The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-02-2018, 04:26 PM

Default Take a chance, or stay comfortable?

I have come across a job opportunity that pays more (quite a lot more) money. But that would mean leaving a 15 year career behind. My current job is with the local government, and with that comes the perks of a cushy government job protected by a very strong union. From a ridiculous amount of PTO, to pretty much being unfireable, it has brought me a level of stability that’s unattainable anywhere else.

But truth is that I haven’t been happy there for many years. It feels like life is just passing by stuck in the same routine. I see myself doing the exact same thing in that place in the next ten years and that’s a very depressing thought. I guess most people are ok with routine if that means they’re safe and stable, but not me.

The downside of this opportunity is of course the risk. Job security is not as good, I could get laid off at any time. But the pay is much better, the benefits package is comparable, and down right better in some cases (the PTO is about half as much). There is also a more legit chance of advancement, when compared to my current job, which is very political. And it’s gonna be pretty much a one man show with just me and my immediate supervisor.

What would you guys do? Stick to the secure but stale job, or go for that risk that can be highly rewarding?
Old 12-02-2018, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

So ... a little perspective ... back in my mid-20's, I landed a job with the Federal Govt. Very similar perks that you refer to ... but ... I was young and had the fire in my belly and also got a shot at the money and faster pace of the "private sector" and I took it ... and did pretty well for myself. Had a nice long run (20+ years) ... and then things started to change; due to contract changes my position(s) weren't as stable, and I just got tired of the eventual stress of "contract renewal time" coming around every fiscal year. So a few years ago when I got the chance to go back to being a Govvie, I took it. And while it did come with a significant pay cut, I was able to move some things around and make it work; and I am really enjoying the benefits and that stability.

All that to say this ... it depends; depends on where you are in your journey, who's depending on you, what "discriminators" do you have under your belt that make you more marketable than the next guy, what are the long term prospects for the sector you are entering, etc, etc ... I can tell you that there is much value in enjoying what you do, but that security is a hard won perk ...

I didn't help at all, did I? Sorry ...
Old 12-02-2018, 04:51 PM

How important is job security to you? I wouldn't leave a job just to make more money if I was happy ... I would leave if I was stagnating and felt unmotivated but that all depends on how important job security is for you.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:56 PM
Musical minimalist

Forget about the money for a minute - are you confident the new job would be something you would be more passionate about?

Do you have a family to consider in the process?

Old 12-02-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
How important is job security to you? I wouldn't leave a job just to make more money if I was happy ... I would leave if I was stagnating and felt unmotivated but that all depends on how important job security is for you.
This is definitely a predicament.. but truth be told, more info needed to truly answer.. but at the end of the day, my dad used to say

"no matter *what*, go with your gut. Your gut feeling and that instinct will rarely lead you astray".

Biggest factor, as I see it, is similar to what someone else pointed out: where you're at on your journey. If you're 60 yrs old and only 6 or 7 yrs away from retiring to a Gov. Pension my answer would likely be different than if you're my age (35) and still looking at working at your current place for 30+ years.im guessing the answer is somewhere in the middle. Also, exactly *how* volatile is the sector you're going into and if you get some experience there, even if you do get laid off, how hard would it be to flip that experience into a whole new career in the new industry..

Food for thought.. everything happens for a reason. Good luck!!
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 12-02-2018, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post

... But truth is that I haven’t been happy there for many years ...
I just picked out the part that stood out to me. Best of luck!

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 12-02-2018, 05:54 PM

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.
I’ve been laid-off 3 times in my career.
Each time was very difficult for me.
If I were you, I would stay where you are.
Job stability is very important, at least in my opinion.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludere View Post
So ... a little perspective ... back in my mid-20's, I landed a job with the Federal Govt. Very similar perks that you refer to ... but ... I was young and had the fire in my belly and also got a shot at the money and faster pace of the "private sector" and I took it ... and did pretty well for myself. Had a nice long run (20+ years) ... and then things started to change; due to contract changes my position(s) weren't as stable, and I just got tired of the eventual stress of "contract renewal time" coming around every fiscal year. So a few years ago when I got the chance to go back to being a Govvie, I took it. And while it did come with a significant pay cut, I was able to move some things around and make it work; and I am really enjoying the benefits and that stability.

All that to say this ... it depends; depends on where you are in your journey, who's depending on you, what "discriminators" do you have under your belt that make you more marketable than the next guy, what are the long term prospects for the sector you are entering, etc, etc ... I can tell you that there is much value in enjoying what you do, but that security is a hard won perk ...

I didn't help at all, did I? Sorry ...
Every little insight helps trust me! Where am I in my journey? Now that is the question isn’t it... I’m where I think I must do something in order to grow more as a person/professional. At 43 years old, I’m nowhere near I’d like to be, and I think I need a drastic change in order to satisfy my own ambitions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Job security is very important of course. I don’t want to be in a volatile job situation. The person I’d be replacing is a 15+ year veteran that’s retiring. So that means the position is not all that volatile.

The money is secondary, but a good motivator. But the main reason why I’m considering this is because I’m quite unhappy there. That’s where my conflict is, stay unhappy but stable, or try something new?
Old 12-02-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:

The money is secondary, but a good motivator. But the main reason why I’m considering this is because I’m quite unhappy there. That’s where my conflict is, stay unhappy but stable, or try something new?
Were you happy when you first started your job?
If so, what is causing you to be quite unhappy?
Can you perhaps change departments within the same company?
Are you sure you will be very happy in your new job?
Old 12-02-2018, 06:32 PM

Not sure what to tell u. The steady same ole same ole has its perks but it does gets old. I’m in about the same spot but I make good money at a dead end job where the chance of promotion is near zero. But I’ve use the time there to pay my house/cars and toys off. I do have a wife and kids so I’ll do whatever I have to to support them. The good thing about ur current job is u can probably leave work at work. The new one might not allow that. If ur single or no kids or older kids than that will allow some easier options
Old 12-02-2018, 06:48 PM

"Ships are safe in the harbor. But that's not what ships are for."
Old 12-02-2018, 06:58 PM

The fact that you write:
Quote:
I think I need a drastic change
pretty much says it all to me. Take the risk. It seems that if you do not, you will wonder about it, and maybe even regret not doing it. Regrets are the worst.

HOWEVER, you have not elaborated on some questions asked of you. Primarily, is there a family to consider, a spouse? That can be a major factor.

If it is just you to consider, I say go for it. It sounds like you are truly unhappy where you are.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 12-02-2018, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Depends upon your responsibilities, obligations and risk-tolerance. Do you have a family depending upon you?

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 12-02-2018, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Although I'm a retired teacher, I did a fair bit of moving around during those 30 years, ostensibly trying to find that perfect position. Some jobs were better than others and some were considerably worse. Ultimately I benefitted from those moves, and I retired with very good benefits which I'm very glad about. Looking at my adult career and the info given by the OP, I'd be inclined to suggest that he stick with his current job, do what he can to make it as enjoyable as possible and accept that a job is just a way to earn a living and prepare him for retirement. Make your life outside of work as fulfilling as possible and try to accept that your job is not necessarily who you are; it's what you do. I've never worked in the private sector, and I suppose that there are many of you who can share the benefits therein. Maybe I'm just rationalizing my own life choices, but I'd be very concerned about the negative "what ifs" that sometimes occur....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-02-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
At 43 years old, I’m nowhere near I’d like to be, and I think I need a drastic change in order to satisfy my own ambitions.

But the main reason why I’m considering this is because I’m quite unhappy there. That’s where my conflict is, stay unhappy but stable, or try something new?
You say you have been unhappy with work for a number of years....very unhappy. Given that, and that you are 43 years of age, I'm thinking you will likely need to make a change before you "retire" (whatever "retire" might mean to you). So it sounds like the question is whether this is the right time for you to make a change, and whether this opportunity is the one you want to take a chance on.

If I were you, I'd look carefully at the details of what financial benefits you will take with you if you leave your government job, and what you will leave behind. For example, I imagine you will get a partial vestiture in a pension. Will you get 1/4 of your salary, or 1/2, or some other amount? Are you close to the next tier?

I guess I should acknowledge that I left my "safe" job when I was in my mid-40's, and it turned out well for me. No regrets whatsoever. But I did lots of research about my monthly cash flow, the benefits package that I was leaving behind, and weighing the risks. I didn't have kids in college, I had a "medium sized" mortgage payment, and my wife had a good job with reliable income. So the risk I was taking was mostly regarding my lifestyle and the particular form of my retirement, not whether I was going to keep a roof over my head.

I also have a bias, which is, "you can always make more money, but you can never make more time." That overstates it a bit, because I have seen that illness and/or disability can make it impossible to make money. But the last part is absolutely true: time is one of the most precious features of our lives. We know that even a "long and healthy life" will not last all that long.

If you are unhappy, you have a responsibility to yourself to do SOMETHING!! If you are uncertain about what to do, start keeping a journal, go for long walks in the woods, talk with friends, read some self-help books, hire a coach, see a therapist...do things that will help you develop clarity and definitiveness. If you are certain about what to do, then you just need to decide about timing, and the exact form of the change you will undertake.

Good luck!!

Last edited by buddyhu; 12-02-2018 at 08:06 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic