down inexorably.

I don't want to think about what this all will look like in a few decades, when it is our generation's turn (you have a few years on me, but not too many).
Old 10-27-2019, 09:58 AM

Mark - so sorry for your loss. It's a loss that you never quite get over - you knew your Mom longer than anyone else on this earth.

But I have a wonderful suggestion for you. Consider having Dale Fairbanks build a custom guitar for you.

www.fairbanksguitars.com
http://www.catfishkeith.com/guitars/...nksguitars.htm.

Dale's Gibson re-creations are fabulous, his craftsmanship, flawless. Of course, do a search on AGF for other opinions. Perhaps the most interesting thread is this build thread from Justin Wo: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=525523

I hope to be ahead of you in line as I will be commissioning mine (hopefully) on Thursday!
Old 10-27-2019, 06:12 PM

If I had the money, I'd go after a Bourgeois D-150.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:47 PM
Runaway Tomato

Great ideas so far, everyone! To the ones who have suggested custom builds, I would probably go to Tim McKnight because we had a little bit of a friendship during the days when I was a Moderator here at AGF and I trust them. Production guitars, I'm leaning towards Martin (D41 or 35) or a Taylor Grand Auditorium (814). This comment may ruffle a feather or two, but my Taylor 110e (which is their entry-level dread) has a substantially better build quality and almost as good of a tone when compared to my last Gibson (a Hummingbird Pro) so to go to an 800 series Taylor is a very attractive choice. And of course, Martin has always been an option because of their sound, quality and heritage. The Martin sound seems to fit my playing style.

To those who have sent condolences, thank you so much! Keep the guitar suggestions coming . . . .
Former AGF Moderator
Old 10-27-2019, 10:51 PM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
Well, in that case, you ought to get a jumbo Guild F-55E (formerly the F-50R) or the F-55 Maple.

That looks pretty! I liked Guild back in the early 80s late 70s. Do you know if Ren Ferguson is still there? I trust his builds
Former AGF Moderator

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion