The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-01-2018, 07:43 AM

Default NGD Romero Creations Baritone Guilele

I come from a ukulele background, though I dappled in acoustic guitar about 13 years ago. I started back on acoustic guitar about 8 months ago and with the help of GAS have acquired a "few". I have a Cordoba C10 crossover and I enjoy the nylon string sound (ukulele like), it has a radius fretboard which to me is a big help. All my high end custom tenor and baritone ukes have a radius.

This background is added because a guilele seemed to be a nice marriage between uke and guitar, hence the name. Pepe Romero Jr is a great luthier and builder of custom classical guitars and ukuleles. He paired with Daniel Ho a few years back to start Romero Creations that make a line of unique Tiny Tenor ukes and other models. This baritone guilele is so new it is not really out in full distribution yet. But Andrew at Hawaii Music Supply also know as The Ukulelesite got a few in stock and I bought one about a month ago.

It is sold spruce top, solid mahogany back and sides with a mahogany neck. Ebony fretboard with a 20" radius, 50mm nut width, ebony string through bridge. I wanted this tuned E-E so Andrew put on an appropriate set of strings and did a great set up. It has a warm sweet tone, tension is naturally on the low side but not bad. I really enjoy the smaller size for portability and playing comfort. The fit, finish and most importantly the tone are all excellent and it is a joy to play. Is it better than my C10.....no, is it better than a custom baritone ukulele that costs 2.5 times as much...yes. Mainly because of the extra two strings. Below is the RC beside my Mya Moe baritone uke for size comparison.

Last edited by DownUpDave; 12-01-2018 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:50 AM

I'll sing a little harmony. I have the Signature 6-string S/R: "A 6-string guitar neck on a larger grand tenor uke body. This is essentially a nylon-strung parlor guitar, and has a great sound. Tuned like a guitar (E A D B G E)." - Elderly Instruments quote.

It is one of those 'this isn't possible' stringed instruments in which the full and rich sound belies the smaller dimensions. I imagine his $10,000 full sized classicals are every bit as good - that's only a half-joke.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
I'll sing a little harmony. I have the Signature 6-string S/R: "A 6-string guitar neck on a larger grand tenor uke body. This is essentially a nylon-strung parlor guitar, and has a great sound. Tuned like a guitar (E A D B G E)." - Elderly Instruments quote.

It is one of those 'this isn't possible' stringed instruments in which the full and rich sound belies the smaller dimensions. I imagine his $10,000 full sized classicals are every bit as good - that's only a half-joke.
I know someone that has the same instrument as you and she loves it. She lives in Kansas me in Canada so I have not played it. But the longer scale length then mine would be even better in E-E tuning.

You are right about the small size giving a big "real" sound. I have two uke friends that come from a classical guitar background and both were impressed with this. Tim went so far as to say he always hated guileles but this completely changed his mind. He always plays it when he comes over. Thanks for sharing

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical