The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-12-2018, 10:50 AM

Default Adding another Mic Advice

This is for my small home studio setup.. Just trying to get some nice recordings of me playing and singing.

I recently scored the Audio-Technica AT2035 and it is sounding great. I'm recording separate tracks for guitars and vocals using the AT mic for each track.

I also have a Senn e935 Dynamic mic and a MXL990.

OK.. So I am now thinking of getting another condenser recording mic.. To experiment with... Either to use by itself or in conjunction with the AT2035. Mainly to record the acoustic guitar tracks.

Some Choices:
AKG Perception P170 SDC which are around $75 ea.
Audio Technica AT2020 $99
Samson C02 Pair for $120

Which mic or please make suggestion of a mic(s) that would give me most mileage. In the home studio environment.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
This is for my small home studio setup.. Just trying to get some nice recordings of me playing and singing.

I recently scored the Audio-Technica AT2035 and it is sounding great. I'm recording separate tracks for guitars and vocals using the AT mic for each track.

I also have a Senn e935 Dynamic mic and a MXL990.

OK.. So I am now thinking of getting another condenser recording mic.. To experiment with... Either to use by itself or in conjunction with the AT2035. Mainly to record the acoustic guitar tracks.

Some Choices:
AKG Perception P170 SDC which are around $75 ea.
Audio Technica AT2020 $99
Samson C02 Pair for $120

Which mic or please make suggestion of a mic(s) that would give me most mileage. In the home studio environment.
IMO if it were me I think that to "get the most mileage" over what you already have I would wait and save up more money. I personally don't think adding another "Budget mic" will offer that much to what you already have .
Personally I would wait until you can comfortably jump to the next monetary category of say $500 to $1000

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 12-12-2018, 11:24 AM

Thanks Kev..

I hear you on stepping up to the next level to get better. That may be possible down the road. For now I was thinking of a SDC to experiment with..

Is there anything in the $200-300 range worth looking? That's about my max right now.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:58 AM

If your getting the AKG P170's let me know how they work. I see a lot of drummers who use SDC's for overheads and guitarist who use them in a xy pairing for acoustic recording. My Martin does not have a pickup.

I'm using a pair of LDC P120's for drums and a single P120 for the Martin.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Kev..

I hear you on stepping up to the next level to get better. That may be possible down the road. For now I was thinking of a SDC to experiment with..

Is there anything in the $200-300 range worth looking? That's about my max right now.
Honestly I am not really up on SDC 's ( I have only ever owned one) but in today's world that budget should get a pretty useable mic or even pair. Hopefully folks with more hands experience with SDC in that price range will chime in

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 12-12-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
......For now I was thinking of a SDC to experiment with..

I have recently got a stereo matched pair of SE Electronics SE8 mics and believe they are well worth considering. A single mic is available for $249.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 12-12-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodB View Post
I have recently got a stereo matched pair of SE Electronics SE8 mics and believe they are well worth considering. A single mic is available for $249.
Rod - thank you for the suggestion of SE8.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:33 PM

I work with Shure KSM 137's (pair), and they would fall into your budget/category. I don't have wide experience with lots of SDC's but these have worked well for me for a number of years.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ser-microphone
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 12-12-2018, 07:08 PM

I would HIGHLY recommend the Line Audio CM3. It is about $120 USD available from No Hype Audio in Europe:
https://www.nohypeaudio.com/lineaudioproducts.htm

It has been favorably compared to Schoeps MK21:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/remot...oeps-mk21.html

I have owned one for a year and I find myself more impressed by it as time goes on. It is clear and flat just like I expect from an SDC.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 12-12-2018, 07:30 PM

Thanks Gordon ..
I will check the CM3 out.
Thanks for the links too.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
I work with Shure KSM 137's (pair), and they would fall into your budget/category. I don't have wide experience with lots of SDC's but these have worked well for me for a number of years.
Will take a look... Thanks !
Old 12-13-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
I would HIGHLY recommend the Line Audio CM3. It is about $120 USD available from No Hype Audio in Europe:
https://www.nohypeaudio.com/lineaudioproducts.htm...
I have owned one for a year and I find myself more impressed by it as time goes on. It is clear and flat just like I expect from an SDC.
Those Line Audio mics have a great reputation on the Gearslutz board, which says a lot.

Some other mics that have established themselves as high quality, lower cost alternatives:

Oktava MC012. Long reputation as an excellent, affordable SDC.

3U Audio. These mics use high quality components and capsules. This thread is long but very informative and well worth the read. https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-...-voicings.html The thread starter, kidvybes (aka Dennis Dreadstone) was a highly respected member and mic aficionado (RIP).
Old 12-13-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
Those Line Audio mics have a great reputation on the Gearslutz board, which says a lot.

Some other mics that have established themselves as high quality, lower cost alternatives:

Oktava MC012. Long reputation as an excellent, affordable SDC.

3U Audio. These mics use high quality components and capsules. This thread is long but very informative and well worth the read. https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-...-voicings.html The thread starter, kidvybes (aka Dennis Dreadstone) was a highly respected member and mic aficionado (RIP).
Thanks DukeX.. Great info
Old 12-13-2018, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

You mentioned you are looking for another mic to experiment with. A Cascade fathead ribbon mic would allow you to try M-S recording technique. If you want to try a wide cardioid sdc I agree with the Line Audio CM3 recommendation.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 12-15-2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Rod - thank you for the suggestion of SE8.
I have a matched pair of Se Electronics SE5 I think they are but they are discontinued if I am not mistaken. They are similar to but a small stepmdown in price to the 8. I like them fine. I also have a really nice ribbon mic from Se the Voodoo 1.

I like Se products and they are worthy of your consideration.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD