The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-09-2018, 05:16 AM

Default Triplet Strumming on Guitar vs Ukulele

Hi,

Long time no post here.

I've been playing guitar for years and just recently pick up an ukulele (Low G strung). I have some confusion over how triplet strum is done on Ukulele vs on guitar.

1. With guitars, I once learnt how to do triplet strum; flamenco style which pattern goes like : Thumb Upstrum, index finger downstrum, Thumb downstrum

See the instructional video here : Triple Strum on Guitar

2. On ukulele its : Index downstrum, thumb upstrum, index upstrum Triple Strum on Ukulele

Now to those who play both guitar and uke, which method are you using when executing triplet strumming. do you favor the first approach over the second ?
Or any of you learn both method and executing it differently depending on instrument ?

Thanks for any help...

2010 VAOM-04
2012 Custom Secco Guitar

2013 Collings OM2H

2014 Cordoba Fusion 12 Natural

YouTube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/hendragunawanng

Last edited by Hendra; 12-10-2018 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:26 AM

On guitar I tend to use a plectrum for strumming. For ukulele there are no fixed rules and the way you play may also depend on if it's strung linear or reentrant. I tend to strum mainly with my middle finger but on the linear ones I also often use the the thumb to emphasize the low G so it's a hybrid picking and strumming.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:15 PM

Although I can't remember ever having done it, on guitar I would down strum with my finger nails, down strum with my thumb and up strum with either my thumb or one or more of my fingers. This would match my hand movement for strumming a swing rhythm.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:04 PM

You’re going for a sound. Use any way you get that sound. Folks play triplets different ways on the uke but they all sound the same. (In my opinion).
Old 12-09-2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
On guitar I tend to use a plectrum for strumming. For ukulele there are no fixed rules and the way you play may also depend on if it's strung linear or reentrant. I tend to strum mainly with my middle finger but on the linear ones I also often use the the thumb to emphasize the low G so it's a hybrid picking and strumming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
Although I can't remember ever having done it, on guitar I would down strum with my finger nails, down strum with my thumb and up strum with either my thumb or one or more of my fingers. This would match my hand movement for strumming a swing rhythm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiltingshirley View Post
You’re going for a sound. Use any way you get that sound. Folks play triplets different ways on the uke but they all sound the same. (In my opinion).
Thanks for the feedback. I use plectrum only on my steel string. On my nylon (which I played most often nowadays) and uke, I would used fingers exclusively for strumming. no plectrum. my uke is strung with Low G.

I have been experimenting over the weekend using both method, I was able to memorize both method eventually and switch at will by allowing some adjustment time. Looks like I will be sticking with the first approach (flamenco style) which is basically the same with "stanron" approach (although in different sequence).

I do agree with "quiltingshirley" that both approach kinda sound the same but I chose to stick with the flamenco approach for both instrument. Reason being the flamenco approach feels more natural (when switching at the end of song) from most strumming style to fast triplet strum roll.

Thanks for all the great insight.

2010 VAOM-04
2012 Custom Secco Guitar

2013 Collings OM2H

YouTube Channel
Old 12-10-2018, 07:49 AM

I usually play a fast triplet as D-U-D, meaning it's U on the next beat. If it's strings of triplets, then it's |DUD|UDU|DUD| etc.
I'd do it the same way on both instruments whether strumming with pick or thumb/fingers.
The difference is I rarely strum with fingers on steel-string guitar (it damages my nails), but I rarely use a pick on uke: I strum down with fingernails and up with thumb nail. But the direction is the same in each case.

If the tempo is slow enough - less than 120 say - I'd do it as |DUD|DUD|DUD, because I like to keep downs on the beat when I can. But that really depends on what's the most comfortable way to keep the triplets even.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
I usually play a fast triplet as D-U-D, meaning it's U on the next beat. If it's strings of triplets, then it's |DUD|UDU|DUD| etc.
I'd do it the same way on both instruments whether strumming with pick or thumb/fingers.
The difference is I rarely strum with fingers on steel-string guitar (it damages my nails), but I rarely use a pick on uke: I strum down with fingernails and up with thumb nail. But the direction is the same in each case.

If the tempo is slow enough - less than 120 say - I'd do it as |DUD|DUD|DUD, because I like to keep downs on the beat when I can. But that really depends on what's the most comfortable way to keep the triplets even.
I used to do the same approach as you described above until I saw some video where some real fast roll is required and I can't seem to keep up with the speed using that approach. Especially on some of those flamenco style strumming. That's why I did some search on YouTube and came across both video posted above.

It feels awkward at first to learn to strum with the fleshy part of your fingers (ukulele approach on the 2nd video) thats why I settle with the flamenco approach.

2010 VAOM-04
2012 Custom Secco Guitar

2013 Collings OM2H

YouTube Channel
Old 12-10-2018, 08:11 PM

Yes for low G the flamenco approach makes more sense. Starting with index may be more useful for reentrant.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write